DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
May 13, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,431 of 2,501
I’m sure the DaVinci will be great anyway. Dunu qc and accessories are always top notch.

The Mirai is still my favourite iem I’ve owned or heard.

May 14, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #2,432 of 2,501
Upper mids being harsh or shouty is subjective and dependent on how sensitive the listener is.

It measures almost identical to the variations in the upper mids and to me the variations were a bit shouty. So, it’s not surprising that some people will find this in the case with the glacier.
I totally agree with you on the first point! It really depends on each person's sensitivity, anatomy, and maybe even their preferences. It isn't surprising that I also don't find the Variations shouty. So, my advice for anyone would be to try to listen to IEMs first "if" you can!

May 14, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,436 of 2,501
The DUNU X GIZAUDIO Da Vinci is a 2DD + 4BA hybrid that was showcased at the recent Singapore Can Jam.

Da Vinci.jpg

This is a balanced U-shaped set, tonally quite all-rounded, with more mid-bass/lower mids - and hence note weight - than the previous Chopin collab. Textured and fast bass, with clean midrange and nice treble extension.

It has decent timbre, with a good display of technicalities.

I would consider this as a solid midFI hybrid, certainly quite competitive. It was retuned for the Can Jam Singapore show, this V3 (it is also the final version) showcases more mid-bass than the previous iteration from gathered feedback.

Graph.jpg

Indeed, I actually preferred the Da Vinci by far to the AFUL Cantor - actually, many participants found the Cantor overly bright in the treble (BTW the show participants have also given feedback to the HIFIGO reps, and they say this will likely involve retuning the Cantor).
Appreciate your insights here! If you're still able to recall the impressions you had, could you describe how the DaVinci compares to the DosCincos and the Hype 4?

May 14, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,437 of 2,501
1000002304.jpg

Loving the box artwork

May 14, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #2,438 of 2,501
Appreciate your insights here! If you're still able to recall the impressions you had, could you describe how the DaVinci compares to the DosCincos and the Hype 4?

This is based on aural memory, so take it with a pinch of salt.

I think the Hype 4 was bassier with a thicker note weight, the sub-bass on the Hype 4 sounded quite subwoofer like. Similar technicalities thereabouts, perhaps Da Vinci could be a tinge more balanced.

Doscinco is definitely a bassier and darker IEM, and I think the Da Vinci beats it in technical chops.

May 15, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #2,442 of 2,501
I’m surprised the DaVinci was released today but there’s no YouTube reviews to be found. Seems a little odd that units weren’t sent to some reviewers early to get the hype train going.

May 15, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #2,443 of 2,501
Just ordered mine, decided to get these over the pilgrim.

I know the damping factor is important for controlling the movement of drivers.

Low impedance and high sensitivity IEMs will interact with the impedance curve leading to changes in the frequency response and altering the sound signature of the IEMs. In this case the Pilgrim will be hard to drive even if it has low impedance.

High impedance and high sensitivity IEMs will be easier to drive and will not change the frequency response or alter the sound signature of the IEMs. In this case the DaVinci IEMs will perform well.
A DAC / AMPmp with 1 Vrms and a low output impedance less than 1 ohm will result in a higher damping factor resulting in a clean and easy to drive sound. The IEMs will deliver their intended audio performance without distortion or frequency anomalies.

What this means is that very low impedance IEMs like most Elysian Acoustic models can result in frequency response anomalies and alter the frequency curve depending on the source they are plugged into.
They may even be sensitive to cables. In my opinion it's best to avoid such low impedance IEMs.

In contrast Dunu is a superior and smarter company, chooses higher impedance for their IEMs to retain the frequency response and sound characteristics regardless of the source and ensure clean and distortion free sound.
However pairing them with a lower output impedance will still result in a higher damping factor, means better.

In my view you made the right choice in selecting the DaVinci over the Pilgrim.

May 15, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,444 of 2,501
I know the damping factor is important for controlling the movement of drivers.

Low impedance and high sensitivity IEMs will interact with the impedance curve leading to changes in the frequency response and altering the sound signature of the IEMs. In this case the Pilgrim will be hard to drive even if it has low impedance.

High impedance and high sensitivity IEMs will be easier to drive and will not change the frequency response or alter the sound signature of the IEMs. In this case the DaVinci IEMs will perform well.
A DAC / AMPmp with 1 Vrms and a low output impedance less than 1 ohm will result in a higher damping factor resulting in a clean and easy to drive sound. The IEMs will deliver their intended audio performance without distortion or frequency anomalies.

What this means is that very low impedance IEMs like most Elysian Acoustic models can result in frequency response anomalies and alter the frequency curve depending on the source they are plugged into.
They may even be sensitive to cables. In my opinion it's best to avoid such low impedance IEMs.

In contrast Dunu is a superior and smarter company, chooses higher impedance for their IEMs to retain the frequency response and sound characteristics regardless of the source and ensure clean and distortion free sound.
However pairing them with a lower output impedance will still result in a higher damping factor, means better.

Somewhat regrettably, I have both Pilgrim and DaVinci coming in. I can share some comparisons if anyone is interested.

May 15, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #2,445 of 2,501

Haha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Auditioned the Pilgrim several times but my ears just don't vibe with it! (Vibe may be a poor term here in Head-fi)

Pilgrim is yes, more resolving for its price range. But I find the rest of its spectrum - just ok. Tried several DAPs, Genres, Amps with it. My ears don't get the Pilgrim - heck, I got the Project M instead of the Pilgrim! But I did pre-order the Noir - due to it's (allegedly) more engaging tuning.

Got the DaVinci due to it's (again, allegedly) similar tuning with the Canpur (forgot with model) - and for it's asking price, it's a no brainer for me to get one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back