Dual BA IEM to be worn "straight down" with *ZERO* sibilance
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

neeverr

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hi all,[/size]
[size=10pt] I come from 1 year experience with the RE272, two months ago I also bought the dba02-mk2...[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Basically I love some aspects of this dual BA iem:[/size]
[size=10pt]- details[/size]
[size=10pt]- instruments separation[/size]
[size=10pt]- clean mid/bass[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]However there is a show-stopper for me: a few of sibilance and a little bit of harshness.[/size]
[size=10pt]To mee the dba2mk2 has too aggressive highs.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I've also tried to insert some foam in the nozzle: the agressiveness decreases together with the overall sound quality.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]So my question is: which could be my dual BA iem? Comfortable little and to be worn “Straight down”?[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Thank you for the support[/size]

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 9
TDK BA200 fits everything but it's over-the-ear. I know that technically doesn't respond adequately to your requirements, but I think it falls in the category of "deal with it".

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Ortofon e-Q5.

It's not a dual BA, but that shouldn't matter.. the moving armature kind of blends the best (traditional) aspects of a dynamic driver & balanced armature.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Ortofon e-Q5.

It's not a dual BA, but that shouldn't matter.. the moving armature kind of blends the best (traditional) aspects of a dynamic driver & balanced armature.

I have had the e-Q5 for 4 months, nice IEM, no harshness at all. I simply lost them during a trip :/

In my opinion some dual BA (e.g.: dba02mk2) are superior in some aspects like layers separation, control and extension...

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 9
FIRSTLY, I want to let you know that I have barely any experience with iems. Beyond that, I'd still like to share that experience, as it is relevant in this case.

So I am using Sony's XBA-3s right now (Triple BA).
It is detailed. It has a clean mid/bass, though I'd say its a little recessed. But my history of iems have been kinda bassy, so what I call recessed, you may call normal. But they're clean.
I can't really comment on the instrument separation. While listening to beethoven's violin concerto in .flac, it seemed pretty good. However, the instrument separation and soundstage was quite a bit better in the soundmagic e30 and pl30 that I have used previously (both are dynamic). 
I did have sibilance problems initially, but then I realized that it wasn't due to the iems, it was due to lower quality recordings. Apparently high end iems make bad recordings sound worse. And I did notice that. As I upgraded parts of my library to flac, sibilance problems seem to go away. I just played Karajan's recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture to make sure what I'm saying is correct, and the Cymbals seem much more forgiving than on any other pair of IEMs I've heard before. If you have any particular song in mind, just tell me to play it through these and I'll tell you what it's like.
However, the XBA's can only be worn straight-down and that's what I dislike about them. I've only found iem's to be comfortable over the ear. Straight down iems also have microphonics problems. To each his own.

There's also the Sony XBA2 (Dual BA), but from what I hear, the XBA3s are considerably better.

What I'm saying is - Don't take my word for it and buy these, I'm not closely experienced enough to give that good judgement. But do include these in the iems you're considering.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 9
GR01 is really nice-sounding with smooth and much calmer highs. It CAN be worn straight down, but really almost all earphones are better off over-the-ear. But, if you really can't take wearing earphones like that, then go for the GR01. It seems to fit the bill.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
The GR01, Grado GR10, EQ7, B2 are BA IEMs and they sound geat for the price.

B2 is a rebrand of DBA-02, which OP found the highs too overbearing.

Quote:
I wouldn't say any of those including the EQ5 have "ZERO" sibilance.

True, but the GR01 has the least offensive highs out of any Dual BA earphone I've used. They definitely won't expose or accentuate sibilance in at the level that the DBA-02 does, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back