DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jul 15, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #766 of 2,123

Yeah, I'm using them.  Turns out, I just had to find the right tips.  Also turns out, none of the bazillion included tips are what I was looking for.  JVC Spiral Dots did the trick.  Silver spacer and the bass ring and I'm golden.  I absolutely love these things.

Lately using the same combo here
beerchug.gif
, driver flex kills me, but gets it to the 'just right' bass level.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #768 of 2,123
Just bought these, very impressed. Did people have to raise the volume to get the same level of decibels as the DUNU DN-2000. These are not as sensitive as I thought because I have to raise volume levels considerably higher.

Nevertheless, the midrange is great. Treble is crisp, bass is mesmerising. Outstanding.

Recommend any tips and/or tip-combos.?

Thanks

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #770 of 2,123
Received my set yesterday. Definitely one of the best bass tunings I've heard since I've been on head-fi. I'd put its bass up there with the Sony EX1000 and Talucent 1+2 but more neutral in quantity, at least from memory. But the treble, just why? Off to buy blu tack over lunch. Hopefully that turns this love/hate relationship to nothing but love.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #771 of 2,123
Received my set yesterday. Definitely one of the best bass tunings I've heard since I've been on head-fi. I'd put its bass up there with the Sony EX1000 and Talucent 1+2 but more neutral in quantity, at least from memory. But the treble, just why? Off to buy blu tack over lunch. Hopefully that turns this love/hate relationship to nothing but love.

Still have the ex1000- definitely similar tuning, I think. If by more neutral quantity w/ 2000J you mean the ex1000 downplays it a little bit,  sounds about right. Have you heard the 7550/880st? I have been curious about those, if bass is closer to 2000J, might be a good pair for me.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #772 of 2,123
Blue tack mode didn't work for me. Comply tips do the trick to soften the treble.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #773 of 2,123
  Just bought these, very impressed. Did people have to raise the volume to get the same level of decibels as the DUNU DN-2000. These are not as sensitive as I thought because I have to raise volume levels considerably higher.

Nevertheless, the midrange is great. Treble is crisp, bass is mesmerising. Outstanding.

Thanks

The volume level for me is the same as the DN1000...not sure about the 2000.  I had to turn both up a bit more than the A83s I had previously.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #774 of 2,123
Off to buy blu tack over lunch. Hopefully that turns this love/hate relationship to nothing but love.

It sure did for me, and the 2000J pass all my tests in that regard now.

3. Natalia Sikora - Euforia (play a 60sec loop starting at 03:30)

(Edit: got notified that this video doesn't work in all countries - please try the soundcloud link instead)

Yup, it's Polish. And nope, I don't understand a single word either. But damn that lady can sing, and that's not even all. Let's focus on 3:50+ where she launches into a spine-chilling scream that somehow morphs into a guitar solo... well at least on the K3003, it definitely sounds like a guitar solo. On the 2000J, I'm not quite sure whether it's supposed to be a guitar solo with accompanying percussion, or a percussion solo with accompanying guitar :wink: Yes, I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture... in other words, cymbals on the 2000J sound a tad too splashy to these ears, with stuff like this. Not a biggie, but I think the K3003 have ever so slightly better balance throughout the upper mids and highs.

5. Brahms - Symphonie N° 2 (loop from 45:15 till the end)

So, let's get to the bottom of the 2000J's upper range and move on to one of my most unforgiving test tracks. Don't get me wrong, I dearly love this piece. But the finale can be plain torture with overly bright / harsh / splashy IEMs, when strings and brass decide to team up and bring out the knifes to attack your eardrum...

What can I say, I've heard worse, much worse. But there's no denying that the 2000J are tethering on the brink of what I personally can bear without flinching. In fact, it was this track that convinced me that the clear silicone tips benefit from additional damping. However, like with the K3003 and bass (see track 2), it ultimately depends on listening volume, so those who listen too loudly with the K3003 will probably complain about bad bass definition, and those who listen too loudly with the 2000J will probably complain about treble spikes. Pick your poison... or stay within a reasonable volume range.

^ This. Just might add that sibilants are actually meant to sound, ermm, sibilant. When we talk about sibilance in headphones, we mean an excess of that sound, caused by excessive energy in that frequency range.

Here are two examples of borderline sibilant recordings that I use for testing:

"Ssso many Ssstars..."

"The sssea frozzze off the coassst of Franccce..."

However, considering that I'm usually less sensitive to brightness and treble spikes, I can only hope it will work for you too.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #776 of 2,123

Thanks

I got these 3 weeks ago and its been a bit of a battle to get my attention vs A83. Fidue is winning at the moment.
I find that I don't really like the idea of have so many options regarding bass rings, different coloured spacers in addition to trying to get the most suitable tips (of which I don't mind)but I would seem that it helps others to get a preferred sound. I just want be able to put the things in my ears, tip depending of course.
I have the Dunus paired with a Plenue P1, my aK100ii and the X5 not getting much love since it arrived and it does help to reduce the splashy upper treble and the thin note sound. The resolution is really quite good, and the way it handles tracks with a lot of sounds and instruments is impressive! I find the sound quite neutral and analytical (trying too hard I think, sometimes) wide sound stage, bass is good and honest, and I think all will improve with more use hopefully so's I don't have to put Blue tack on, lol! The clear large tips combined with the little "wings" on the tabs is is working for me so onward.
I still prefer the sound and presentation of the A83 because it is fuller in the notes and musical, and just sounds really nice!

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #780 of 2,123
Thanks! Interesting. The e-Q8 are not dark at all and can be very bright with some sources.

I've heard standard DN-2000. The highs were just fine.

The eq8 obtains its clarity and forwardness from its flat to slightly boosted upper mid at 2k-4k. It's treble is actually shelved down and lacks sparkle with less than 1 ohm output impedance sources. It's treble does get brighter with higher impedance sources but then it won't have the great linear bass is can have.

In contrast the dn2000j has slightly laid back upper mids, at least compared to its treble, which is quite boosted. The dunu is very bright, very clear and very articulate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back