DT880 or DT990?
Jan 27, 2007 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

EnOYiN

Headphoneus Supremus
I am planning on buying either one of these headphones. I am not sure which one to buy. I've got a Porta Corda MkIII-USB to drive them.

I read a lot of reviews on these headphones. Based upon these reviews I've got a few questions:

1. What is the difference between the 880s and the 990s? (no, not the price)
2. What is the difference between the new version and the old version?
3. What do you recommend?
4. Will my amp be able to drive them well?

(I listen to a lot of different genres; classical, heavy metal, britpop, blues, dance etc)

Thank you guys in advance.

Jos G

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning on buying either one of these headphones. I am not sure which one to buy. I've got a Porta Corda MkIII-USB to drive them.

I read a lot of reviews on these headphones. Based upon these reviews I've got a few questions:

1. What is the difference between the 880s and the 990s? (no, not the price)
2. What is the difference between the new version and the old version?
3. What do you recommend?
4. Will my amp be able to drive them well?

(I listen to a lot of different genres; classical, heavy metal, britpop, blues, dance etc)

Thank you guys in advance.

Jos G

880 is much more balanced, but slightly treble heavy, mids slightly recessed
990 is more bass heavy, mids slightly more forward (IMO), and about the same treble as 880
New version of 990 is completely different (better) while 880 is pretty much the same with tiny improvements
I liked 990 better, it's more 'fun' sounding, but either one's great
990 works for more music, i suggest you get that

Your amp should be fine, but i've never heard it so...

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 4
701 is more accurate, with great mids and great for vocals. As mentioned, dt990 is more fun sounding. I've heard both and the 990's does better for my kind of music (DnB, chill, electronica). I really wanted to like the 701, but it sounded bland to me and nothing really stood out. It needs a really good amp to power it well. Oh, and the construction isn't as good as the beyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back