DT990 vs HD650?
Nov 10, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #16 of 28
I say try the HD600 before you decide 
smile.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 28
I think that for the person that used to own the HD555 and enjoyed them the HD650 would be better than the HD600. Just like it was said by few people (me including) the HD600 is very balanced can and so if the OP is looking for sound with bass emphasis the HD600 will not suit him unless he's a former owner of something like K701 or DT880. That's just my opinion though. On the other hand the HD650 might be too laid back. I like the laid back presentation of my HD580 especially for rock and classical but if the HD650 is even more laid back it could cause problems for many people. However, the HD555 are already quite laid back cans and if the OP didnt have problems with it the HD650 should do fine. Although just like I said earlier HD600 seems to be better alrounder and if the huge bass is not necessity I would go for them. I can't comment on how HD650 do rock but my HD580 are just awesome. Bearing in mind I do'nt like painful grado-high and don't think that such extended top is good for rock. Not for me at least.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 28
i have the dt990 600 ohm and the hd650 and as per my ears, i like the dt990 better for rock and metal (i love iron maiden, the old albums!). i like the bass slam and the crash of the cymbals, and the presentation is much more livelier and enjoyable using the dt990 (plus my audio-gd c-2c solid state amp). i prefer the hd650 (plus the little dot mk-2 tube amp) for vocals and acoustic guitar, and when i use it for rock and metal, they seem to lose a bit of edge compared to the beyer...

these are my impressions, just in case you wanted to hear a pro-dt990 input
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #19 of 28
Guys, thanks a lot for all the replies, I'm learning a lot! After reading what you all have had to say, it seems the following four headphones would be potentially good buys for me:

HD650
HD600
DT990
DT150

Of the four, I have rejected the HD650, because it turns outs its more expensive than I thought ($420 on amazon) and hence beyond my fiscal grasp. That leaves the other three to contemplate about.

I do require one clarification though: what is "laid back" sound? I'm guessing its when a headphone sort of diffuses all the different sounds a bit into each other, so that they aren't all too distinct from each other and sort of merge softly together, to create a somewhat mellow result. Am I correct in assuming this? And what sort of sound would be the exact opposite of "laid back"?

Finally, how does the bass of the HD600 compare with that of the HD555?

Thanks again guys!

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #21 of 28
A couple days ago I lend my DT990's to my partner, he is a metal guitar player very used to tubeamps for guitar.
After some time listening he headed to me and said, that he was able to hear the texture of the tube overdrive from the guitars... He played the song again (Pantera) and it was remarcable the way you can dissect, the sound... they are very suitable for rock, maybe some Eq can be used in case you find them too bright, but they are extremely fun headphones.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
One more question guys: does amazon.com offer the best prices for headphones in the US, assuming the purchase is to be made online?

Not necessarily. Sometimes Amazon has the best prices, sometimes it doesn't. You just have to keep an eye open and know what's a good deal. Other retailers (B&H, JRMUSIC, Headphone.com) can also be negotiated with if you give them a call.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Guys, thanks a lot for all the replies, I'm learning a lot! After reading what you all have had to say, it seems the following four headphones would be potentially good buys for me:

HD650
HD600
DT990
DT150

Of the four, I have rejected the HD650, because it turns outs its more expensive than I thought ($420 on amazon) and hence beyond my fiscal grasp. That leaves the other three to contemplate about.

I do require one clarification though: what is "laid back" sound? I'm guessing its when a headphone sort of diffuses all the different sounds a bit into each other, so that they aren't all too distinct from each other and sort of merge softly together, to create a somewhat mellow result. Am I correct in assuming this? And what sort of sound would be the exact opposite of "laid back"?

Finally, how does the bass of the HD600 compare with that of the HD555?

Thanks again guys!

The HD650 can be had for cheaper usually at Headroom (www.headphone.com). Ask them for their best price.

Secondly, I would remove the DT150 from that list instead of the HD650.
To answer your question about the meaning of 'laid back'; it means a smooth/dark sound (ie. not bright, piercing or fatiguing ~ no excessive treble/sibilance).

What you've described is an aspect of the soundstage, specifically, the imaging. Fuzzy/non-distinct imaging is a function of not only the headphones but also the DAC and amp.

Finally, the bass of the HD600 is more extended, linear, accurate/defined and fast than the HD555s' bass. I believe the quantity was similar if I remember correctly.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 28
That's weird, you should be able to get the HD 650s for not much more than $300. . . .btw the HD 650s are not dark, mine aren't anyway. . . 

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 28
Nov 10, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #26 of 28
I would second the HD650/ HD600.  I have the 650s and love them to death, but if you want something a little less "bassy" (thought I don't find the 650s to be near as bassy as people claim), the 600s should be good.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #27 of 28
The HD650 isn't necessarily bassy, it has more of a lower-midrange emphasis that can make it seem on the warm or dark side but not subwoofer bassy. The HD600 is more neutral across the spectrum and goes just as low without emphasizing the lower mids or rolling off the highs.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #28 of 28
I was in the same boat as you. i was lurking these boards for months. I have had the Sennhieser 585's back in the day. When they broke a got some garbage plantronics and those kept me gaming for a few years (i wasn't thinking i know). I started my odyssey with Audio technica A900's. These guys were ok and were a huge step up from the garbage gaming headsets. That said they felt hollow to me, music was nice but felt lifeless. So started my hunt for the next best pair of cans. I was looking at the DT 990's. Senn 650, 600, K701's. I went to B & H photo in the city a few days back. They had the DT990 pro's, Senn650, senn 800, grados 1000, ATH-M50's and a few others. i spent 4hrs in there auditioning headphones. I will say straight up that the amps they were using are worse then going direct through a pc soundcard. That said the DT990 pro's sounded a little too airy for my liking. I wasn't immersed at all in the music.The 650's seemed to have a nicer soundstage and i could pick up more detail with them. the HD800's were like eargasmic but way out of my price range. I really didn't like the feel of the grado's at all. They feel cheap and didn't sound all that great, most likely the amp is killing the sound signatures of all the HF's. As we all know music is subjective and everyone is looking for something different. I will say that when i read what your looking for it was an exact copy of my request. Well today the fedex man dropped off my 650's ($325 shipped brand new off ebay) prosaudiostar is the company. they were selling them for $500 with an offer ability. These cans are not broken in by any means, they are running through my PC's X-fi fatality pro sound card and sound FRICKING AWESOME. I enjoy Drum and bass along with good dubstep. so far these are feeling very immersive and clear. Playing rock through them i felt they sounded nice with the ability to sound great with an amp. Keep in mind that when you amp these babies the sound can change. Frankly, not every headphone will sound good on the same amp. If you read-up you will find that some phones tend to synergize better with different amps/dacs. Best thing to do is go to a meet and hear it for yourself. Finding the right combo is a bitch, but, totally worth it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back