Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #2,431 of 3,012
  @Brooko

@twister6

@nmatheis

my friends, I was curious on your thoughts on the detachable cables of both the t3 and t5?

I'm all for the idea of easily swapping the cable once something cuts out any such but in the past many "earphones" with detachable cables seem to bring a lot of issues to the table as well

like mmcx connectors on my vsd3s (its fine now, but it spins freely and I can see dust possibly seeping in between the gaps (which is bound to happen when the cable is not fixed)

and if you keep detaching them (like I did when I got the lunarshop cable, just to try em out) I noticed the connectors get more and more loose.

SOOO anyways long story short (does the t3s and t5's detachable connection feel sturdy? does it spin freely with little to no effort)?

I think I'll find out eventually but I wanted to hear your thoughts friends!

Expect to have a similar experience like with VSonic VSD3/3S.  The only difference is that a part of the connector hosted inside of the Titan shell is slightly different in comparison to VSD3 where the middle pin was more recessed.  Because of this improved connector part used in Titans, both stock and Lunashops/Penon cables leave a minimum gap when engaged.  Right now it spins freely but doesn't feel loose.  Also, considering a typical wire down fitment vs VSD3 over the ear, there will be less "spinning" with wire down.  Without a doubt, removable cable has its advantages and disadvantages, just check UE900, Westone, and Shure forums plagued with issues related to a standard mmcx connector.  But you still have an advantage of replacement if it fails, and ability to use a high quality cable or the cable with smartphone controls.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2,432 of 3,012
They're much easier to swap than the Vsonic cables. I didn't like the Vsonic implementation. There was one where I needed a pliers to get it off :eek:

And typically IEM manufacturers recommend not swapping cables unless you need to replace them to avoid the connections getting loose on the earpieces. So I'd assume the same holds true for Dunu's cables. Find one you like and stick with it, and you should be fine :)

And at this price point I'm not sure they really needed to use detachable cables. I'd be more than happy with a solid fixed cable!

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #2,433 of 3,012
  I was curious on your thoughts on the detachable cables of both the t3 and t5?

I'm all for the idea of easily swapping the cable once something cuts out any such but in the past many "earphones" with detachable cables seem to bring a lot of issues to the table as well 
like mmcx connectors on my vsd3s (its fine now, but it spins freely and I can see dust possibly seeping in between the gaps (which is bound to happen when the cable is not fixed) 
and if you keep detaching them (like I did when I got the lunarshop cable, just to try em out) I noticed the connectors get more and more loose.

SOOO anyways long story short (does the t3s and t5's detachable connection feel sturdy? does it spin freely with little to no effort)?

I wasn't a big fan when I heard they were going to detachable mmcx - simply because I am weary of cut-out issues after having a lot of them with the Fidue A83. However, these seem to be mmcx done right.  Note that the shaft is slightly longer than standard mmcx, and the locking collar must be a bit different as well - because neither the standard Shure mmcx cable or the replaceable Trinity cable off the new Atlas will fit the Dunus.

The cables and connectors on the T3 and T5 seem to be quite robust though.  They rotate - but not easily - I have to push them around.  This is actually a good sign (tighter & better connection). The boon for me is being able to swap ear pieces and finally wear them comfortably cable up.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #2,434 of 3,012

Expect to have a similar experience like with VSonic VSD3/3S.  The only difference is that a part of the connector hosted inside of the Titan shell is slightly different in comparison to VSD3 where the middle pin was more recessed.  Because of this improved connector part used in Titans, both stock and Lunashops/Penon cables leave a minimum gap when engaged.  Right now it spins freely but doesn't feel loose.  Also, considering a typical wire down fitment vs VSD3 over the ear, there will be less "spinning" with wire down.  Without a doubt, removable cable has its advantages and disadvantages, just check UE900, Westone, and Shure forums plagued with issues related to a standard mmcx connector.  But you still have an advantage of replacement if it fails, and ability to use a high quality cable or the cable with smartphone controls.

They're much easier to swap than the Vsonic cables. I didn't like the Vsonic implementation. There was one where I needed a pliers to get it off
eek.gif

And typically IEM manufacturers recommend not swapping cables unless you need to replace them to avoid the connections getting loose on the earpieces. So I'd assume the same holds true for Dunu's cables. Find one you like and stick with it, and you should be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

And at this price point I'm not sure they really needed to use detachable cables. I'd be more than happy with a solid fixed cable!

I wasn't a big fan when I heard they were going to detachable mmcx - simply because I am weary of cut-out issues after having a lot of them with the Fidue A83. However, these seem to be mmcx done right.  Note that the shaft is slightly longer than standard mmcx, and the locking collar must be a bit different as well - because neither the standard Shure mmcx cable or the replaceable Trinity cable off the new Atlas will fit the Dunus.

The cables and connectors on the T3 and T5 seem to be quite robust though.  They rotate - but not easily - I have to push them around.  This is actually a good sign (tighter & better connection). The boon for me is being able to swap ear pieces and finally wear them comfortably cable up.

great to have your thoughts guys!

@nmatheis i find its more so the loose connection (i have been following those shure/westone/ue900 threads) and it does seem like the connection was shaky to begin with soo thats my only qualm with detachable cables 

sometimes they are nice and tight (like the im70 from audio technica) so i have no complaints

and then theres the vsonic vsd3s (which is a bit loose) but no where near as bad as my recently acquired onkyo es 300 (which uses the mmcx cable) and its so bad that it wiggles with the slightest tough, i can see the gap with the naked eye =( ---> i'm getting sound from them but yesterday night (its only been a few days since i got them) the connection was so bad it was cutting in and out =(

sooo i remain skeptical of detachable cables still but i'll have to see if the t3 and the t5 can change that =)

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,435 of 3,012
Recently got the Titan 1 and snapped a beauty pic of them.

They are quite nice sounding, though I feel spoiled by the GR07 so I need to give them some more time to impress me.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,436 of 3,012
I just switched from a sonic gr07 bass editions to a pair of Dunu Titan 1's and my first impression is a little underwhelming for the Titan's.

Now I have not burned them in and my source is an iPhone 6S with Spotify files stored on the phone. Not ideal, I know, but It fits my lifestyle at the moment.

The bass just isn't even close to the gr07's and everything sounds like it's being played through a paper towel tube. The music just sounds more distant with the Titans. With a he gr07's I listen at about half volume on the phone but with the Titans I need to turn up the volume almost all the way to get the same volume.

Don't ge me wrong It's not all bad, the Titans definitely have higher highs and the sound stage is better as many have said.

After reading a lot about these iem's here I was really looking forward to hearing how they sound and I am hoping I can improve the sound they produce with a better source. My question is, do I need amplification or a DAC for these to sound their best? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,437 of 3,012
marc00: Not everyone will like the T1. I found their open, airy sound quite refreshing. Others have called it diffuse and weren't as find of it. I don't think any Amp, DAC, or DAP will change this fundamental characteristic. Get you more bass? Sure! Make them sound more conventional / focused? Nope...

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #2,438 of 3,012
I just switched from a sonic gr07 bass editions to a pair of Dunu Titan 1's and my first impression is a little underwhelming for the Titan's.

Now I have not burned them in and my source is an iPhone 6S with Spotify files stored on the phone. Not ideal, I know, but It fits my lifestyle at the moment.

The bass just isn't even close to the gr07's and everything sounds like it's being played through a paper towel tube. The music just sounds more distant with the Titans. With a he gr07's I listen at about half volume on the phone but with the Titans I need to turn up the volume almost all the way to get the same volume.

Don't ge me wrong It's not all bad, the Titans definitely have higher highs and the sound stage is better as many have said.

After reading a lot about these iem's here I was really looking forward to hearing how they sound and I am hoping I can improve the sound they produce with a better source. My question is, do I need amplification or a DAC for these to sound their best? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

marc00, have you tried the Comply T200 tips on the Titan 1? Like you, I've found the Titan 1 underwhelming and a little peaky on the lower treble until I found the best tips for it, the Comply T200. This is my own personal findings so YMMV. Anyway, there's no harm trying. What a difference a pair of tips make 
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,439 of 3,012

i have both and I can see what you mean when you say that...

in regards to the volume thing, the titan 1s are less sensitive > gr07 (I have the BE edition) so your not wrong to say that the titan 1s require more power.

also the titan 1s is not really for sibilant sensitive. its lively listen where as I found the gr07 to have a bit more emphasis in the mid to upper treble > titan 1s

also in regards to the sound, have you tried all the different eartips with the titan 1s? I found the stock greens to be my favorite (out of the ones provided).  the complys also sound amazing with em (I used the comply t400s)

but its an extra expense, that I know some people don't want to bother with... I can understand that... complys expensive!

in the end if none of the stocks work out for you and none of the eartips you already have in your possession work? then the titan 1s aren't for you sadly.... which means... onto the next one! maybe the t3 or the t5 would better suit your needs (better isolation afterall) maybe @nmatheis can help you shed some light on the situation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back