Oct 10, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,141 of 1,192
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #1,144 of 1,192
Earmen is good
I have an tr-amp for my desk
The new Angel seems excellent

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,147 of 1,192
I have to agree with you 100%.

I bought a iFi micro iDSD Black Label, I expected a lot, I thought it was almost an endgame among portable devices.

I've already put it back on sale.

In a word, I would call it "rough". It completely lacks the musicality, delicacy and magic of the Dragonfly Cobalt, it sounds harsh, sterile and simply unpleasant to listen to.

Judgment based by pairing it with Focal Clear and various IEMs and trying all available settings. Qobuz via UAPP.

Incredible disappointment.
I have the cobalt and now the ifi xdsd gryphon, this is the first time I say, the ifi wins, but cost more ofcourse. Still think the cobalt is a real nice piece of kit in a extreme small package. So keep them both, different use case.

Use it with the se846

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #1,148 of 1,192
Cobalt is really nomad and with my iphone i don’t need a dap… May be a charger lol

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #1,149 of 1,192
What shocked me most, had a day with a few dacs, the ifi gryphon and cobalt are really close in sound signature, gryphon is more detailed and smooth. The one’s I really dislike was the fiio btr5 and btr7, this is already the third device of fiio I don’t like, they seem to have a real typical sound I don’t like.

In my honest opinion the cobalt wins hands on from btr5 and 7, if you look at musicality (don’t care about measurements, I listen to music not look at a analyzer).

The cobalt is even more musical than the hip dac, so some hate the cobalt, I think it is a amazing device

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #1,151 of 1,192
New one isin the pipe
Hope you're right and that it is released soon. Pretty sure my Cobalt is on its last legs. Been getting some random digital noise/distortion when using with PC and laptop and random skips every 30 seconds with my Samsung phone (wasn't happening with my Qudelix 5K a few minutes ago). Still really enjoy the sound with the SE846 when it works though. Also hoping that any newer version has some lower volume settings for those of us with sensitive IEMs who prefer to listen at lower volumes. I am literally listening at the lowest volume setting (1 click above mute) on my Samsung S22+. 2nd lowest is ok for louder environments. 3rd lowest is already too loud for me (I counted 15 volume steps). I recall there used to be a Samsung SoundAssisrant app that allowed you to increase volume steps but doesnt seem to be available anymore.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101-000826_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101-000826_Settings.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 13, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #1,153 of 1,192
No but its bulky vs cobalt

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #1,154 of 1,192
No but its bulky vs cobalt
I agree too bulky, but can comment, O sold my dragon fly and exchanged it for a ifi gryphon, kept going back, nomather how I loved the small size of the dragonfly cobalt.

Propably if I want something small, I would buy a ifi go bar or ifi go blu

If you want something small and cheap I would forger about fosi and get a hiby fc3 or fc5, a dragonfly black or red, ifi go blu, something of fiio.

I had a bluetooth amp, of fosi, it was okay for the price and use case, (garden house) but that was it. I even had to be carefull enabling the amp, because it plopped loudly in the speakers.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,155 of 1,192
I had paw s1, lp w2 i sold all for cobalt easier to use with iPhone for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back