Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Jan 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #211 of 3,012
Mine still exhibit mild sibilant. Open sounding, but sibilant on some pop recording. But really nice on classical.
Titan 1 now goes back to burn-in chamber.

Mine are rarely sibilant with the genres I'm listening with. I've become quite addicted to Titan, most recently with DX50 headphone out, which is strange because I usually dislike that player unless amped. I haven't listened to much else going on 3 days now, there's something about Titan which ticks many boxes.

I've been considering purchasing another DN-1000 but I'm not sure. Do you still have DN-1000? Do you think it pulls away from Titan in detail? It's very awkward going off memory.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #213 of 3,012
Mine are rarely sibilant with the genres I'm listening with. I've become quite addicted to Titan, most recently with DX50 headphone out, which is strange because I usually dislike that player unless amped. I haven't listened to much else going on 3 days now, there's something about Titan which ticks many boxes.

I've been considering purchasing another DN-1000 but I'm not sure. Do you still have DN-1000? Do you think it pulls away from Titan in detail? It's very awkward going off memory.

Mine are only sibilant if they are paired with an overly bright source, and the sibilance is in the recording to start with. So the way I look at it, they are faithful to the source - which is what I want an IEM to be.

I'll have a listen to the Titan vs the DN-1000 tonight, and see if I can write a quick comparison. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #214 of 3,012
I expect sibilance with many pieces of modern music these days. People should not be confusing recording sibilance with earphone sibilance. That said, the Titan 1 is a tiny bit prone to sibilance; for me the time course of it is very quick, so the sibilance is not bothersome. Rather, the overall brightness of the earphones can be a little off-putting at times. Most profoundly, however, I just don't feel a lot of emotion to the midrange, thanks largely in part to the laid-back midrange signature. To me, that would be the Titan 1's biggest weakness.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #215 of 3,012

Mine are only sibilant if they are paired with an overly bright source, and the sibilance is in the recording to start with. So the way I look at it, they are faithful to the source - which is what I want an IEM to be.

I'll have a listen to the Titan vs the DN-1000 tonight, and see if I can write a quick comparison. 

I currently own the DN-1000 and am thinking about getting the Titan, so I'd be very interested in this comparison as well.  In particular, I am wondering about bass quantity and quality between the two.  Thanks!

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #216 of 3,012
  Most profoundly, however, I just don't feel a lot of emotion to the midrange, thanks largely in part to the laid-back midrange signature. To me, that would be the Titan 1's biggest weakness.

I know what you mean with this Tom.  It's the sense of space, combined with the laid-back nature.  I actually quite like it though - as it makes for a very good "background listening" earphone - IE if you are concentrating on something else, and want to create a pleasant ambiance, but don't want the music to be the focus.  I find them particularly good when I'm reading for leisure (for example).

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #217 of 3,012
I am currently using my Brainwavz R3 (ver 2) as my main out and about IEM. I actually like it's sound signature a lot, but I am totally fed up with it's mediocre fit and wildly unruly cable.

Dunu gets a lot of praising around here and this strikes me as a great bang for the buck IEM. Everyone agrees that these are very comfortable which is just as important for me as sound. Love it that these sound spacious (wonder if anyone can compare to the R3s?) but I am afraid of all the V shape comments. Is it too lacking in vocals/main instruments?

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #218 of 3,012

I know what you mean with this Tom.  It's the sense of space, combined with the laid-back nature.  I actually quite like it though - as it makes for a very good "background listening" earphone - IE if you are concentrating on something else, and want to create a pleasant ambiance, but don't want the music to be the focus.  I find them particularly good when I'm reading for leisure (for example).

Also, a bit of a metallic cold sense.  Don't you think?  They are fantastic, no doubt about it, but they don't replace everything in my collection but rather compliment with their unique signature and of course - the design!

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #219 of 3,012
smile.gif
 - my problem at the moment is till working through review units, so I haven't had the chance to listen much for pleasure/relaxation for a little while now. 

If I had my personal choice, I'd only be using 3 at this stage - A83, Altone200 and Titan (maybe occasionally subbing in the Arcana V2).  So I guess in a way the Titan have transplanted some of my other IEM choices.

I don't really find them cold or metallic (I know others possibly could) - but I think your prefs and mine are a little different.  I notice where I like the slightly brighter more detailed ear/head-phones, your prefs are for the slightly warmer ones.  All good though - variety is spice of life :wink: 

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #221 of 3,012

smile.gif
 - my problem at the moment is till working through review units, so I haven't had the chance to listen much for pleasure/relaxation for a little while now. 

If I had my personal choice, I'd only be using 3 at this stage - A83, Altone200 and Titan (maybe occasionally subbing in the Arcana V2).  So I guess in a way the Titan have transplanted some of my other IEM choices.

I don't really find them cold or metallic (I know others possibly could) - but I think your prefs and mine are a little different.  I notice where I like the slightly brighter more detailed ear/head-phones, your prefs are for the slightly warmer ones.  All good though - variety is spice of life :wink: 

Exactly!!!
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #222 of 3,012
  Looks like the soundstage is a big selling point for these.

Any comparison against Havi B3's soundstage?

I can do that comparison later tonight (in about 6 or so hours) when I get home.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #223 of 3,012
Still burning my pair in and getting to know them. Also waiting for my Sony A15 to show up later this week which will help evaluate the Titan-1. I can confirm that Earhoox work well on the Titan-1 if one felt the need for them to super stable for any particular activities
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #224 of 3,012

DN-1000 with the JVC eartips is still my reference IEM. I haven't heard anything else has better tonal balance under $1k, better than DN-1000. DN-1000, like my Beyerdynamic T1, they are instrumental for me, tools that I really need. Not just an IEM that I like the sound. If my DN-1000 spoil, I will buy another one.
I compared them, DN-1000 and Titan 1, still prefer the DN-1000 with JVC eartips. DN-1000 IMHO still better, with more linear tonal balance than Titan 1. Looking at the price difference with DN-1000, Titan 1 is good for the price. I do like Titan 1, but so far only for certain recordings, not for closed miked vocal. Titan 1 is good for certain recordings that doesn't cause the treble peak on Titan 1 to show up. But with many closed miked recordings, sibilant on vocal is mostly always there.

I expect sibilance with many pieces of modern music these days. People should not be confusing recording sibilance with earphone sibilance. That said, the Titan 1 is a tiny bit prone to sibilance; for me the time course of it is very quick, so the sibilance is not bothersome. Rather, the overall brightness of the earphones can be a little off-putting at times. Most profoundly, however, I just don't feel a lot of emotion to the midrange, thanks largely in part to the laid-back midrange signature. To me, that would be the Titan 1's biggest weakness.

I'm not so sensitive to sibilant, mild to moderate sibilant is fine with me. But there are some who are allergic to even a very mild sibilant, so they need to know about the fact that Titan 1 is a bit prone to sibilant, in comparison to some of my reference IEMs, one of which is DUNU DN-1000. Most of closed miked recordings, whatever the genre, are more or less prone to sibilant. So distant miked recordings such as classical, and also many other modern genres, for example the famous jazz album, 'Jazz at the Pawnshop' which recorded using ORTF microphone setup, they sounds good on Titan 1. So at this time, unless burn-in will cause some changes to Titan 1, I would say Titan 1 is best for distant miked recordings, such as most classical recordings, binaural recordings, and other that used stereo miking techniques as the main microphones. The emphasized treble does bring classical recordings to live, that I really like.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #225 of 3,012
I posted my review. I've been super busy so it's not exactly how I would have preferred but I wanted to get it out in circulation.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/12466

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back