Dunu vs. Monster
Aug 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shark

100+ Head-Fier
I have been lurking on here and reading up on things to help me make decisions, but have never needed to post. You guys are so dang thorough - thanks!

That goes until now because no one has pointed this out yet. 

Dunu is exactly copying Monster.
Ares = Turbine

etc

Am I right and this is worth disclosing, or am I wrong in pointing this out?

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Nope. The housings are in the same bling-like style(Dunu tones it down) but quite different. They use armature drivers and not dynamic. They don't sound alike etc. 

You can see how different they are. They think they are playing it safe in their re-emergence to put out things in a similar style to Monster since that is popular(up for debate, IMO, but maybe more in China). It is just some things though. Monster has nothing like the things Dunu has in their model plans http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/566191/dunu-new-product-year-plan-2011-12. They don't make clip-ons or earbuds or quad-armature phones or dual driver earbuds.

Just because they put out some "safe" products first inspired by Monster style or Senn sound to get the ball rolling doesn't mean they are copying others like Monster. Dunu went dark for a while but were around before Monster came to the scene.

I own the Ares and had the Turbine Gold on loan, so I have experienced both first hand. The only problem I have with the Ares design is that it is tuned to beef it up and darken it's sound. When I throw 75 Ohms on them, they are very competitive with the Phonak, Sunrise Xcape and other neutral phones. They sacrificed some potential SQ for consumer like sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back