DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #586 of 1,091
  I am thinking of getting the 990, but a friend from head fi told me that the highs are quite sharp in these headphones and that is a no go for him.
I haven't heard them so I can't really tell. Maybe when you get a dedicated amp things might be different.

The highs are quite sharp and they tame down with more usage. but will still sound sharp to some ears. If you have tried grados, then expect the treble response to be almost as same as the grados. Although, you will enjoy the bass and soundstage very much. The soundstage is extremely airy and wide and music doesn't feel disconnected. I think it is because of the air that keeps everything connected unlike the K701's. Also, the bass is addictive. Audition them to get a better idea.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #587 of 1,091
Thanks for the explanation. It sheds some light. Quite unfortunate that I am not able to audition them though. The headphone market here is close to zero. The offer I found is from a webshop.

I come from listening the Audio Technica TAD400 home and the Audio Tehnica ATH-SJ33 at work. Not many impressions on those in the forum and I am not able to judge whether the DT990 will be too bright for me. The TAD400 is a good entry headphone but I would not call them hifi for sure. I recently purchased an Audio gd NFB 5.32 (Yes, I did the opposite of what everyone here says: "get a decent headphone, then look for an amp to drive them. I was desperate for a good DAC though) . It brought a whole different life into the TAD400. Nevertheless, I can sense that at points highs are quite sharp.

Generally for 100 USD more I can go for an used HD600 or even a HD650, but then again I have a bday coming and family will ask what to get me. I can say get me the DT990 but the price for the HD600 is too much. Ahhh...decisions, decisions. Haa....as a last resort I can have them give me the cash and I will top up for HD...but is it worth it ??

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #589 of 1,091
Loving these headphones from day one.
The sound is so clean and open and is perfect according to my tastes.
A fun headphone to listen to.
Soundstage is great and instrument separation is also awesome.
I did not find mids to be recessed and appreciating the open airy sound these cans has to offer while being fun.
These are very detailed but fatiguing after some listening time but it compliments my hd 598 and Sony mdr ma900 which are a bit laid back cans and easy on ears.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #590 of 1,091
  Loving these headphones from day one.
The sound is so clean and open and is perfect according to my tastes.
A fun headphone to listen to.
Soundstage is great and instrument separation is also awesome.
I did not find mids to be recessed and appreciating the open airy sound these cans has to offer while being fun.
These are very detailed but fatiguing after some listening time but it compliments my hd 598 and Sony mdr ma900 which are a bit laid back cans and easy on ears.

Same.

These headphones are pretty beast! 

For the money I would not consider anything else. Especially if you like bass, natural air and clarity. It's a fun listen. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #591 of 1,091
I think you got me convinced. I hope to be getting them next month. :D

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #592 of 1,091
I just got these brand new from Amazon for $75. Yes, $75.

How did this happen?
--I noticed the 17% discount and 35 rebate that Amazon.com was running by checking Slickdeals.net on Cyber Monday
--The price was fluctuating that day on Amazon...moving from 220 to 190.
--Snagged them when they were 185...minus the 17% made them about 150.
--The next day i noticed the price had dropped to 180 on Amazon. Being the cheap person I am, I used the chat program on Amazon to see if I could get the difference refuned. They have done this in the past. The person just said they would refund the difference. I thanked them and asked what the amount was. Then the wrote $36. I didn't say anything and noticed that the refund was already posted. That made them charge me $110toal, minus $35 rebate ... $75. I'm so lucky

I've been researching and looking for a new pair of headphones for a month now. I feel so lucky. I only have a DGX so i'll probably need to invest in some amping. I'm going to see if I can get away with it first.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #593 of 1,091
How are the DT990 for outdoor use? Mainly on buses etc. I really prefer them to the closed DT660-The 660 are my second favourite but they're of course choked by the closed design. I am concerned with hearing loss and high volumes-Is it still possible to listen in public with normal volumes?

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #594 of 1,091
How are the DT990 for outdoor use? Mainly on buses etc. I really prefer them to the closed DT660-The 660 are my second favourite but they're of course choked by the closed design. I am concerned with hearing loss and high volumes-Is it still possible to listen in public with normal volumes?

Sure, just keep in mind that you'll be hearing everything around you, as well. The 990 is the most open (literally) can I own. The big downside to this is the environmental noise.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #595 of 1,091
You will definately NOT be able to use the DT990 outdoors. They are too open - you'll have to crank them really loud in order to hear over the background noise, at which point everyone around you will be able to hear your music too.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #597 of 1,091
You will definately NOT be able to use the DT990 outdoors. They are too open - you'll have to crank them really loud in order to hear over the background noise, at which point everyone around you will be able to hear your music too.

I agree with this. I think you'd have to be nuts to use these outside. You'd damage your hearing. If you want to use them outside or in public, then you want closed, so go for the Custom One Pros or DT 770.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #600 of 1,091
OK, I'll give up on using it outdoors. But in terms of home headphones-How do they compare to the HD600 and K701/2?

I own all these. As you seem to discount my experience, counting votes, perhaps one of the other folks could deliver some sage advice.

Edit: I see someone already has. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back