DT990 sound better than DT990pro?
May 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

milkweg

Banned
That's what some people I have seen claim here. I guess the person who did the below review has cloth ears then? Or could it be some people here are mistaken?

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Headphones Review - Over-Ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

"The DT 990 PROs have slightly better audio qualty."

p.s. he even claims they sound better than the venerable ATH-W5000. I'm very suspicious of all the poo I see being thrown at the 990pro now, not that I wasn't suspicious before but now I am certain it is lies.

"The DT 990s easily take the ATH-W5000s cake here, then eat it as the ATH-W5000s are left wondering where it all went wrong (warning: actual headphones can't eat or claim ownership of cake). The DT 990s have a small dip towards the high end, but the ATH-W5000s' response graph looks like it falls down a hill."

May 14, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 21
I wouldn't take that review very seriously. Many people find the beyers to be comfortable. He doesn't. Many people know there's no such thing as a 65 ohm version. He doesn't. I think all he really does is look at graphs and try to interpret them.

May 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 21
Well...I need someone to lend me DT990 600ohm, DT990 250ohm and DT880 250ohm so I can separate the wheat from the chaff on this forum. Until then the jury is out.

He must have listened to them too if he found them uncomfortable. He was talking about the headband and not the cups being uncomfortable. Headband is different on DT990pro compared to DT990. Personally, I find the DT990pro quite comfortable, far better than the ATH-M50 I also have and more comfortable than HD595 I used to have, although, I found HD595 comfortable too.

May 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 21
Well I have 990pro and they are sibilant to my ears. If you have a bright source they'll become unlistenable. People say consumer 990 is even more bright. Crazy!

May 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what some people I have seen claim here.

Actually quite a few people on this forum think 990pro are better.

May 14, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 21
I have the pros and i definitely feel that the 600 ohms are better. The headband is indeed different but the difference that i've found is that the pads on the pros are softer for me. Not sure why. That however does not mean that the regular dt990 isn't comfortable.

May 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 21
A guy who works at BeyerDynamic said pro and consumer are basically the same. I believe him.

Oh and look at this. pro a bit more bassy? Perhaps.

DT990 2005

DT990pro

May 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 21
from beyer tech support :

Quote:

Difference DT 770 PRO - DT 770

The DT 770 PRO is designed for use in studio and on stage for professional use.
The headband has a rugged construction and gives a secure fit for the listener. The retaining bracket for the ear cups is more angled than the Hifi-version. This provides a better fit and causes also a more powerfull compressed sound which is necessary for professional applications in studio and FOH.

The DT 770 is designed for listening music and relax. The headband provides a long wearing comfort for hours. The Hifi-version has a more transparent and open sound than the DT 770 PRO.

The difference of both headphones are not huge in mechanical design, but only that small change causes a big difference in sound and application.

DT 990 PRO - DT 990 = very similar difference.

and yes, the 600Ω kick butt! very fast/transparent, the higher the impedance the lighter the driver/the faster the coil moves.

May 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People say consumer 990 is even more bright. Crazy!

They do? Since when? They usually say DT990 consumer sound better than DT990pro but this guys review says otherwise. Anyway, use EQ on your DT990 to tone down the top end a bit and they should no longer sound sibilant to you. I use Electri-Q in foobar for that purpose. It's a VST plugin so you need to get George Yohng's VST wrapper for foobar too. I use a tube amp with my DT990pro so they probably don't sound as sibilant on the top end to me.

May 15, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from beyer tech support :

and yes, the 600Ω kick butt! very fast/transparent, the higher the impedance the lighter the driver/the faster the coil moves.

Huh? The driver is the same so what do you mean lighter driver? Low impedance has less resistance to electrical current is all the difference is compared to high impedance so if anything the low impedance headphones would be more snappy because they are drawing more current from the amp. From what I have read higher impedance in speakers usually makes them sound a bit smoother, which has nothing to do with speed.

May 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 21
I've swapped my 250Ω drivers to 600Ω, and I can definitely confirm that the 600Ω drivers are lighter!

from Peter Grooff(beyer headphones PM) :

Quote:

I expect the 32 ohms version to sound less transparent as the 600 ohms version. Headphone systems with lower impedances usually have a slightly heavier diaphragm + coil causing it to react slower to impulses…systems with higher impedances do the opposite.

AFAIK high impedance draw more current than low, the reason why they're not recommended on portable gear.

May 15, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

They do? Since when? They usually say DT990 consumer sound better than DT990pro but this guys review says otherwise. Anyway, use EQ on your DT990 to tone down the top end a bit and they should no longer sound sibilant to you. I use Electri-Q in foobar for that purpose. It's a VST plugin so you need to get George Yohng's VST wrapper for foobar too. I use a tube amp with my DT990pro so they probably don't sound as sibilant on the top end to me.

I installed this plugin and VST wrapper as well but the sound just doesn't change when I adjust eq. Its obviously not working. I have Auzentech Prelude sound card.

Do I have to run it in ASIO mode? And perhaps I need to install winamp plugin as well? I don't have winamp only foobar.

May 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 21
I use wasapi on Vista instead of ASIO and set my X-Fi to audio creation mode with bit perfect output and that feeds my EMU 0404 via coax digital and that feeds a tube amp. It works for me so not sure what you are doing wrong. I don't have WinAmp either so it's nothing to do with that.

May 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

I use wasapi on Vista instead of ASIO and set my X-Fi to audio creation mode with bit perfect output and that feeds my EMU 0404 via coax digital and that feeds a tube amp. It works for me so not sure what you are doing wrong. I don't have WinAmp either so it's nothing to do with that.

I just installed winamp and it works. Unfortunately I can't get it working in foobar
frown.gif

Btw what is your tube amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back