DT880 600Ohm's, tube amp
Oct 17, 2011 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Leiker535

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm thinking in buy one tube amp for mine DT880's.

I'm actually using it with the FiiO E9+E7, I know it isnt the right combination for it, but since I didnt have much money to spend, and knew that I'll do a update soon, the combo did his best. My beyer's are the 600ohm model, and since its the hardest model to drive, Im thinking in a tube amp.

I want a smoother and warmer sound, the FiiO combo drives my DT880 to the bright side, and in some musics with loudness war or bad recorded ones, the siblilance get's real annoing. My budget is U$300~350, I thought in the LiD MKIII, but I dont know if its worth it, since I can afford something better.

And since I'll still use the E7 as a DAC, I wonder if it will be better if I get a dedicated DAC instead of an amp, or both together.

My music taste, is basically rock, indie rock, a little metal, blues and jazz. What do you guys think?

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 23
Oct 17, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 23
Schiit Valhalla

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 23
I've heard of them too, but I wonder if they still good with the 600Ohm model.

Crack's are very good with an 880/600. OTL tube amps are great with the high impedance beyers. $319 with the Speedball upgrade. Of course, its DIY so you will need some tools and 7-8 hours free time.

Zombie_X discusses amping the beyers:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more#post_6938761

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 23
The ldmkiii is worth it (of course it's the only tubes ive heard :D) but it seriously sounds really great and build quality is good. But I been wanting to try a schiit product since a lot of people are so high on them.

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
I've heard of them too, but I wonder if they still good with the 600Ohm model.

A dedicated DAC would improve the sound, in a way that the E7 would be dispensable?

I'm using a stock bottlehead for the DT880 and extremely happy with it.  Had the LD3 before but the crack drives it with more power and with more to give should you demand for it.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Schiit Valhalla

I read the Headphonia review, and Mike said that the amp, which made the sound more smoother and warmer, was the Asgard, that is what I'm looking for, but my question is: There will be enough power?

I think I'll stay away of the bottlehead because its  DIY, and I've no experience with solder

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:

I read the Headphonia review, and Mike said that the amp, which made the sound more smoother and warmer, was the Asgard, that is what I'm looking for, but my question is: There will be enough power?

I think I'll stay away of the bottlehead because its  DIY, and I've no experience with solder

I don't solder too.  They assembled it for me at bottlehead.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 23
They assembled it and send to you by mail if you ask? Or you have to go there?

Additional $150 for them to assemble it and mail it to you. You could find probably find someone on head-fi to assemble one for less.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 23
Just got my DT880/600s on Saturday, and am in the process of listening to them on a Schiit Vahalla.  The phones have about 25 hours on them, so they're hardly burned-in, and the amp has maybe 50 hours on it.  But the combo sounds extremely musical IMHO.  Now, I would still like to hear what another tube amp or even a "dark-sounding" solid state would do for the 880s.  But I have to admit that heard in isolation, I can find relatively little wrong with this combination. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 23
Keep in mind that at Headfonia he used the following headphones to reviews the Schiits:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, HD598, Hifiman HE-6, HE-500, Sony MDR V-700, Audio Technica M-50, JH5Pro.

I've become a big believer in synergy in recent weeks. I'd research long and hard before choosing a SS amp over an OTL for these cans.

Just got my DT880/600s on Saturday, and am in the process of listening to them on a Schiit Vahalla.  The phones have about 25 hours on them, so they're hardly burned-in, and the amp has maybe 50 hours on it.  But the combo sounds extremely musical IMHO.  Now, I would still like to hear what another tube amp or even a "dark-sounding" solid state would do for the 880s.  But I have to admit that heard in isolation, I can find relatively little wrong with this combination. 

From the Schiit website:

"What about Valhalla?
Depends on what you’re looking for. Do you like classic triode tube sound? Are you okay with replacing tubes every 5000 hours or so? Do you have high-impedance headphones? Valhalla absolutely loves the Beyer 600 ohm and Senn 300 ohm headphones."

If another option hadn't recently presented itself to me I would have grabbed one of these guys. I was considering it quite seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back