DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #436 of 767
We're waiting on updates from Qualcomm, we had LL working as mentioned but we can't do much about Qualcomm pulling support to revise and roll out new updates.

Once Qualcomm delivers new libraries we should be able to update the firmware and restore functionality for whatever they decide to use as their low latency standard.

Sounds very much like Qualcomm being Qualcomm...

Fortunately I could not care less as long as AAC is supported. Should I really feel the need for better sound quality I can always simply use it wired... stressing limited Bluetooth bandwidth so that the connection becomes unstable in the presence of other Bluetooth things makes for a not very convincing mobile use case I think. Wireless helps me most on the go or in the office, i.e. when I’m not the only one within 10m.

AAC covers the middle ground for me, keeping sound quality at a good level and connections stable. Given that it’s always about compromises, I‘d prefer lower energy use over support for more bandwidth in upcoming Bluetooth versions...

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #437 of 767
Sounds very much like Qualcomm being Qualcomm...

Fortunately I could not care less as long as AAC is supported. Should I really feel the need for better sound quality I can always simply use it wired... stressing limited Bluetooth bandwidth so that the connection becomes unstable in the presence of other Bluetooth things makes for a not very convincing mobile use case I think. Wireless helps me most on the go or in the office, i.e. when I’m not the only one within 10m.

AAC covers the middle ground for me, keeping sound quality at a good level and connections stable. Given that it’s always about compromises, I‘d prefer lower energy use over support for more bandwidth in upcoming Bluetooth versions...

Not sure if you're speaking broadly, or about our products, but good news, Low Energy is a big focus for the next gen of BT. Believe it's called LE, but it'll enable more cool things in the IOT and TWS world (doesn't do much for quality or interference afaik).

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #438 of 767
We're waiting on updates from Qualcomm, we had LL working as mentioned but we can't do much about Qualcomm pulling support to revise and roll out new updates.

Once Qualcomm delivers new libraries we should be able to update the firmware and restore functionality for whatever they decide to use as their low latency standard.
I have my order ship date being July 29. If Qualcomm make a decision before then, the headphone will get update firmware from the factory right? If the update only drops (pun intended) after shipping, where will the new firmware be made available and how I would go about updating it myself? Cheers!

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #439 of 767
I have my order ship date being July 29. If Qualcomm make a decision before then, the headphone will get update firmware from the factory right? If the update only drops (pun intended) after shipping, where will the new firmware be made available and how I would go about updating it myself? Cheers!

Firmware updates will be available via forthcoming EQ app, hopefully done by July but I can't control Qualcomm

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #440 of 767
Not sure if you're speaking broadly, or about our products, but good news, Low Energy is a big focus for the next gen of BT. Believe it's called LE, but it'll enable more cool things in the IOT and TWS world (doesn't do much for quality or interference afaik).

I was in part talking about you products, for which I'm sorry that Qualcomm is giving you troubles, but which nevertheless fulfills my personal needs since I prefer AAC anyway. I'm sure you're doing your best to satisfy a target audience that is inherently hard to satisfy: always calling for the latest thing... To me at least a competent Bluetooth implementation (which I define as "supporting AAC" and giving decent battery life) plus a correct acoustic tuning without the need for active electronic components to sound best is exactly what I'm looking for. I do enjoy the freedom of wireless, but I also value a headphone that can still be used to its full potential with a wired connection when the battery is dead.

The other part about future development was meant more as generic preferences about where Bluetooth might be heading. Which will feed back into future products I guess.

Anyway, even with buying a complete development the addition of the wireless option is quite an achievement, and an interesting step forward for Drop. Just keep your focus, and do say No from time to time :wink: Really looking forward to my unit, which is scheduled for shipment at the end of July. And yes, a representation within the EU would definitely help me.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #441 of 767
They are out in the wild, we should be hearing more about these soon. Mine arrived today - initial impressions:beyersmile:!!! Happy pairing with my good old V30. I have a few other devices to try. Build quality looks great, packaging was fantastic. I can't compare to many BT cans because these were the ones I waited on to venture into BT. I am very impressed with the sound quality. Very happy I joined that campaign.

Panda THX paired with A&K SR25 - oh yeah!

Congrats and a big thank you to Drop. Everyone involved in the process of bringing the Drop + THX Panda to our homes. You all hit this one out of the park. What a fantastic example of what community driven development can achieve.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #442 of 767
Drop + THX Lyr 3 Panda - add a little dose of Loki to bring it all together. Color me impressed, nah let's just jump to blown away. I have been in search for a great portable Planar for some time (that doesn't break the bank). Full sized cans seemed somewhat a gamble - can my DAP drive them to the full potential? Hmmm, just get one of the most powerful DAP's I can find - Kann Cube. Now for my portable Planar needs I really wanted close backed so as to not project to the masses an annoying headbanger in their midst.

Sometimes you have to wait for this specific requirement to come along, technology and all that. Closed back planars drivin to full potential with a DAP. Seems this really wasn't a thing. I understand, it seemed complicated to me as well. Then DC Audio (Big Sound uncompromised Portabilty) Aeon 2c became a thing. Well... to my suprise or rather demise. pairing with the Kann Cube was horrid. My bad though I did not know enough about what I was doing, current, wattage, and all that. I assumed, most powerful DAP - big mistake in this hobby. Other DAPs I had sounded better with these headphones but none really unlocked the potential they had. Not a loss though as they were perfect for the Lyr 3. Quickly becoming my favorite Headphone/Amp combo.

An aside is called for here, A&K Kann Cube + Panda Wired awesome! Kann Cube BT Aptx HD not quite as good as wired. Which brings us to the Lyr 3 (power baby)!!!

The Drop + THX Panda is not just a great Portable BT Planar headphone. It is a superb wired headphone as well. Plug it into your favorite desktop amp and see for yourself. This is surely becoming the best purchase I have made in this hobby. Hands down the most versatile headphone I have ever had. BT in conjunction with various devices = great sound. Wired with several amps even more impressive at times.

My take on the Drop + THX Panda is that it was developed to be a great BT headphone and a phenomenal headphone all around. If, and this is impossible for me as well as many of us, If I had only one headphone. The Drop + THX Panda would be it.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #443 of 767
Is there another Panda thread somewhere or are there really that few people talking about these headphones on here?

I'm kinda surprised that we haven't gotten more reactions. I need something to tide me over til mine ship. 😁

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #444 of 767
Is there another Panda thread somewhere or are there really that few people talking about these headphones on here?

I'm kinda surprised that we haven't gotten more reactions. I need something to tide me over til mine ship. 😁

I was wondering about that too already... I can only guess the current owners are too busy listening.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #445 of 767
Still waiting for september to come. ^^
If it's a better PM-3, i know it'll sound as good as mentioned.

Keeping a slot for the Panda every time. :)

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #448 of 767
Just recieved mine about two weeks ago. Loving them so far. Very comfortable, and they sound great. Really enjoing them so far!
Completely agree - for me as well they are extremely comfortable and do sound pretty good other than being a bit too warm sounding. I fix that with a bit of EQ. Looking forward to the app that Drop has mentioned as I am hoping I can tune the sound a bit more precisely than I can with Wavelet.

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #449 of 767
Pretty sure it's almost like vaporware at this point otherwise you'd expect to see tons of reviews and 'look what I got in the mail today!' type posts. Instead, it's been near radio silence...

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #450 of 767
Pretty sure it's almost like vaporware at this point otherwise you'd expect to see tons of reviews and 'look what I got in the mail today!' type posts. Instead, it's been near radio silence...
What is vaporware? The Panda? Check out the reviews and threads on Drop. The first set of these were sent out early July. And they are pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back