DT880 mid recessed?
May 13, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't call the mids recessed -- my description would be dry or clinical. I find the DT880 reacts well to a dose of tubey warmth; and I particularly like them paired with an Earmax amplifier.

even with tube warmth the mids weren't life-like/juicy enough for me

May 13, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #17 of 36
I like my '05 DT880 with Little Dot III. I guess the bass could be enough to cause the mids to sound a little recessed. EQ will take care of that if you really think it's a problem. LD3 does have an "immediate" soundstage rather than the big soundstage the DT880 is capable of, but other than that it's a decent match and LD3 is certainly a good tube amp for the price. You can roll tubes to work on bass, treble and overall tubiness.

May 13, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 36
I'm sure someone mentioned it already, but the very flat presentation and somewhat accentuated treble does make it seem like the mids are a bit recessed. The don't think the treble is so exaggerated that it takes away from the rest of the spectrum so much so that it's unlistenable though. I find this to be the case with the DT770's, where the bass is just too overwhelming. I think the bass of the DT880's is comparable to my Senn's, but I think it's a tad more accurate. At least that's the case with my equipment. I'm sure as you substitute in better components the differences will be more distinct, and it will be clearer which can is better. I can't afford a $1000 Singlepower amp a Meridian CD player right now though.

I think the DT880's best quality is its airy soundstage and smooth sound. I don't find them fatiguing at all. I can see why some people don't like them though, and that's fine. I'm not planning to get rid of my other headphones either, because I now there will come a point when I'll want the warmer sound of my DT770 or HD580's.

May 13, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure someone mentioned it already, but the very flat presentation and somewhat accentuated treble does make it seem like the mids are a bit recessed. The don't think the treble is so exaggerated that it takes away from the rest of the spectrum so much so that it's unlistenable though. I find this to be the case with the DT770's, where the bass is just too overwhelming. I think the bass of the DT880's is comparable to my Senn's, but I think it's a tad more accurate. At least that's the case with my equipment. I'm sure as you substitute in better components the differences will be more distinct, and it will be clearer which can is better. I can't afford a $1000 Singlepower amp a Meridian CD player right now though.

I think the DT880's best quality is its airy soundstage and smooth sound. I don't find them fatiguing at all. I can see why some people don't like them though, and that's fine. I'm not planning to get rid of my other headphones either, because I now there will come a point when I'll want the warmer sound of my DT770 or HD580's.

I agree, I can plop the DT880s on my head and their gone, they are so comfortable. Plus they aren't like Grados, where the sound basically forces you to take a break after a couple hours.

I've listened to the DT880s for more than six hours while doing computer work and I didn't get the urge to take them off once.

May 14, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #20 of 36
Anyone heard the 600 ohms version?

I heard it once briefly, with a really anemic amp, if it was any indication, it seems (I didn't spend a lot of time with it) to have less bass than the 250 ohms one. Probably something like ER-4P vs ER-4S. Assuming that the DT880 '05 has a mid bass hump, would it be likely the issue doesn't exist on the 600 ohms version?

May 14, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #21 of 36
Sony DAPs have dampened, dark and unlively midrange. There is nothing like midrange recession in the DT880 05 model. The midbass hump disappears after some period of burn-in but the burn-in needs some hours of really loud playback. Finally, the "better" version of DT880 '05 is Pro, with wider, closer and more 3D headstage.

May 14, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, the "better" version of DT880 '05 is Pro, with wider, closer and more 3D headstage.

How is that possible when they both use the same drivers, and I assume a similar headband and cable.
confused.gif
Although I do recall that the "Pro" beyer lines have more clamping force, wouldn't that contract headstage/soundstage?

Oh yea forgot to add, I hear no recessed midrange. But also you might experience recessed midrange when you compare a set of headphones with more upfront midrange to the DT-880's eg. Grado's/Alessandros. When I moved from the MS-2's to the DT-880's my first impressions where, Holy crap! These sound so hollow!

May 14, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #24 of 36
There are Pro version of all three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the latest Beyer range, is there a pro or non pro version? It seems that currently there is only one DT880 version (or DT770 and DT990 for that matter)

May 15, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #25 of 36
Other than the pro:

- uses a tighter headband
- comes with a coiled cable instead of a straight one
- has a slightly different look
- designed for studio use

What are the difference exactly?

May 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #26 of 36
I told you guys what are the perceived differences. A Beyerdynamic representative told me that the drivers are positioned in a slightly different way in pro and non-pro versions but I didn't investigate it for myself, just believed my ears and his suggestions.

May 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #27 of 36
I don't belive that the 600 ohm DT880s have a mid-bass hump. Bright treble for sure. Mids are as close to neutral as you could hope for. Without tubes the overall sound is a bit dry. The DT880s add no colour.

Think of the DT880s as a very clear window on a bright world. But for the brightness out there, they just show you what is. Synergy is everything. (cough, cough... Monica!)

May 15, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 36
I heard at least two SS amps + mine DIY that sound great with the DT880's without using tubes. As cooperpwc said, it's all about synergy, or maybe rather fidelity. These headphones sound like crap from a bad source. If it has to be portable - Teclast T39 is the only way to go with the DT880's. Even budgetary desktop CDP's might be insufficient for the DT880's with the amp second.

May 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #29 of 36
I should indeed qualify my comment on tubes. That's an easy (and good) solution but not, I would think, the only one. (I have a curious desire to try my DT880s with a GS-1. Gut instinct says that could be very nice.)

Which leads to another thought: DT880s scream to be recabled balanced. They have such potential to unlock. (And so they are one of the popular 4 for balancing together with K701s, and HD600/650s.)

May 15, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #30 of 36
Noob question alert!

On the stage, for mono device, 1/4" mono is called "unbalanced" while 3 pin XLR is called" balanced". For "balanced" headphone, does each driver require 2 or 3 connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back