DT 880 vs HD 598 vs ...?
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

auvgeek

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure everyone's sick of these typical "Which headphones for me?" threads, but I'm a unique snowflake so I need my own thread. 
wink.gif
I'm certainly no audiophile, but I've done some research and could still use a little help. [Edit: Changed this post a bit to be a bit more about how these phones compare as opposed to which phones I should purchase. Found the right forum for the other question.]

My priorities (descending order): sound quality, comfort & durability (tie), noise isolation, portability. I want these for sitting at my desk (in my office) and listening to music while working, often for 10+ hours/day. So comfort is a priority. I mainly listen to alternative/indie/folk style rock (The National, Modest Mouse, Bob Dylan, etc) and classical (Rachmaninov, Chopin, Mozart, etc). Vocal clarity is important (if that's a thing; there's probably a technical term). I'm listening on a 2012 Macbook Pro playing mp3s from iTunes and such, so nothing fancy on that side.

Budget: total cost under $300; prefer closer to $200.

The top contenders are:

DT880 Pro for $210.
HD598 for $181.
HD600 for $299 (used).

Are there any other cans I should be looking into?

I've read that the DT880 Pro has good resolution and is very "neutral," while the HD598 is smooth with a big soundstage, i.e., it's good for background listening. Not sure what to think about those descriptions...perhaps I need to try to find a store where I can try them both out? Even still, I don't exactly know if that would provide a fair comparison of which one I'd prefer in the long run. Any other thoughts/comparisons between the these cans for the kind of music I like?

The cheaper price of the DT990 and DT770 are nice. Thoughts on the quality of these two cans compared to the DT880? Is it worth the extra $$ for the DT880?

Thoughts and feedback are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 5
  I'm sure everyone's sick of these typical "Which headphones for me?" threads, but I'm a unique snowflake so I need my own thread. 
wink.gif
I'm certainly no audiophile, but I've done some research and could still use a little help.
My Bose QC15s (gift from my parents) died recently, so it's time to buy something with better sound quality. I'm a grad student with a quiet office so portability and noise isolation are of lower importance than sound quality. I want these for sitting at my desk and listening to music while studying/researching, often for 10+ hours/day. So comfort is a priority. I mainly listen to alternative/indie/folk style rock (The National, Modest Mouse, Bob Dylan, etc) and classical (Rachmaninov, Chopin, Mozart, etc). Vocal clarity is important (if that's a thing; there's probably a technical term). I'm listening on a 2012 Macbook Pro playing mp3s from iTunes and such, so nothing fancy on that side. Durability is also important: my pair of Bose lasted 5+ years and I took them everywhere so I'm hoping these will exceed that since they'll basically just live at my desk. So my priorities in descending order: sound quality, comfort & durability (tie), noise isolation, portability.
Budget: total cost under $300; prefer closer to $200. I'm looking mainly at the 250 ohm versions—open to purchasing an amp if necessary (though I'd need recommendations on those, too). Willing to go up to 600 ohms and buy a serious amp if that provides a significant advantage, but it seems like the gains are marginal.
As the title states, the top contenders are:
DT880 Pro for $220.
HD598 for $181.
Yamaha MT-220 for $250.
DT 770 Pro for $151.
DT 990 Pro for $155.
Are there any other cans I should be looking into?
I've read that the DT880 Pro has good resolution and is very "neutral," while the HD598 is smooth with a big sound stage, i.e., it's good for background listening. Not sure what to think about those descriptions...perhaps I need to try to find a store where I can try them both out? Even still, I don't exactly know if that would provide a fair comparison of which one I'd prefer in the long run.
The Yamaha MT-220 was mentioned in another thread as a great, underrated headphone, but it seems better for gaming and portability, neither of which are high on my priority list.
The cheaper price of the DT990 and DT770 are nice. The closed back of the DT770 would mean I could take them to the library if I was so inclined. Thoughts on the quality of these two cans compared to the DT880 for my intended use described above? Is it worth the extra $$ for the DT880?
Thoughts and feedback are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $200
FiiO E10K USB DAC/Amp, $75
Technically your Macbook would have no problem driving the 40-Ohm AD900X headphones, but the E10K might do it a little better.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $200
FiiO E10K USB DAC/Amp, $75
Technically your Macbook would have no problem driving the 40-Ohm AD900X headphones, but the E10K might do it a little better.

Thanks for the quick response! Care to comment on why you prefer those headphones over the DT880 (or any of the ones I listed)? Personal preference?

Read good things about the E10 DAC/amp. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 5
I own both the DT880 and HD598. I feel that the DT880 are in most ways superior. The sound is more refined, their bass response is qualitatively (much) better and they are clearer. There is also a definite excitement and liveliness to the sound in comparison to the Sennheiser. However, the 598 has a warmer sound, with a very noticeable mid bass hump. It also has a 'safer' treble and is all in all a little less likely to offend a listener than the DT880.

They are both excellent headphones though, and they rival each other in terms of comfort and value for money. If you don't particularly care for hard hitting bass, it's hard to be disappointed by either.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks for the quick response! Care to comment on why you prefer those headphones over the DT880 (or any of the ones I listed)? Personal preference?

Read good things about the E10 DAC/amp. Thanks for the suggestion.

The AD900X is amplifier optional (so it's a cost thing), I own the A900Xs and they are nice musical headphones.
My DT880 are usually plugged into my Yamaha receiver for Blu-ray movies and AT&T TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back