dt880 pro or premium
Jun 20, 2008 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bear7

100+ Head-Fier
Would somebody please explain to me the difference in a beyerdynamic dt880 pro and a dt880 premium.

Thank you
bear7

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 3
The headband makes a difference that is more than cosmetic. The PRO is rated at 3.5N ("Newtons") of headband clamping pressure, while the consumer "Premiums" are 2.8N, a looser fit. In fact, a dream-like cloud fit. I love the consumer 880's, tested them at CanJam '08 and mine arrived TODAY, being burned in now.

And then there is impedance. Both the Pro and the Premium are by default 250 Ohms, but previously the Pro was available in a 600 Ohm version (better) yet Premium wasn't.

ALL THAT HAS CHANGED with the advent of Beyer's wonderful MANUFAKTUR product and web site. This is for the consumer Premium 770, 880, 990. You can get 600 Ohms, or even for portable gear without an amp 32 Ohms. Plus now the option of straight or coiled cable is available AND a great choice of colors and materials for the cushions and headband (and other parts) too.

Serious leather, and even engraving your name ... I mean it's too juicy for words.

I spent hours picking my options -- the site is way kewl -- and when I ripped open the box today I was thrilled with the look.

This is the way to buy HP (after listening, of course). Beyer should be proud. Highly recommended.

Now if only they had cable upgrades! I am going to have mine "done" by Drew at moon-audio who did a great job on my Ultrasones. I'll go Silver Dragon and split cabling, shorter too.

I can't wait for the burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back