DT-880 600ohm vs Mad Dog
Jan 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PurpleCow

Head-Fier
So I've narrows down my selection to these to beauties. Now I know one is clos and the other is open; I listen to all kinds of music, but if I were to choose which type of genre I listen to more it would probably be indie/alternative. My budget is 300 dollars so both of these headphones are within my budget. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
So I've narrows down my selection to these to beauties. Now I know one is clos and the other is open; I listen to all kinds of music, but if I were to choose which type of genre I listen to more it would probably be indie/alternative. My budget is 300 dollars so both of these headphones are within my budget. 

What are you using as an amp/dac? Both of these need a decent amp. The mad dogs would probably work the best without one, but sound way better with lots of current. 

my pick would be mad dogs

cheers

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 15
The Mad Dogs sound brilliant when amped properly. An arrow will do the job decently, but a stronger amp will bring on the thunder in the bass department.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
so what would you guys recommend a good amp under 200 for the Mad Dogs?

Well for a desktop amp the new schiit Magni is only 99 bucks and offers a hell of a lot for the price. Have not heard the amp myself but I do love my other schiit amp. 

I also say Mad Dogs. I love mine to death. Best soundstage I have heard in a pair of closed headphones IMO. They have just enough bass that I don't feel they are bass light, but if you like bass you may need to EQ them just slightly. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
so the consensus is the Mad Dogs over DT-880s...well what would trump the Mad Dogs in the same price range?

You said you had narrowed it to the mad dogs and the 880's, just go with the mad dogs if that is your preference. You will be here forever thinking about what you want if you don't pull the trigger, no second guessing 
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 15
Never heard Mad Dogs (well, only barking at night), but I doubt there are any phones under $300 to beat the DT880 in terms of lack of colouration and sheer balance of qualities like good bass, extended treble, good detail etc. It's a very well balanced phone and a very safe choice, with the one proviso that you may--repeat, may--need to damp the treble a little, either with EQ (or tone controls) or by using a slightly mid-centric amp (I use NAD). Once you've got the treble right, I personally don't think there's a phone to touch them under $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back