DT-880 vs. CD3000
Feb 17, 2003 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Disclaimer:
****My ears are 54(soon to be 55) years old, so PLEASE take this into account when reading this, as all these impressions are based on what those 54 year old ears hear.****

OK, this will be brief........gotta get back to shoveling TWO FEET of snow! Geeeez!
In A/B comparisons between these two excellent headphones, using Sony C333ES with RKV (CD3000s plugged into the Impedanzer), this is what I'm hearing so far, with the Beyers not broken in yet.
The Beyers are definitely more detailed, but not as silky smooth as the Sonys, particularly throughout the upper midrange. They hide nothing.......all is revealed. The DT-880s also give a more upfront presentation.......close to a Grado sound, with a much wider soundstage. As Greg pointed out, sibilance can rear its ugly head with the DT-880s..........I've never heard it on the CD3000s. Perhaps this upfront presentation, detailed sound, and occasional sibilance can be laid at the doorstep of the 5 kHz peak that Greg found? Sounds logical.
But, as Greg also stated, I believe the sibilance is source dependent, as it only appeared occasionally on certain cuts, and NEVER on the vinyl copy.
My first impression was that the DT-880 soundstage was much larger than the CD3000. Upon further listening, I found them to be extremely close, with the nod going to the Beyers.......at times. Other times I found the Sonys to have the larger stage. The ambience of the recording studio and the decay of sounds is captured with more authority by the Sonys. Yet, at times, I hear the instruments extending further out from left to right with the Beyers. This soundstage thing is just too close to call.
Oh yeah.....I don't know where the idea that these were "semi-closed" came from. They sound pretty damned open to me. My wife is constantly giving me the dreaded, "Turn it down!" I never hear that with the CD3000s.
My listening consisted of some Simon and Garfunkel, the new Johnny Cash, and some early Arlo Guthrie that I copied from vinyl.
I focused mainly on the vocals and the guitars.
Cash's voice had more depth with the Sonys, but more detail with the Beyers. I could hear his lips smacking, and the quiver in his ancient voice was incredible. The Sonys tended to gloss this over ever so slightly, and he seemed to step back a few feet on the stage.
Guitars sounded fantastic on both, but they sounded particularly realistic on the Beyers. Cymbals also sounded more metallic on the Beyers. The Sonys seemed to miss that last bit of sparkle.
As I get time, I'll try and add to this. Any comments are more than welcome. Thanks for reading.
Back to shoveling! At least I get to listen in peace out there.......no "Turn it down!"
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 128
First wallijonn, now you: the DT 880 seems to really be worth consideration. Do you think it is a headphone for someone two years younger?

Feb 17, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
First wallijonn, now you: the DT 880 seems to really be worth consideration. Do you think it is a headphone for someone two years younger?

Definitely not.................you're too young.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 128
Joe,

keep the impressions coming.
biggrin.gif

how about you put on some female vocals? and pianos, clarinets, flutes, triangles, trombones, drums and snares?

thanks for re-affirming that the CD3000 does male vocals better. I'm surprised with the cymbal sound. cymbals can go all the way up to 15KHz, so I'm surprised that the CD3000 didn't walk away with it completely. Good choices on the male vocals. How about some Garth Brooks (like Wrapped Up in You, Big Money, Two of a Kind, (Workin' on a Full House), etc.)

grado sound? i'm hurt.

the "semi-colsed" "thing" came from the Beyer site ad.

got any Minnie Rippleton, Mariah Carey, Lee Ann Rimes, Ella Fitzgerald, Patsy Cline in your collection? How about some Big Band, Swing, Bluegrass?

Do you consider the DT880 in the CD3000 / W1000 / HD600 class?

Feb 17, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Joe,

keep the impressions coming.
biggrin.gif

how about you put on some female vocals? and pianos, clarinets, flutes, triangles, trombones, drums and snares?

thanks for re-affirming that the CD3000 does male vocals better. I'm surprised with the cymbal sound. cymbals can go all the way up to 15KHz, so I'm surprised that the CD3000 didn't walk away with it completely. Good choices on the male vocals. How about some Garth Brooks (like Wrapped Up in You, Big Money, Two of a Kind, (Workin' on a Full House), etc.)

grado sound? i'm hurt.

the "semi-colsed" "thing" came from the Beyer site ad.

got any Minnie Rippleton, Mariah Carey, Lee Ann Rimes, Ella Fitzgerald, Patsy Cline in your collection? How about some Big Band, Swing, Bluegrass?

Do you consider the DT880 in the CD3000 / W1000 / HD600 class?

Cymbals may go all the way to 15kHz.....but at my advanced age, my ears might not.
biggrin.gif

As far as my comment regarding the Grado sound, dont be hurt, I was referring simply to the presentation.....more forward......not the sound per se. Sorry for being unclear on that.
No Garth Brooks, but ZI do have a lot of Ella, which I'll listen to tonight. And maybe some Norah Jones as well.
One other thing I noticed was that bass of the Sonys is more present and seems to go lower. The Beyers have nice, defined bass, but it doesn't sound as deep.
And yes, to my ears, the DT-880s are definitely in the same class as the HD600/CD3000. Haven't heard the W1000.........yet. Although I was not impressed with a brief listen of the W2002. I felt they had a somewhat strange sound character, and I couldn't figure out what it was.
I'll keep the impressions coming.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 128
Any opinion on how these new babies, will perform with Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, etc...Something that really shake them, not just polite music, as NAM, Folk, pop, etc... no offense on that, but we have a lot of options for that kind.....I would like to know if I will have another option to compare with the CD3000 in that aspect.....
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe is the next, who knows!!!

Feb 18, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
got "Shiny Disco Ball"? or trance / eurodance / fusion / techno ?

Geez.....don't forget my age!
Sorry, I have over 1000 LPs and 1000 CDs......and none of that stuff. And Sovkiller, the hardest rock I have would be the Rolling Stones. No heavy metal.
I just listened to Norah Jones. I think what it comes down to between these two excellent headphones is simply a matter of preference. Her voice on the Beyers is extremely detailed with an emphasis on the upper register. Her voice on the CD3000s is a bit huskier. Since I've never heard her "live, " I have no idea which one is more accurate. I like them both.
The more detailed sound of the Beyers is also more evident in the squeak of the strings......they are rather subdued on the Sonys, but very "squeaky" on the Beyers.
More later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Geez.....don't forget my age!
Sorry, I have over 1000 LPs and 1000 CDs......and none of that stuff.
I just listened to Norah Jones. I think what it comes down to between these two excellent headphones is simply a matter of preference. Her voice on the Beyers is extremely detailed with an emphasis on the upper register. Her voice on the CD3000s is a bit huskier. Since I've never heard her "live, " I have no idea which one is more accurate. I like them both.
The more detailed sound of the Beyers is also more evident in the squeak of the strings......they are rather subdued on the Sonys, but very "squeaky" on the Beyers.
More later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe the Beyer accentuate just this uppermids range of freq a little more, I'm thinking in trying them now......**** we never finished here!!!
And remember that even when having heard her live, you have to consider the quality of the recording itself also, sometimes the recordings are not so "accurate" neither, especially the old recordings, the mics and recording technics have improve a lot since then......

Well at least let me know whith Pink Floyd, this is not so hard for you right???

Feb 18, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 128
Quote:

Well at least let me know whith Pink Floyd, this is not so hard for you right???

Sorry.....my son has all of those in Massachusetts.
frown.gif

I think you're right, Sov. There is definitely an emphasis on the upper mids, hence the "details."
You want me to test them with Bing Crosby? I got a lot of him.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 128
Quote:

Quote:

They hide nothing.......all is revealed. The DT-880s also give a more upfront presentation

Quote:

Cash's voice had more depth with the Sonys, but more detail with the Beyers. I could hear his lips smacking, and the quiver in his ancient voice was incredible. The Sonys tended to gloss this over ever so slightly,

Quote:

Cymbals also sounded more metallic on the Beyers. The Sonys seemed to miss that last bit of sparkle.

Wow... So the Beyer DT880s are bright, apparently very bright! So I guess the Beyers are not exactly the best headphones for those who find the CD3K overly bright with "hyped up" detail and treble!

Mark

Feb 18, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 128
Markl,
biggrin.gif

I'm a new adopter of the CD3000, and I really really like them. IMO, the best headphone I have.

Feb 18, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Sorry.....my son has all of those in Massachusetts.
frown.gif

I think you're right, Sov. There is definitely an emphasis on the upper mids, hence the "details."
You want me to test them with Bing Crosby? I got a lot of him.
biggrin.gif

Hey, hey!!!.....I know that guy, my father had his christmas album, about 20 years ago, wonderful voice, but honestly I preffer Jim Morrison....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 128
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Wow... So the Beyer DT880s are bright, apparently very bright! So I guess the Beyers are not exactly the best headphones for those who find the CD3K overly bright with "hyped up" detail and treble!

Mark

Well, Mark, I guess you could characterize the Beyers as "slightly bright," not "very", though. I would say they are "very detailed." Now the DT831s are another story.......they are "VERY" BRIGHT! Compared to them, the DT-880s are rather dark.
And this should prove once and for all.....with the proper amplification, the CD3000s are NOT bright.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sovkiller, it's sad that more people aren't aware of Bing Crosby's contributions to jazz. Along with Louis Armstrong, he revolutionized jazz vocals. Really an incredible voice.......and he could swing, too.
And I do happen to have some Jim Morrison around......I'll give him a spin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 128
Quote:

I'm a new adopter of the CD3000, and I really really like them. IMO, the best headphone I have.

I agree, CD3000 is so comforable (5 out of 5) and it provides BASS (5 out of 5). The bass that other headphone can not given.

Other headphone include <= W2002, ety 4p, Sony V6, Senn HD600, Grado SR325 and R2.

for me, Sony CD3000 is the overall best buy. Ety 4p come very close in sound quailty, however, I don't like its in-ear thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back