DT880 (600ohm) - Integrated Amp / AV receiver / dac-amp
Aug 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sp1key

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've spend a few days going through old threads on this forum and got a lot of useful information.
There are a lot of threads on dac/amp for dt880 (600 ohm) so I would not repeat and go into this but instead would like some advice on integrated amp.

I understand a dac+amp would be the best setup for this headphone. I'm thinking I might want to add a 5.1 speaker system so the option of using an Integrated amp or AV receiver could eventually save some money in the future while still bringing enough out of the 600 ohm headphone.

1. I believe a AV receiver with a budget of $1200 won't be sufficient for this headphone.
Am I correct? Otherwise feel free to recommend some AV receiver which are capable.

2. From my understanding, if I get an integrated amp. I would only need to buy an AV receiver along with the speakers of course and I can link it to the integrated amp and have compliment each other?

3. Would an integrated amp be sufficient to power this headphone? eg. Marantz PM6004 stereo integrated amp, Onkyo, Cambridge etc
I know there are a lot of brands out there for integrated amp and would research into it if this is a workable path.
Or any other integrated amp recommendation?

Thanks and looking forward to any advice.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Receivers seem to come with decent DACs, but not super great DACs, maybe if you sent $1000 for a receiver?

A/V receivers seem to be good at driving high Ohm headphones, when headphones are plugged into a receiver, the amplifiers that normally drives the speakers are diverted to driving the headphones.
So lots of voltage there.

My Yamaha RX-V671 receiver can drive 600-Ohm headphones, the receiver is $360 plus shipping a Electronics Expo, need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
I like Yamahas because they all seem to come with Silent Cinema, which is Yamaha's headphone surround sound technology.

Klipsch HD500 5.1 speakers are on sale at Newegg for $220.

So for just a little over $600, you would be set.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi purpleangel, thanks for the information.
It's good to know that a AV receiver is good enough to drive such a headphone so in this case, theres no need for me to splurge extra on a seperate integrated amp.
I'll have to check out that yamaha for sure.

I'm wondering if the difference in sounds quality would be big between running a dac/amp compared to av receiver?

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Hi purpleangel, thanks for the information.
It's good to know that a AV receiver is good enough to drive such a headphone so in this case, there's no need for me to splurge extra on a separate integrated amp.
I'll have to check out that Yamaha for sure.

I'm wondering if the difference in sounds quality would be big between running a dac/amp compared to av receiver?

For enough cash ($150), you can find a better DAC then what comes inside the RX-V671.
I'm sure a dedicated Little Dot MKIII ($255) headphone amplifier would do a better job of driving the headphones.
What source(s) are you using for audio?

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 12
High Ω headphones are a blessing for CDP's and receivers, which generally have high Ω outputs of 120Ω or so, and have trouble driving phones lower than that because of impedance swings. 600Ω phones might swing down to close to 100Ω from time to time, but probably not enough to be audible or force big errors. Generally, with DT880 600Ω, all you need is voltage to get top quality sound. As long as you can hear it and the output Ω is lower than 120Ω or about that, you're set. 

A lot of others will probably chime in that you need $$$ amps to make them sound good. Don't go there. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Hi,
I've spend a few days going through old threads on this forum and got a lot of useful information.
There are a lot of threads on dac/amp for dt880 (600 ohm) so I would not repeat and go into this but instead would like some advice on integrated amp.

I understand a dac+amp would be the best setup for this headphone. I'm thinking I might want to add a 5.1 speaker system so the option of using an Integrated amp or AV receiver could eventually save some money in the future while still bringing enough out of the 600 ohm headphone.

1. I believe a AV receiver with a budget of $1200 won't be sufficient for this headphone.
Am I correct? Otherwise feel free to recommend some AV receiver which are capable.

2. From my understanding, if I get an integrated amp. I would only need to buy an AV receiver along with the speakers of course and I can link it to the integrated amp and have compliment each other?

3. Would an integrated amp be sufficient to power this headphone? eg. Marantz PM6004 stereo integrated amp, Onkyo, Cambridge etc
I know there are a lot of brands out there for integrated amp and would research into it if this is a workable path.
Or any other integrated amp recommendation?

Thanks and looking forward to any advice.

Yes, absolutely any of the integrated amplifiers or receivers on the market, even the cheapest ones, will have more than enough power to run the DT880's to their full potential, as well as any high impedance headphones. I'm using the Onkyo A-5VL and never have to go past 60% on the volume knob, and its still much louder than with any headphone amp I ever tried, while not losing on sound quality, not distorting, etc.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Heya,

I've run 600ohm Beyers from several of my AV receivers, all of which are under $500, and it sounded great and fine. I also have run them from my Bifrost & Lyr. And other DAC/AMP combos. AV receivers run them just fine. You do not need anything crazy or expensive. So get yourself a nice AV receiver that will do what you need for a speaker setup, and you're set for your Beyers too. I'm a big fan of the Pioneer VSX-1121. Try and get a used one for a good discount. It has two sub outputs, and all the 7.1 channel outputs have banana plug option so you're not fooling with wires all the time. 110 watts per channel rated, and it's a 7.2 receiver. Great for home audio, and it is wonderful with headphones too.

Very best,

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Heya,

I've run 600ohm Beyers from several of my AV receivers, all of which are under $500, and it sounded great and fine. I also have run them from my Bifrost & Lyr. And other DAC/AMP combos. AV receivers run them just fine. You do not need anything crazy or expensive. So get yourself a nice AV receiver that will do what you need for a speaker setup, and you're set for your Beyers too. I'm a big fan of the Pioneer VSX-1121. Try and get a used one for a good discount. It has two sub outputs, and all the 7.1 channel outputs have banana plug option so you're not fooling with wires all the time. 110 watts per channel rated, and it's a 7.1 receiver. Great for home audio, and it is wonderful with headphones too.

Very best,

Yamaha RX-V671 is going for $385, with free shipping.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Heya,

That has only 1 sub-output, and is only 90 watts per channel. The VSX-1121 used from Amazon's warehouse is $398, has 2 sub-outputs, and is 110 watts per channel.

Very best,

The used VSX-1221 ($398) is only covered under a 30 return policy.
The RX-V671 ($385) is new and covered with a two year warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back