Dragonfly versus Leckerton UHA-6s mkii versus ODAC+O2 for sensitive IEM's
Dec 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

benjsu

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a (fairly) portable solution as a source for sensitive high-end IEM's. I know that these 3 devices are all slightly different in terms of portability (usb powered, battery powered, ac powered), but for now, I'm primarily interested in advice about sound quality. All 3 devices include a dac and an amp, and all three can receive audio via a USB... and these are the most important functional characteristics for me. Also, all three seem to have very low output impedances, which is important for my intended IEM usage.

So, I'll take whatever advice you guys can provide about sound quality. My two biggest criteria are detail/clarity/resolution and a low noise floor with IEM's.

If anyone can chime in, it would be much appreciated. :)

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a (fairly) portable solution as a source for sensitive high-end IEM's. I know that these 3 devices are all slightly different in terms of portability (usb powered, battery powered, ac powered), but for now, I'm primarily interested in advice about sound quality. All 3 devices include a dac and an amp, and all three can receive audio via a USB... and these are the most important functional characteristics for me. Also, all three seem to have very low output impedances, which is important for my intended IEM usage.
So, I'll take whatever advice you guys can provide about sound quality. My two biggest criteria are detail/clarity/resolution and a low noise floor with IEM's.
If anyone can chime in, it would be much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the MK-II ordered and recently received a tracking number so I'll comment when I can, but from what I've read they are dead silent with sensitive top tier IEM's.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Yep, the Leckerton sounds like a great option, especially since it's internally powered. My only concern is that some people have commented that the DAC sounds noticeably better via its toslink inputs. Since I'd be using it as USB DAC, I'm a bit concerned that the USB implementation isn't as robust. In particular, the Dragonfly seems better in that regard (asynchronous USB and 24 bit, higher resolution support... though I'll be primarily listening to 16/44 sources).

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Yep, the Leckerton sounds like a great option, especially since it's internally powered. My only concern is that some people have commented that the DAC sounds noticeably better via its toslink inputs. Since I'd be using it as USB DAC, I'm a bit concerned that the USB implementation isn't as robust. In particular, the Dragonfly seems better in that regard (asynchronous USB and 24 bit, higher resolution support... though I'll be primarily listening to 16/44 sources).

Yea I read that too and it kind of worried me, then again it could just be head-fiers are crazy lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back