DT990 250Ohm / Pro 250Ohm, replace my current amp?
Sep 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tomako

New Head-Fier
As I want to have a better experience in games I've been considering the above headphones. My current setup is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 with the ASUS Xonar DG, which has an build in amp. Will I be able to drive a pair of 250Ohm headphone with it or should I upgrade? On a sidenote, it stands between the Pro and ordinary version. From what I've read it is that the soundstage is slightly less and that comfort is somewhat better with a lighter clamp regarding the non-Pro. Whereas the pro only has a heavier bass. Is this the case? Has anyone tried all three to help me decide? I don't have glasses.

Great thanks in advance!

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 14
I can't answer your first question, but you should know that DT990 pro is pretty easy to drive. I often don't even bother plugging it into the amp (even though I have one). It gives enough volume straight out of the laptop I'm using most of the time.

Don't bother with the non-pro version. It's essentially the same thing, with the looks and the extra clamping force on the DT 990 pro being the only things different. 990 Pro is cheaper. Go with that.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 14
I can't answer your first question, but you should know that DT990 pro is pretty easy to drive. I often don't even bother plugging it into the amp (even though I have one). It gives enough volume straight out of the laptop I'm using most of the time.

Don't bother with the non-pro version. It's essentially the same thing, with the looks and the extra clamping force on the DT 990 pro being the only things different. 990 Pro is cheaper. Go with that.

So, the price difference between the Pro and 250Ohm non-pro isn't worth it?

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 14
The Pro version IS 250Ohm. But yeah, the price difference between the Pro and Premium versions is definitely not worth it. It's actually ridiculous that there is such a price difference. Whatever sound difference you might be able to detect (heavier bass on the Pro and whatever else) is simply due to the differences in clamping force. They are exactly the same headphone, in different build quality/style.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 14
The Pro version IS 250Ohm. But yeah, the price difference between the Pro and Premium versions is definitely not worth it. It's actually ridiculous that there is such a price difference. Whatever sound difference you might be able to detect (heavier bass on the Pro and whatever else) is simply due to the differences in clamping force. They are exactly the same headphone, in different build quality/style.

Then the choice is the Pro version. That said the main question remains. Will I be able to drive it using the Xonar DG? http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DG/overview/

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 14

Then the choice is the Pro version. That said the main question remains. Will I be able to drive it using the Xonar DG? http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DG/overview/

Some have used the Xonar DG to drive the 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones, I did not think my Xonar DG was good at driving 250-Ohm headphones.
The FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, $60, could be used with the Xonar DG.
The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $84, can easy drive the 250-Ohm headphones

Where as the 40-Ohm Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (open) headphone could easy be driven by the Xonar DG

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 14

Some have used the Xonar DG to drive the 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones, I did not think my Xonar DG was good at driving 250-Ohm headphones.
The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $84, can easy drive the 250-Ohm headphones

Where as the 40-Ohm Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (open) headphone could easy be driven by the Xonar DG

The Creative Soundblaster Z seems like a good choice, and comboing that with the DT990 Pro does match up to an acceptable price. I'm just wondering whether it would use more power than my current soundcard, but that seems only logical with it pumping out more power than the DG. Is that the case?

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 14
If games are mostly what you need this for, Xonar DG will probably be perfectly fine. If you're listening to high definition recordings of the London Symphony or something like that, then looking for a better amp would be a rational decision. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 14
If games are mostly what you need this for, Xonar DG will probably be perfectly fine. If you're listening to high definition recordings of the London Symphony or something like that, then looking for a better amp would be a rational decision. 

That sounds like something that would have been written as a Youtube comment, to be honest. Anyone have a more explained reason why this would (if it is) is the case? I haven't lurked execessive amount of hours on /g/ in vain now, have I?

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 14
That sounds like something that would have been written as a Youtube comment, to be honest. Anyone have a more explained reason why this would (if it is) is the case? I haven't lurked execessive amount of hours on /g/ in vain now, have I?

What sounds like a YouTube comment is your obscure and confused reaction to my clear piece of advice, stating: 1) If your audio needs are mostly limited to games, then you're probably fine with the DG, and 2) If you also enjoy high quality audio recordings occasionally, getting a better amp (like an O2) would be a good option. Either way, DT 990 pro will provide a very enjoyable experience.

Sorry to see you're not happy with the brevity of my response. I don't blabber unnecessarily. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 14

The Creative Soundblaster Z seems like a good choice, and comboing that with the DT990 Pro does match up to an acceptable price. I'm just wondering whether it would use more power than my current soundcard, but that seems only logical with it pumping out more power than the DG. Is that the case?

I would assume the SB-Z uses more juice then the Xonar DG (a lot more stuff on the SB-Z's PCB).
But then again the SB-Z's SoundCore3D is a much newer design then the DG's C-Media CMI 8786, so I would assume the SoundCore3D is a smaller nanometer, thus requiring less voltage to do the same job the DG might do.
The SB-Z would be plugged into the PCI-E slot, which I would assume can provide more power the the PCI slot the DG is plugged into.
I would assume to the computer's power supply, it might be around 2% power draw increase (if that much)? for using the SB-Z.

But in the big picture, can't see the SB-Z's power draw being a factor in deciding to buy it or not.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 14

What sounds like a YouTube comment is your obscure and confused reaction to my clear piece of advice, stating: 1) If your audio needs are mostly limited to games, then you're probably fine with the DG, and 2) If you also enjoy high quality audio recordings occasionally, getting a better amp (like an O2) would be a good option. Either way, DT 990 pro will provide a very enjoyable experience.

Sorry to see you're not happy with the brevity of my response. I don't blabber unnecessarily. 

My post has offended you, pardon me. It was not the intention. I read your post in the wrong way, seeing it somewhat generic, thus my horrible response.

I would assume the SB-Z uses more juice then the Xonar DG (a lot more stuff on the SB-Z's PCB).
But then again the SB-Z's SoundCore3D is a much newer design then the DG's C-Media CMI 8786, so I would assume the SoundCore3D is a smaller nanometer, thus requiring less voltage to do the same job the DG might do.
The SB-Z would be plugged into the PCI-E slot, which I would assume can provide more power the the PCI slot the DG is plugged into.
I would assume to the computer's power supply, it might be around 2% power draw increase (if that much)? for using the SB-Z.

But in the big picture, can't see the SB-Z's power draw being a factor in deciding to buy it or not.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 14
I would just try your current soundcard with the DT990, then decide from there.

Nothing personal, but I've noticed that newbies put too much weight on impedance. 250 ohms is no big deal, by itself. Impedance only matters when considered in context with sensitivity. The DT990 is not that hard to drive. The only question is if you think it sounds good with your current soundcard.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 14
I would just try your current soundcard with the DT990, then decide from there.

Nothing personal, but I've noticed that newbies put too much weight on impedance. 250 ohms is no big deal, by itself. Impedance only matters when considered in context with sensitivity. The DT990 is not that hard to drive. The only question is if you think it sounds good with your current soundcard.

Why didn't I think of that? I'll try this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back