DT880 vs Kenwood KH-K1000
Sep 16, 2010 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vicktnguyen

Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi!!
Just received my set of DT880/600 ohms on Monday, cannot be any happier
biggrin.gif
. I heard so many good thing about this headphones and decided to take the plunge. So i let it burn in for a good 2 days and gave it some first listening this afternoon, the DT880 sounds very nice, detail is amazing, bass is tight and sound stage is very wide, nothing short of my expectation
beyersmile.png
, very happy with this baby.
       Now onto the comparison, i did some A/B listening between the DT880 and the Kenwood KH-K1000 and man they are close. The KH-K1000 has a little more bass and sound stage is not as big but the quality is just so damn near identical. I got a friend to help me out and he prefers the DT880 better since the KH-K1000 bass is too much for his liking. But i lean a little more toward the Kenwood. I think the problem maybe due to my rig does not pair well with the DT880 (zero DAC -> LD MKVII -> DT880) or further burn in to improve the DT880 potential. I probably will upgrade to a better set up and do another test but for now i just can't declare a winner. Comfortable level of both are about the same, i like the DT880 velvet earpads better since i can wear it for a long listening session. However, KH-K1000 is HUGE so it can fit my gigantic head 
L3000.gif
      This is my little review about the DT880 and KH-K1000, i am by no mean an expert or anything but a fellow head-fier who appreciate quality sound. Please leave comment and feedback so i can improve down the road 
cool.gif
. Thanks for reading!! Cheers 

Here are some picture comparison of the two, bad quality since i took it with my phones >.<

The boxes

DT880, KH-K1000

DT880, KH-K1000 with K702 in the mix

Earcups size

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 7
Thanks for the informative and interesting review. I've never heard the Kenwood, but am totally shocked to hear that they are so close in sound to the DT 880/600. Enjoy your headphones!

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 7
It is no problem at all, glad that i can contribute something here
bigsmile_face.gif
. To my opinion, the KH-K1000 is really under appreciated on head-fi even though they are indeed very good. I would say one of the best closed headphones at mid-fi range.  

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 7
I wish you would not say that, because the last thing I need is another closed headphone in the mid-fi range, but I am very tempted.
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Haha!! I understand what you mean. I remember after reading Skylab's review on the KH-K1000, i immediately set my eyes on it. The same with the DT880. If you live around my area, i would gladly let you audition for sure
tongue_smile.gif
. I see you have a lot of good headphones on your profile, what do you think about the sound of HD650 compare to DT880/600? Very interested in the "Senn" sound but unfortunately i can't afford any right now 
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Haha!! I understand what you mean. I remember after reading Skylab's review on the KH-K1000, i immediately set my eyes on it. The same with the DT880. If you live around my area, i would gladly let you audition for sure
tongue_smile.gif
. I see you have a lot of good headphones on your profile, what do you think about the sound of HD650 compare to DT880/600? Very interested in the "Senn" sound but unfortunately i can't afford any right now 
frown.gif

I live in DC unfortunately, but thanks for the offer. Did you purchase them from AudioCubes? Is that the only place to buy them these days?

I like each of the HD 650/600, K 702, DT 880 and AH-D2000, although not in that order. In fact, I am listening to the HD 650 right now. It is obviously slower and darker than the DT 880, which is livelier and brighter, as it follows.
smile.gif
 I doubt there's much I could add to the impressions of these headphones. Plus, I am sure you will one day get around to getting the HD 650/600. You are clearly on that road.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 7
Lol no problem!! I bought them from amazon japan, i believe it should be around $250 but since the Japanese yen skyrocketed, it cost me close to $350... goddamn currency exchange lol. Still, it's cheaper than AudiCubes tho
wink.gif
. The HD650 really sounds like a pair i need to complete my collection. If you decide to sell them anytime soon, let me know 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back