DubStep: boring and pointless? *poll and discussion*
May 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #16 of 28
well i like owl city. But i really like eat static for electronica. And i also like pendulum and the prodigy, because it gets you moving.

May 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 28
Owl City?!? Lol, we're talking dubstep, lets stick to the topic at hand plz.  My Infected mushroom reference was just pointing out Antony's lack of understanding of musical genres, not meant to be a focal reference in a dubstep thread. 

Back on topic, I don't understand the OP's logic behind the "can't dance to dubstep" argument.  I used to think that dancing to any electronic music was difficult, but then again I liked mainstream rap back then . . . . haha good ol high school.  Dubstep is really fun to get down to, I enjoy it a lot anyways.  Some of my favorite live shows have been dubstep acts such as Bassnectar, Mimosa and even the polarizing Rusko.  If you can't dance to it, I just don't think you're trying hard enough.

Here's a Rusko song I do like though, and yes, you can dance to it:

May 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
I find both to be rubbish.

Those were examples of electronic music that isn't repetitive. I didn't say you had to like them. 
tongue.gif

Anyways. Back to dubstep discussion... 

May 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
That's because it follows a really basic 4/4 rythm. Dancing to that kind of dubstep is no more difficult then dancing to Beyonce.

Never said it wasn't easy to dance to, OP said you can't dance to dubstep, that was my case of a dub song that is pretty simple to groove to.  4/4, 6/8, 3/3 . . . who cares?  Look at the thread title and subsequent first post and respond accordingly.

May 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #21 of 28
I concur with you stating that it is easy to dance to, and motivate this by saying it has a 4/4 time signature which is propably the most common signature around (at least in pop music). I don't know why it isn't ontopic.

May 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #22 of 28
I'm surrounded by people who love Dubstep, but I can't stand it. Completely boring.

If we're talking Electronic, this is the kind of stuff I love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyIcz7vLTw

May 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
I concur with you stating that it is easy to dance to, and motivate this by saying it has a 4/4 time signature which is propably the most common signature around (at least in pop music). I don't know why it isn't ontopic.

I see, I guess I took it the wrong way as you mentioned beyonce and i have a hatred for top 40.  Thought you were trying to argue for the sake of arguing. 

May 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #25 of 28
I'm not really much of a fan of dubstep with the exception of a few tracks by Bassnectar, James Blake, Burial, and Eskimo. This new push into higher pitched WOB just gives me a headache and it makes me feel like they're just trying to take some good DnB and LFO it to death.

May 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
Nah, it's just a major case of LOL. While Infected Mushroom change their sound style over the years, I would never state their mainly psytrance sound to be anything related to techno.

Ha, I guess I don't really know what techno is. I guess I just group more upbeat sounding electronica as techno (infected mushroom is the only more upbeat sound I listen), but I have heard them referred to as psytrance as well. I mainly like their earlier stuff, the later stuff with the vocals is cheesy imo.

I can see dubstep being ok for dancing I guess (I'm not a huge dancer). But like the op I just find it boring and repetitive I guess. I have never deeply investigated it deeply though, just heard a few tracks my friends like. But the repetitiveness and bass emphasis don't appeal to me.

Not all electronic music is repetitive, some has a fair amount of improvisation. At least, it's not the better stuff isn't as repetitive as what of what I've heard in dubstep.

May 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #27 of 28
Just a quick thanks to those that posted the links on this thread, made some good listening last night.

May 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
Ha, I guess I don't really know what techno is. I guess I just group more upbeat sounding electronica as techno (infected mushroom is the only more upbeat sound I listen), but I have heard them referred to as psytrance as well. I mainly like their earlier stuff, the later stuff with the vocals is cheesy imo.

I can see dubstep being ok for dancing I guess (I'm not a huge dancer). But like the op I just find it boring and repetitive I guess. I have never deeply investigated it deeply though, just heard a few tracks my friends like. But the repetitiveness and bass emphasis don't appeal to me.

Not all electronic music is repetitive, some has a fair amount of improvisation. At least, it's not the better stuff isn't as repetitive as what of what I've heard in dubstep.

Wether music is repetitive or not has got nothing to do with the quality of music. The disintegration loops by Basinski are propably the most repetitive albums I've ever listened to, and in that respect they're hard to beat. Yet, I find them a lot more interesting then most music out there. Techno is propably the most repetitive genre in the realm of EDM. I'd suggest you check out the three tracks I posted a page ago, there's no bass emphasis whatshowever. I do agree that the bass-emphasized dubstep is boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back