Dubstep Headphones
Sep 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Skrawlx

New Head-Fier
Hello, all! I'm looking for great headphones for dubstep. I'm talking super bassy bass. I love the level of bass beats have, but they're way too expensive and over priced. On-ear prefered. Thank you for any help! I was looking at the sol republic tracks. Are they good for dubstep? My friend has v-modas M-80, but I've never listened to them. Thoughts?

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:
Hello, all! I'm looking for great headphones for dubstep. I'm talking super bassy bass. I love the level of bass beats have, but they're way too expensive and over priced. On-ear prefered. Thank you for any help! I was looking at the sol republic tracks. Are they good for dubstep? My friend has v-modas M-80, but I've never listened to them. Thoughts?

I'd listen to his M-80s and consider getting a pair. 

I think that dubstep sounds wonderful through my Jaycar Pro Monitor headphones (Brainwavs HM5/Fischer Audio FA-003), but they probably won't be bassy enough for your liking.

If you really want ridiculous bass, I'd look at the Sony XB500s. I've given the Beats a listen, and this has more bass than they do.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 23
-Sony XB700 (BASS)
-Ultrasone Hi-Fi 780 and 580 (BASS, somewhat sibilant highs. Not an Ultrasone fan myself)
-Audio Technica MTH M50 (neutral, with moderate bass emphasis)
-Vmoda M80 (stylish and sound good)
-AKG K181DJ (haven't heard them myself, but are supposed to be very good)
-Denon AH-D2000 (Good bass with decent sub bass, but sub bass is a little flabby unless you do the markl mod on them)

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
-Denon AH-D2000 (Good bass with decent sub bass, but sub bass is a little flabby unless you do the markl mod on them)

The Perfect amp pairing helps a ton in that department though, from there you can still mod if you really need to, I could go either way honestly, it's that good. The Denons can really slam dance music, and not just wubs.

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 23
XB500/700 for a lower-end, unamped/undaced pair. Shure 750 DJ on the mid-range unamped/undaced. Beyerdynamic DT990 and Denon D2000 on the high-end with amps/dacs.

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 23
I'd honestly take the XB700 over any of those except the D2000...

Quote:
XB500/700 for a lower-end, unamped/undaced pair. Shure 750 DJ on the mid-range unamped/undaced. Beyerdynamic DT990 and Denon D2000 on the high-end with amps/dacs.

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
The Perfect amp pairing helps a ton in that department though, from there you can still mod if you really need to, I could go either way honestly, it's that good. The Denons can really slam dance music, and not just wubs.

Still haven't found that perfect amp. Hows the Asgard go with your D5ks? I've been looking at the Matrix M-Stage but the Schiit range just looks so sexy.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 23
My favorite was honestly the Yulong D100 when I had my D7000. They respond very well to SS amping I'll say that much at least.

Quote:
Still haven't found that perfect amp. Hows the Asgard go with your D5ks? I've been looking at the Matrix M-Stage but the Schiit range just looks so sexy.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

I'm not sure how much better it gets than this, I love this amp. Also I thought the impedance output on the matrix was too high for something like the denons.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:
I'm not sure how much better it gets than this, I love this amp. Also I thought the impedance output on the matrix was too high for something like the denons.

The posts I've read on the Denons + M-stage don't mention any problems. However, since I can pick up a Asgard for £180 or the M-stage for £165, it'd be good to get a amp that plays well with all my headphones, preferably with a near black background for IEMs.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 23
Well the OP asked for on the ear. The Aiaiai TMA-1 DJ might be for you if electronic music is mostly what you listen to. Saw them on Amazon for $167. Although that's still more than the SOL but less than the Beats. You can listen to them at Best Buy.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 23
Well the OP asked for on the ear. The Aiaiai TMA-1 DJ might be for you if electronic music is mostly what you listen to. Saw them on Amazon for $167. Although that's still more than the SOL but less than the Beats. You can listen to them at Best Buy.

While the TMA-1 is a fantastic can it's on ear. :wink:

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 23
TMA-1 is fairly overrated. If it had a beats logo on it, it would be banned from Head-fi. Overly warm sound, rolled off highs, punchy bass but no depth. Find something with better bass depth to truly enjoy dubstep with headphones. 

If you are at all open to IEM....Monster miles davis has the bass, and the highs, and the unbelievable combo of punchy mid bass, and deep sub bass....and they fit in your pocket. Monster refurb had them for $149 for a while, possibly one of the best values in sound Ive seen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back