DT 990 Pro 250ohm vs K702 65th Anniversary vs Fischer Audio FA-003Ti
Dec 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

apav

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a DT 990 Pro, looking to finally get a second pair of headphones and can't decide between the AKG and the Fischer Audio. (I'm only a budding audiophile so I don't fully understand comparisons using sound terminology quite yet, but I do get the understanding of what they are talking about.) Personally I'm leaning towards the Fischer Audio FA-003Ti because it is closed back and I'd rather my second pair be closed and low impedence so I can use it on the go (so I don't have to use an amp). But if the AKG or an open pair is leaps and bounds better for my tastes then I'd rather get that and buy some IEMS for on the go.

I have a Sound Blaster ZXR sound card, and I will have an amp and DAC soon, probably will be the CEntrance DACmini CX Amp/DAC. If there's anything I'm looking for in particular, it's to be low impedence so it can be driven by most devices, and to sound different from my DT 990 so I have variety. I also would want something that will sound good for multiple purposes like games, movies and music (classics, orchestral, classic rock, 80's, rock, alternative, metal, and many types of EDM are the genres I listen to most). I know this isn't the forum to ask, but if you have any other recommendations you'd like to offer, please do, I'm open.

Thank you!

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi apav,

Among a few headphones types that I own, one is a pair of AKG Reference K701 "White" Cans, AKG webpage states at  http://iurl.no/3su39 there AKG show that they are 62 Ohms with a Max input of 200 mili-Watts at 105dB SVL/V.  This is similar to the K702 Pro version http://www.akg.com/pro/p/k702. 
I would say from my experience that the K701 Ref are easily driven. I drive them with a few different headphone amps some with DAC inputs some without and X-CAN V8 which is a Tube-type and couple of other battery powered Transistor/Op-Amp Headphone Amps. Amazon has quite a few reviews with many positives outlooks for both. In doing this research I found the Amazon's pricing for the K702 Pros (65th edition not referenced in the Pro section specs anymore) to be approximately 150.00 US more than the K701 Ref type I have. I enjoy my K701s for all types of music, but I am not a gamer so no comment on that.

Not sure about the other Fischer Audio FA-003Ti, http://iurl.no/6o469, Amazon has only a three reviews all positive to date. Maybe someone can speak for this set of cans.

Cheers and happy headphone hunting,
bcharusa
@BJC7

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 8
I have both FA and dt990 pros and love them both.
they compliment each other.
FA is flat but respond to eq a lot I use it with cowons bbe viva 2 they turn to basshead cans with thunderous bass.
FA are easier to drive.
If you are into fun sound then go for FA as you can turn them into whatever you want via eq.
akg are analytical.
so choice is yours.
I love FA and beyers

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 8
 I am not familiar with the beyer headphones. But I have had a pair of akg 701s since 2009 . Of the three headphones that I own the grado rs1i, the audeze lcd2 v2 and the akg 701 my best overall headphone is the k701. I know a lot of people would question my preference for the k701 over the lcd2 but in my experience with several headphone amps I find that if I want to hear what the actual recordings sound like the k701 is the best suited for revealing the actual sound. It is the most neutral  sounding headphone of the three. A lot of people do not like the 701s because of its warts an all sound quality but if you want to hear a pretty honest  reproduction of the original recording the akg is a good choice.
  The lcd2 is a nice sounding headphone that rarely if ever sounds strident but it is definitely not as analytical as the akg . At least for me I prefer the more revealing nature of the akg, If the recording is a good one the akg can sound very realistic with a lot more ambience than the lcd 2.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 8
1) Sorry I am german speaking :wink:

2) You are talking of two very good Headphones, but they life in an other world. Very, very open against closed.  Please understand, that a AKG is so open, that the hearing is like you have no headphones on your head :wink:   Using the AKG means, that it is you, the music and everything in the room, the street, ...  the Fischer-Audio is a very good sealed headphone so it is you and the music.  So it depends on the room you are hearing! < this is much more importuned than anything else!

With the AKG it depends all on the amplification, with a really good amp you will have a bass and a very wide stereo image. The amp must control the AKG, then it is great, and the most all-around headphone. (Maybe a Meier Audio Corda Jazz?)
The Fischer-Audio will sound good under the must amps, but never so good as the AKG with a good amp. 

How ever you decide, you have to learn to hear the AKG!  First you will hear no bass, after one, two weeks you will hear it, and it is a great bass, but completely different from our "modern" boom hearing.  For example: A cello has very deep tones, the AKG will reproduce them, but without any "boom", it is like you are sitting in a concert room. 

You may also consider a Beyerdynamic T90 – for your music choice and gaming (!) this might be the better choice. I know it is much more expensive, but you will have it for 10 years, and there is no need to upgrade for the next 10 years :wink:

Once again: Sorry for my very special english!

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 8
 I am not familiar with the beyer headphones. But I have had a pair of akg 701s since 2009 . Of the three headphones that I own the grado rs1i, the audeze lcd2 v2 and the akg 701 my best overall headphone is the k701. I know a lot of people would question my preference for the k701 over the lcd2 but in my experience with several headphone amps I find that if I want to hear what the actual recordings sound like the k701 is the best suited for revealing the actual sound. It is the most neutral  sounding headphone of the three. A lot of people do not like the 701s because of its warts an all sound quality but if you want to hear a pretty honest  reproduction of the original recording the akg is a good choice.
  The lcd2 is a nice sounding headphone that rarely if ever sounds strident but it is definitely not as analytical as the akg . At least for me I prefer the more revealing nature of the akg, If the recording is a good one the akg can sound very realistic with a lot more ambience than the lcd 2.

I fully agree if one wants analytical sound then akg is the way to go but if fun sound is preference then beyers are kings in that price range.
Fischer audio are also dead flat headphones and sound great and their response to eq makes them versatile and the benefits of a closed back cans are also there.
FA are very spacious sounding cans and I do enjoy them a lot but they are damn big :D

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Buying the Beyer DT990 Pro's based on what you've said, i've got a good soundcard with built in Wolfson DAC and AMP so it should be enough to get the best out of them, the AKG's are only £5 more on Amazon but from what I've heard about their switching to China for production has put me off, that and I don't listen to music analytically I just want to sit back and enjoy. I also game a fair bit and from what I have read the Beyer's are a more dynamic set of cans. Thanks for all the insight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back