DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #571 of 1,091
I've read that the O2 dac/amp and the Schiit Modi/Vali combos are fine for music and gaming. The problem with some hybrid tube amps is that the dynamics are bit toned down in favor of a smoother sound, which a lot of people like with headphones. For gaming (I assume) you want really good dynamics and transients, which will give you more realistic guns and bombs, etc.  For that, solid state amps in the sub 500 range tend to be pretty good. Over that amount, with tubes as well, you're getting into mid-fi territory, and you may find a tube amp that's perfect for everything. However, I think overall solid state amps are best for dynamics. 

Also, don't forget that your source will play a huge role, and the better the dac the better the sound, period. You probably want good sound-stage with games (as with complex music) and so a good dac with a decently transparent amp will go far to bringing you that realistic sound you want with movies/games. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #572 of 1,091
I have an Aune T1, around same price range being mentioned. It's hybrid/DAC, but nice thing about it is you can use it as pure solid state by using the line in, hybrid by using the DAC+SS, or as a DAC+tube preamp by using the line out. Really liked it with the 990s for the little time I had with them. I've only used it with Grados and Sennheisers before but it opened up the soundstage much more on the 990s than the Grados or Senns. Didn't have enough time to take note of all the nuances though.

On that note, if anyone has broken 250 ohms or old ones they'd part with for cheap or trade hit me up because I fried a voice coil wire on one of the drivers while recabling them about two hours after I got them, which I do to all my headphones.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #573 of 1,091
  I have an Aune T1, around same price range being mentioned. It's hybrid/DAC, but nice thing about it is you can use it as pure solid state by using the line in, hybrid by using the DAC+SS, or as a DAC+tube preamp by using the line out. Really liked it with the 990s for the little time I had with them. I've only used it with Grados and Sennheisers before but it opened up the soundstage much more on the 990s than the Grados or Senns. Didn't have enough time to take note of all the nuances though.

On that note, if anyone has broken 250 ohms or old ones they'd part with for cheap or trade hit me up because I fried a voice coil wire on one of the drivers while recabling them about two hours after I got them, which I do to all my headphones.

The problem is, it's USB. It will bypass my sound card and anything gaming related

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #574 of 1,091
  If you like the sound out of your dt990 then get a O2 dac and amp  http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/
Nice clean amp that sounds great with multiple headphones.

The O2 amp alone looks neat on its own, but just outside my price range.
It's not usb, right? Need to use it iwth my sound card.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #575 of 1,091
You really dont need a sound card but now that you do have one, just go for a used schiit magni and modi combo or a used o2 amp and dac. Make sure you get the magni and modi not as a USB if you go with that.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #576 of 1,091
The problem is, it's USB. It will bypass my sound card and anything gaming related

It's not USB only, like I said you can use the line in and use it as a solid state. Which is also good since I agree with the earlier posts that tube is not the best for gaming. That's how I use it, the tube for music and solid state for almost everything else.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #578 of 1,091

The O2 amp alone looks neat on its own, but just outside my price range.
It's not usb, right? Need to use it iwth my sound card

If you already have dac chip with your sound card and do not need the odac section, I mean you can get a used O2 for like 90-110$ that is definitely one of the best bangs for your buck, but using the DT990s I prefered the Schiit Vali, Hell the Vahalla may sound awesome with it but that is more expensive. I would find a used Vali(80-100$) which is very lifelike feeling, slightly warm, detailed, with good staging. I highly recommend this pairing with DT990s

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #580 of 1,091
Hey guys,

I just yday bought an Audio gd NFB 5.32 DAC and I am really thinking of getting the DT990 Pro as the price is quite good here: 175 USD. I was wondering if anyone has had similar setups and wanted to share some feedback on the NFB 5.32 + DT990 Pro combo?

Cheers in advance.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #581 of 1,091
Magni has soundstage issues? When in doubt throw something immeasurable the mix. No one can disprove or approve of that objectively. I bet an ABX test would make things harder but that would be to hard on the amps :p

Whats with the DT990s being so pricey now I bought them a year back or so at 149.99

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #582 of 1,091
To be honest 175 USD is a really good price where I am. Other shops sell it for even more.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #583 of 1,091
I saved up €200 for dac/amp combo. Will be using it with my DT990 250ohm and my speakers (Edifier R1600T). So speaker support is appreciated. Also, i need portability in a sense that i put my dac/amp in my suitcase and not worry about anything (tubes?) breaking.

Currently looking at:
Audioengine D1 (current favourite)
O2+ODAC
Aune T1

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #584 of 1,091
Bought the DT 990 pros recently. I'm driving them with my phone( getting an amp/dac soon). They are quite loud out of my phone. Initially, they were quite warm, bassy(loose bass) and slow. Also, the highs were tamed by the loose bass. After 20 hours burn in, the bass has become tighter but the highs have become sharp and more noticable. While people complained about their dt 990's sounding shrill out of the box and then taming later. mine was opposite. Is this normal? 

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #585 of 1,091
I am thinking of getting the 990, but a friend from head fi told me that the highs are quite sharp in these headphones and that is a no go for him.
I haven't heard them so I can't really tell. Maybe when you get a dedicated amp things might be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back