DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
May 26, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,066 of 1,091
Correct but the magni 2 will hopefully have more power which I hope can improve the headphones sonic capabilities further.

Correct me if am wrong here.

I run my 990 Pro 250ohm through a Modi/Magni 2 Uber stack and they sound amazing through it. They're bright, so this amp/dac setup produces a very sparkly and defined sound. Excellent bass too, at least to my ear.

I'm 52 and my high frequency hearing is a little less acute these days than it was 20 years ago, so the piercing highs take a while to wear my ears out. If I was younger I might have preferred the DT 880 instead for it's gentler high end.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,067 of 1,091
Welcome to the club my friend! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your DT 990 Pro's as much as I have over the last year! And as an added bonus, they seem to sound better with age!
Thank you very much for the extensive post, it is much appreciated and I understand everything now.
Indeed I was definitely over-driving them, I was able to also verify this in a hi-fi store which had high quality equipment.

Everything you just said is spot-on. Yes I want accurate reproduction, which the DT990s are good at, but also that "thumping bass".
It's not that I want the car-filled-with-absurd-subwoofers experience, but some of my favorite genres (such as deep house) have some really deep bass sometimes, and the DT990s can't handle it even at moderate volume levels. I just want clear sound for all my music, and this product can't handle deep bass at moderate levels.
I've already heard positive things about the M50s, I just want to be sure about one thing before I buy them: how big are they? There are many circumaural headphones that aren't very big and sit on your ears causing discomfort. From the pictures I see on the Internet I can't tell.

So in conclusion yes, I think I'll do the exact same thing and purchase the M50s for "fun" listening while I'll be using the Beyerdynamics for other genres.

PS: this springs a question to my mind: are the high-end headphones in the 500€+ range capable of handling "thumping" bass or are they all focused on accurate reproductions of sound with little to no bass?
Very late reply but this helped a ton. I realized that it was actually the mixer I was using that was creating the problem and this brought it to my attention. And man, what a difference these headphones are to my old ones. Great suggestion from another thread. Thanks y'all.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,075 of 1,091
I loves my 990’s so much I just jumped on the 770 massdrop.

Steve

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,077 of 1,091
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #1,078 of 1,091
Hello!

I have just recieved a pair of Brainwavz sheepskin pads for my DT990's. However, the DT990's are a bit too bassy for my taste with those pads mounted. I have already removed the foam discs in front of the drivers. Any of you know a way of brightening the headphones, while still being able to use the same pads? They're sooo comfy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back