DT880 right for me?
Jun 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mr Joboto

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so I'm "A/Bing" between the MS-Pro and the DT770 Pro. I listened to music with the DT770s for this entire week at home exclusively, coming from the Pros, I wonder where on earth the midrange went. Ooo, a fair bit of bass, not the 'sea' I expected, but definitely a lot more than I'm used to. 

Eventually my ears accustom to it, and then I flip back to the Pros after a few days. I sorta miss the 'different' bass response of the 770s. And woah, way too much midrange, not used to it being flung out at me anymore. Not sure I like my midrange this forward anymore. Also, on a side note, at work I use my ESW9s, love the smooooooth mids, more than the Pros.

To sum it up, could the DT880 be a good headphone for me?

**side note: Probably getting a Burson HA160 in the near future or something along those lines

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 8
All Beyers that I have heard suffer from the same recessed mids. This is typically not an issue with well recorded material, but unless you only listen to jazz and classical, you may find them lacking with a lot of recordings. So the mids are going to be much of what you are use to. The bass is there on the 880, good quantity and quality, but not a ton of impact. The highs would probably be similar to the 770 but much smoother, still retaining tons of detail. And you get excellent soundstage. Everyone should try an 880/600. They are amazing if that is the sound you are looking for.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 8
So basically I can't expect the mids to be too much more forward than my 770 Pros?

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 8
I find the mids on the DT880/600 to be exceptional. They are more 'forward' than the DT770 / 250 ohm (haven't listened to the Pro's). Everything about them is better... More realistic bass, more tamed highs (though still incredibly bright).
I think Slaughter is right, you should try the DT880/600.

shane

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, I'm definitely looking into the DT880/600 once I decide whether to keep my 770s or the incoming HFI-780s. Oh, and a new amp would be nice too.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Once you get used to the DT880 600 ohm, I can almost guarantee you will want to sell all your other headphones. However, once you get used to your MS Pro's again, this will change. I was soooo close to selling my HF-2 after my DT880s arrived. I  listen to my HF-2 when I am energetic and DT880 when I am more relaxed. The HF-2s brightness becomes too much for me when I am tired, relaxed etc. DT880 are very welcoming and have incredible bass if you listen to the right tracks and amp it correctly. I did own the ALO-780, no mids at all. From memory, they were about: 90% Low end, 40% mid range, 90% highs. They were wonderful until my HF-2 arrives. I think you should just listen to the same headphone for a month or so without hearing any other headphones and you should realise that you love that one and cannot really enjoy the others as much 
biggrin.gif
 I think you would be very happy with the DT880 600ohm.

By no means are they bright. I actually find them to be quite warm. Cymbals are by no means laid back, but they aren't anywhere near as "treble centric" and bright as my Grado HF-2. They are sibilant (only noticed this within the last 20 minutes because I have never looked out for this attribute of the DT880 600ohm), but it is not annoying to my 16 year old ears 
beyersmile.png

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 8
All sounds real good to me :) The 880/600s are gonna be my next purchase for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back