DT880, DT990, HD650 and K701 - a short summary
Mar 22, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #17 of 59
One other thought, I bought the dt 990 with the idea that since my dac has a tube buffer and I was running it through a tube amp that the brightness of the dt-990 wound not bother me. But it still was to bright. It ,in MHO, needs equalized down in the treble but then excels. I have had grado 60 HD-555 hd-595 and these blow them away. But thats on my gear and its a opinion of course..I have got to a point where I do not want to buy any more gear. I really mean it this time.Really.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #18 of 59
very_evil_smiley.gif
STOP IT
very_evil_smiley.gif

IT'S NOT!!!

And their NOT VEILED either, So just STOP IT!
very_evil_smiley.gif

They have a WarmSoundStage is all
tongue.gif

/ I keed, I keed
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 59
Nice review - and a damned good read. I agree on most points except a few. I had the Aria and the K701 for a month as a reference. A few points:

I do not find the Aria to be a "warm" amp at all. Not specially so, when paired with the K701. I find the Aria to be quite neutral and revealing. When combined with the K701, the pairing doesn't sound very musical to my ears - well not after hearing other amps. Great for analysing the music though.

The K701 can deliver more bass when paired with another amp. The lack of punch I can most certainly blame on the Aria. Even a lowly headphonia sounds punchier than the Aria (albeit less detail, separation and soundstage).

Am I the only one that likes the clean white look of the K701? I reckon it looks funky. If you're creating a unique looking headphone, might as well go all out!!
orphsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by spukee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review - and a damned good read. I agree on most points except a few. I had the Aria and the K701 for a month as a reference. A few points:

I do not find the Aria to be a "warm" amp at all. Not specially so, when paired with the K701. I find the Aria to be quite neutral and revealing. When combined with the K701, the pairing doesn't sound very musical to my ears - well not after hearing other amps. Great for analysing the music though.

The K701 can deliver more bass when paired with another amp. The lack of punch I can most certainly blame on the Aria. Even a lowly headphonia sounds punchier than the Aria (albeit less detail, separation and soundstage).

Am I the only one that likes the clean white look of the K701? I reckon it looks funky. If you're creating a unique looking headphone, might as well go all out!!
orphsmile.gif

A big X2. The Aria ist definetly no warm amp at all. I agree with spukee there completely. Its an excellent choice for the HD650, but not for the K701.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #21 of 59
That's an extremely well-put-together multi-way review, it just gets right to the point. A refreshing read for me personally since I tend to get verbose on my own descriptions. I agree on nearly every point and with the main ideas overall as well.

Thanks for completely shooting down the DT990 for me btw.
tongue.gif
I was briefly entertaining it as an option someday it but now that you've compared it to 2 other headphones I've heard extensively, I don't need to bother anymore.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimsnarf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic DT880'05:
+ Sounds great even at low volumes.

Really?
blink.gif
I experience mine really as weak performers when it goes to low volumes. The thin bass department vanishes completely then, they need something like (don't know) 80db or so to live up. One of the reasons why I use them rather seldom.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?
blink.gif
I experience mine really as weak performers when it goes to low volumes. The thin bass department vanishes completely then, they need something like (don't know) 80db or so to live up. One of the reasons why I use them rather seldom.

He's reviewing the '05 model. I see in your sig that you've got the '03 model.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would anyone want to buy headphones that "Sounds congested and strained at louder volumes" ?

What headphones are you talking about? K701?

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones are you talking about? K701?

Of course not, because that would be a negative thing, and cotd would never say something like this about his K701...

He's talking about the HD650

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #26 of 59
I've been in audio heaven listening to my HD650's. I thought that was it. No more big cans. This comparison gave me such an itch of upgraditis that I just ordered the K701's.

For amps, do you think a Little Dot Micro or Xin XM3 will do the K701's justice?
I listen to mostly modern jazz (funk/fusion/acid/smooth).

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimsnarf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I wouldn't choose them as my main headphones for metal or drum'n'bass-heavy electronic music,

Any suggestions on what you would / do use for this kind of music?

Thanks for the excellent review - I'm now intrigued by the 701 more than I was.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #28 of 59
Thanks for the review, kimsnarf! I completely agree with your opinions of the DT 880. I was a little sad to see you so down on the HD 650, though I agree with about half of what you said. I think removing the foam that covers the drivers remedies most of your complaints. I haven't heard the DT 990, but I've seen other opinions of it that agree closely with yours. We part company at the K701, however, which I think is at its absolute worst with vocals. It's otherwise a very good can, detailed, with great frequency response and control. It's just missing some fullness in the lower part of male vocals that makes vocals (and instruments in that range) sound pinched.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was a little sad to see you so down on the HD 650, though I agree with about half of what you said. I think removing the foam that covers the drivers remedies most of your complaints. I haven't heard the DT 990, but I've seen other opinions of it that agree closely with yours. We part company at the K701, however, which I think is at its absolute worst with vocals. It's otherwise a very good can, detailed, with great frequency response and control. It's just missing some fullness in the lower part of male vocals that makes vocals (and instruments in that range) sound pinched.

As a very vocal HD650 fan, I gotta say we should have tougher skins. I think the latest "best brand" showed that Sennheisers are easily the most popular headphone
tongue.gif
Some of the k701 fans tend to show themselves for what they are (not directed towards the OP but a certain couple other posters here)
rolleyes.gif
We have different ears and setups, so our critical perceptions are going to be different. What I find as natural in the HD650, k701 fans feel as congested, sluggish, veiled, and lack of detail. What they find as natural in the k701, I feel as though is hollow, thin, congested, and lack of resolution. I realize my ears are not a golden standard that everyone else will share, and no one else should feel that way about their ears either. People are entitled to their opinions, but I wish we could get past questioning other people's preferences.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #30 of 59
Very well done review, very nice read. And not because you happened to like K701 best.

I'm amazed how fast this thread turned into a petty argument about which one is the best, K701 or HD 650, and as usual, the individuals praising or defending are the same as everywhere. This thread and the reviewer deserves more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back