Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Jan 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #61 of 3,012
To my ears the GR07 had more of a sizzle to their treble than actual sibilance. It wasn't as much a mere exaggeration of S-sounds as a constant sizzle that I heard e.g. with violins too.

Apart from that, I think they were more laid-back and less analytical than the Titans. Some would probably say more "natural". Don't get me wrong, the Titans don't sound artificial at all, but they were obviously tuned for detail extraction.

On a completely different note, having them vent towards the inside is pretty clever design and their level of isolation a pleasant surprise.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #62 of 3,012
Subed!

Titan 1 looks stunning!  And impressions from Head-fi 'gurus' have been very positive 
etysmile.gif

The design reminds me of Superlux HD381 I review many years back 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #63 of 3,012
  Titan 1 looks stunning!  And impressions from Head-fi 'gurus' have been very positive 
etysmile.gif

The design reminds me of Superlux HD381 I review many years back 
regular_smile .gif

You and I were the first two to review the HD381 all that time ago --- such a great earphone at a super cheap price!
beerchug.gif

The Titan 1 looks so much like the HD381/EX90LP from the outside, but has the build quality improvements of the Atomic Floyd models --- that alone made me want it. It's ironic that I wanted it as an homage to a $15 earphone, but it's true!

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #65 of 3,012

Characteristics of "half in-ear" earphones

Two words: BIG. DRIVER. Half in-ear designs all use large diaphragm, usually in the realm of 13.5 millimeters. Conventional logic tells us that in this case, bigger is indeed better. After all, a 13.5 mm diaphragm has nearly double the surface area of a standard 9 mm diaphragm. The increased surface area means that consistency of the diaphragm that would be easier to maintain in a massive production line, amongst other technical reasons. "Half in-ear" designs all share one major drawback --- sub-par isolation. However, they also allow the listener to experience a wide-open feel to the music, and that's why "half in-ear" designs have been manufacturers' preferred choice for delivering great sound at a reasonable price. But as good as might sound, they've never been the ones on the bleeding edge of transducer technology.
 ​

Sounds to me like the Sony EX-1000 with a large dynamic driver and poor isolation.  When I had them, I preferred the tips not being inserted too tight which created a airier sound making the sound stage pretty wide.

Apart from that, I think they were more laid-back and less analytical than the Titans. Some would probably say more "natural". Don't get me wrong, the Titans don't sound artificial at all, but they were obviously tuned for detail extraction.

I don't mind this.  

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #66 of 3,012
  Sounds to me like the Sony EX-1000 with a large dynamic driver and poor isolation.  When I had them, I preferred the tips not being inserted too tight which created a airier sound making the sound stage pretty wide.

I don't mind this.  

The Titans are smaller and much more inconspicuous than the EX1000. Soundwise, the Sonys are a prime example of a holistic earphone in my book, they offer plenty of detail and let you zoom in on it, but don't put it on display.

The Titans are quite the opposite. Their detail is attention-grabbing and very impressive, but I probably wouldn't use them for "background" listening in the office for example.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #67 of 3,012

You and I were the first two to review the HD381 all that time ago --- such a great earphone at a super cheap price!
beerchug.gif

The Titan 1 looks so much like the HD381/EX90LP from the outside, but has the build quality improvements of the Atomic Floyd models --- that alone made me want it. It's ironic that I wanted it as an homage to a $15 earphone, but it's true!

beerchug.gif

HD381 is still very valuable for money, and most important, enjoyable IEM 
wink_face.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #68 of 3,012

They Titans are smaller and much more inconspicuous than the EX1000. Soundwise, the Sonys are a prime example of a holistic earphone in my book, they offer plenty of detail and let you zoom in on it, but don't put it on display.

The Titans are quite the opposite. Their detail is attention-grabbing and very impressive, but I probably wouldn't use them for "background" listening in the office for example.

Very nice explanation!

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #70 of 3,012
And my review is up : http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/12309

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #72 of 3,012
  And my review is up : http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/12309

As always excellent review with good details!

The carrying case looks very nice, slim and pocket friendly.
The comparison with other IEMs is definitely very helpful!

The sound signature of Titan seems quite interesting, and most probably match my preference, as DN-1000 and Beyerdynamic T1 are both my reference now.

Thanks for the great review!

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #73 of 3,012
Jan 10, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #75 of 3,012
Ok, my review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/12333

In short, I love it - its absolutely great from packaging, build to sound. Its almost unreal for the $115 price Penon are selling it atm.

I really enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back