Driving K701s:Which comes first, DAC or amp?
Oct 26, 2009 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

seraphjei

100+ Head-Fier
(Oh look another one of these threads, guess he didn't use the search function.) Yes, yes I know. There are a multitude of threads on this VERY subject, but I'd still like to hear straight from the community, and being able to make my own inquiries freely.

I'm going to replace my Aune since I've had quite a horrible experience with them, and going in favor of a standalone DAC, and hopefully purchasing a canamp sometime in the future to pair with my K701s.

I'm using my laptop as a source so the DAC becomes a necessity. So I got down to thinking. Maybe there is a DAC out there that delivers decent sound without destroying my wallet? As much as I would like to purchase a V-dac right now I just don't have the money.

For instance, is there an alternative DAC/amp combo to keep me content until I have enough money for a full set up, or is there a reasonable alternative which allows me to get a decent DAC, at a reasonable price, while still being able to buy the canamp, or another amp at the same time.

My budget is 400 dollars and even that is pushing it. I'm honestly looking at about 300-350.

Xcan V8 looks like a reasonable starting point as it has both a DAC, and a decent amp. But the cheapest I've seen it go for is $400. Boohoo~ My wallet...

I guess the question boils down to:What is the best setup for a starving college student who is trying to get optimal sound out of his K701s?

If only I had known this hobby would completely empty my wallet at the end of every month. If only...

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 16
Oct 26, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...re-amp-269458/
Prices range from 150-200 on ebay brand new.

I've audited a Zero that has belonged to a friend and it wasn't quite as impressive as I thought it would be. It's definitely better than the Aune, but it's comparable to it. Coupled together with build issues, and my Aune trauma. It's not the solution I'm looking for. Although at one point I did consider it.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 16
The new 09 model versions are revised. I haven't read into the full details, but it's improved immensely. Some even dare to compare it to a tube amp. It's all in that review link.

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 16
I don't have k701s but I had a similar dilemma around my vintage 600ohm DT990s and my K340s, I got a Canamp first, and even with a crappy el cheapo DAC which was a little better than the line out of my Macbook pro, I really enjoyed the difference. Then I saved up for a V-dac and I really enjoy the improvement that gives too. I can recommend waiting and saving for a DAC. I'm very stretched for money too, but it was worth the wait and the save.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 16
They both come together, and its a beautiful thing, brothers and sisters !
smily_headphones1.gif

Quite a few here recommend the Canamp with the 70*, but with a good DAC you are only going to be amplifying the inadequacies of your source. I auditioned the Heed from an entry-level NAD CD player, and I cant say I was impressed, but I believe that others have much better results from other sources.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 16
obviously the amp.
If you get a dedicated source you are going to need to have an amp coming out of it.
It would be stupid to get a source first because it would be unusable.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by seraphjei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the question boils down to:What is the best setup for a starving college student who is trying to get optimal sound out of his K701s?

Though I love the K701s, I think they are one of the worst headphones for starving students.
triportsad.gif
In my opinion, you don't get the K701 experience until you climb quite a few rungs up the audio chain. While I liked the headphones with low/mid-fi amps, you could always tell that they were being held back from how grrreat they can sound. I could tell there was potential in the K701, but the quality just wasn't there my entry level setup.

Have you considered switching cans at all? In my experience, a budget of $400 would be better spent on an amp and dac with different headphones. I found the combination of a $150 DAC and a $200 amp to be much more enjoyable on cans like the Beyer DT990 or Senn HD580 than on the K701. In that price range, I even prefered the Audio Technica AD700s over them. You simply miss out on the holographic soundstage, amazing smoothness, and ridiculous amounts of detail by improperly amping these headphones.

Unless you don't mind waiting and saving up a little more, switching cans would give you much more flexibility and superior sound quality, resulting in a better overall experience.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
obviously the amp.
If you get a dedicated source you are going to need to have an amp coming out of it.
It would be stupid to get a source first because it would be unusable.

Agree! My K701s sound very lean with any sources I have tried yet but have not been amp'd properly yet. I have a Audio-GD C-2C showing up from a fellow Headfi'r any day now that should solve that problem.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 16
I went amp first. I used the line out of my laptop and started tweaking the audio setup software. I had forgot I had an old tube DAC in line with my laserplayer (CAL Sigma II) so tried it and was pleasantly surprised at the increased sq.

So when the economy returns or I find a boon, I'll consider a DAC upgrade but til then, this ain't bad.

Short answer, amp first.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Always get the amp first. The headphones won't perform at all - no matter how good the source - if you are not amplifying it.

I've run a $10k turntable setup into a lousy amp and then into high-end headphones. That sounds like crap. A $29 DVD player into a good amp and good headphones sounds pretty damned good, though.

You can always make do with whatever source you have at hand. The value of sources is massively and disgustingly overstated here.

You need a good setup (though not ridiculously expensive) to get the best out of vinyl. A stable motor, arm, plinth, etc. etc. are important, contribute to the sound, and are not inexpensive.

Digital, on the other hand, sounds good even out of really cheap sources as long as you're not getting static or interference. Most of the "difference" between digital sources lies in the output voltage. The more output voltage the louder it is and the "better" it sounds. Level match digital sources and they become increasingly difficult to tell apart.

That's why I don't fuss much on digital sources. I mostly look for highly reliable units that will last for years.

So get a good amp. Buy the source of your choice later. You'll get more enjoyment from your headphones.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 16
It seems the large majority of people here is advising to purchase the amp now, and a dac later. Which is fine by me, as for the amp itself, I was thinking a used canamp is right up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back