Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Mar 14, 2007 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
didn't see anything on a quick search, so looks like i get the first laugh!

so yeah, a new Dream Theater album is due in June. Portnoy said it was going to be heavy and aggressive- so i'm going to guess Portnoy did a lot of writing, most of the heaviest songs come from him. i hope it's better than Octavarium, the only track i liked from that album was the title track.

opinions? predictions?

also, May is sandwiched in between a new Porcupine Tree and a new Dream Theater album. now all we need is an Opeth album there, to complete the holy trinity of modern prog!

speaking of that, did you guys hear about the Steven Wilson-Mikael Akerfeldt-Mike Portnoy collaboration? that's going to be out of this world, i predict. someone make a separate topic on that, if you please.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 6
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224058

wink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 6
It really shouldn't be all that hard for DT to put out an album better than Octavarium--by far my least favorite of their albums.
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really shouldn't be all that hard for DT to put out an album better than Octavarium--by far my least favorite of their albums.
wink.gif

Agreed. Octavarium is the only DT album I can think of that I can say it "has a couple of good songs", and not in a good way.

I would love something else along the same vein as TOT or SDoIT, but anything better than Octavarium would do just fine.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Indeed this spring (and early summer) will be one heck of a time for my taste in music. I cannot say the previous DT album was their best, but it did produce my favorite DT song, the title track. I LOVE that song. If they did something along the lines of Awake meets TOT, that would be killer.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm hoping that this one is more about interesting musical ideas and less about extended song structure with a lot of repeated riffs. After adding a real orchestra with Octavarium, I thought that they might settle down a bit and write some beautiful lighter-textured music. Especially since the amount of compression and hard-limiting on both Octavarium and John Petrucci's solo album was just unreal. Those albums were absolutely smashed.

I've been noticing a lot of bands releasing music that's strictly in-the-box as far as what we expect them to play. Predictable riffs, solos based around the same licks, generalized lyrics. This month has seen the releases of several great albums, so I'm hoping DT's new one is similarly blessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back