Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,967 of 2,536
Moto X 2014

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x_2014-review-1136p7.php

gsmarena_a001.png

It's prety clean sounding but the frequency response and stereo crosstalk with headphones plugged in are messed up.

Since it seems you know much more about this than me, is the graph a literal presentation on what's coming through my headphones. Am I literally getting that much drop off in bass frequencies. And what is the stereo cross talk?

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #1,968 of 2,536
Hi guys so today I received back my DNKs which were sent for warranty to have the earphones replaced due to cabling issues.

Inside the box:

As far as I can tell, the cable material feels the same but it won't experience the cable hardening issue. Let's hope it doesn't :wink:

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #1,969 of 2,536
Thanks for going through the trouble to do that, but it seems that this is the old version of the moto x which is a much much less premium device than the new moto x. The only thing I could find was a review where a self proclaimed audiophile said the moto x 2014 had great output strength and sound quality. So I'm afraid though that this doesn't apply to my phone. The 2013 moto x wasn't really a "titan" in the smartphone world with its specs but the new one has all the same specs and build quality to compete with the best phones on the market. So the mystery question is, is audio better in the 2014 version. Man this is such a pain....

Just FYI I used my DNK with my 1st gen Moto X and the sound was pretty comparable to my clip zip. I also ran a sine sweep on the X and it didnt sound like the graph at all.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,970 of 2,536
Just FYI I used my DNK with my 1st gen Moto X and the sound was pretty comparable to my clip zip. I also ran a sine sweep on the X and it didnt sound like the graph at all.

Thanks for that!!!! The graph on the new moto x looks better actually so I should be safe there. Now just to find the impedance of the phone. I called Motorola tech support today to ask what that impedance spec was and the guy had no idea what I was talking about so I had to go through this whole explanation about impedance comparability with headphones. So the guy eventually transfered me to the higher ups but I got disconnected, and didn't feel like calling back since the t took so long on hold the first time. I'll try again tomorrow. Manufacturers should list stuff like this online...like they should list any spec that any consumer would ever want to know. Cuz this is a pain in the rear.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #1,971 of 2,536
hoping someone can help me out here...

on my DN-1000's the silver/metal grill that sits slightly within the nozzle has fallen out on my left side earphone....

does anyone know where i can get a replacement or what else i could try?

is there a 'spare parts' department at Dunu? whom do i contact for support?

thanks in advance...

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,972 of 2,536

on my DN-1000's the silver/metal grill that sits slightly within the nozzle has fallen out on my left side earphone....

thanks in advance...

You can try emailing Dunu to see your options. As lame it may sound for something so minor they may need to be returned for repair. Unless, Dunu are nice and send you the grill / meshing. You will have fun glueing it in though as it's a delicate operation, if you get any glue on the meshing / tiny surface holes it will partially block the sound, and this means channel imbalance / vocals pulling to one side (not centre)

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,973 of 2,536

thanks in advance...

While you have the grill out could you tell me if that helps reduce sibilance? Asking bc I've noticed the grill sometimes increases it.

Also, if Dunu can't help with repairs one option I can think of is the Tx/Tsx Comply tips that come with earwax guards. There's probably other options out there too.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,974 of 2,536
Thanks for the ideas regarding embedded wax guards...I'm assuming that the grill on the DN-1000 are designed to serve that purpose only?  They look quite substantial as if there is some type of mechanical reason...but perhaps not.

Regarding sibilance, what I noticed was rather a lack of mids to lows, so it seemed like that was the missing part of the spectrum rather than the upper treble/sibilance area....everyone's perception is different of course but that's what i found....

let me know if you see any tips that might fit the bill for me with integrated mesh/wax guards....i don't really like comply tips in general and prefer silicone to them..know any brands for silicone i could try?

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,975 of 2,536
  Thanks for the ideas regarding embedded wax guards...I'm assuming that the grill on the DN-1000 are designed to serve that purpose only?  They look quite substantial as if there is some type of mechanical reason...but perhaps not.

Regarding sibilance, what I noticed was rather a lack of mids to lows, so it seemed like that was the missing part of the spectrum rather than the upper treble/sibilance area....everyone's perception is different of course but that's what i found....

let me know if you see any tips that might fit the bill for me with integrated mesh/wax guards....i don't really like comply tips in general and prefer silicone to them..know any brands for silicone i could try?

And TX series is an very costly affair......how bout these?

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/ostry-os100-os200-os300-earphone-turning-tips.html

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,976 of 2,536
So Ive had the DUNU 1k for quite some time and love them for the most part. However, the bass speed cannot keep up with double-bass rock/metal as well as I would like and the mids aren't always as present or as thick layered as I would like.
I also have the RHA 750i which are a great IEM but still a $100 (mid-range?) IEM.

Any recommendations on an upgrade for a similar moderate V-sound signature as DUNU 1k but better bass speed/control and hopefully a little more in the mids dept.?
Preferably $300 or less with no amping needed. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,977 of 2,536
Had a chance to borrow the DN1000 for a week or so. Very impressed by its clarity. Bass boost was tastefully done and thankfully vocals weren't too recessed. Other than being just a hair bright, I really enjoyed the tuning. The clarity really is fantastic.

The Titan 1 happens to the flavor of late but I find the DN1000 to beat it in every aspect, although it's roughly double the price, if I'm not mistaken. The DN1000's technical performance has me interested to see what level Dunu can take the upcoming 2000-J.

As an aside, I also has the opportunity to hear the T-Peos Altone 200. The differences could be starker. In my estimation, the Altone is not very good. I found the bass boomy and muddy with disjointed and piercing highs. The difference between it and the DN1000 was night and day for me. It's clear Dunu knows what's it's doing with very mature tuning and coherence on a relatively lower cost hybrid.

I'm greatly looking forward to future Dunu offerings.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,979 of 2,536
What tips and spacers were you using? A number of people have found the Dunu bassier than the Altone.

Innerfidelity measurements show relatively similar amounts of boost but the Dunu's boost peak is placed in very deep bass, whereas the Altone starts to peak much sooner.

I prefered TS series comply tips as foam didn't seal quite as completely as silicone, therefor a little less bass overall. I also tended to use the comply without spacers for a shallower fit. The only complaint in fit I have is the Dunu is fairly heavy and can be physically tiring over long periods due to the weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back