Dual 1219 and general TT questions
Feb 21, 2009 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scompton

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got my Dual repair and refurbished by fixmydual.com and I have a couple of questions.
  • I have a Shure V15 Type II. Does playing seriously scratched records damage the stylus? I know I have to thoroughly clean the crudy records, but some of them are scratched as well.
  • I remember reading that you should have a separate cart for 78s. Recommendations please?
  • The manual I have mentions a special alignment tool to align the cart in the cart carrier. Are these available anywhere? It does seem it would be a PITA to align the cart on this TT as you have to remove it to adjust it unlike the old MCS TT I had.
  • I can't afford a record cleaning machine so I'm going to use home brewed cleaning fluid and micro fiber to clean my records. The posts I've read says to let them dry before playing them. How do you go about letting them dry? I'd hate to only be able to clean one a day.

Thank in advance

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 8
1. Unless your scratches really bounce the stylus from side to side you won't do any structural damage to the cantilever/stylus. You will probably be doing more damage to the record since the stylus will be carving your vinyl unless it's perfectly aligned in the groove. The only effect on the stylus will be more frequent cleaning to get rid of the vinyl that will coat the needle.

2.You will need a cartridge with a conical or spherical stylus to play 78's. Audio-Technica and Shure (M78S) make cartridges with these styli. You don't have to spend a lot of money for one of these due to the limitations in 78's. I wouldn't get a Grado since they frequently exhibit hum with the motor in Dual turntables. You may want to look at buying another headshell to permanently mount your 78 cartridge. Then you could just switch them out. The Shure M78S would probably have a similar overhang to your V15 so that all you would have to adjust is the tracking weight.

3. Here is a link to a free cartridge protractor

Free Stuff

There is a better one here.

Turntable Basics. Turntable Belts, Parts and Accessories.

You should also get a tracking force gauge. I use a Shure SFG2, but there's also one available at the above link. The bubble level is also a good idea.

4. Here is a link for tips on cleaning and drying records.

How to Clean LP Records and CDs

Hope this helps.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 8
I have a protractor and stylus gauge. The problem with the dual is that the the cartridge mouts to an adapter that then is attached to the head shell. If the cartridge is not in alignment, I have to remove it from the head shell adjust it and put it back. Seems to me that a PITA. The manual mentions a alignment tool that aligns the cartridge in the holder before attaching it to the head shell. Once it's aligned in the holder it's aligned. I'd much prefer getting one of these tools.

Thanks for the link on cleaning. I don't know how I missed it in my searches, but it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it makes me think a PITA process might be worth it.

LOL, you think like I do. For two or three times use I personally wouldn't buy it. I'm constantly browsing audio equipment. If I come across one I'll let you know.

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 8
The good thing about the way the Dual head shell and cartridge carrier works is that once the cart is aligned in the carrier, it's aligned for good. The carrier locks into the head shell in the same position every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back