Dr dre headphones review
Aug 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #17 of 33
No one is going to disagree with you on that 
atsmile.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
But you got to admit that the headphones are very, very nice on the outside. At least to me.

I'd sure sure disagree on that point. I've handled several pairs and greatly disliked the plastics and general build quality. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
I'd sure sure disagree on that point. I've handled several pairs and greatly disliked the plastics and general build quality. 

X2
There are tons of good looking headphones on the market...vintage or not, but better than the Dre's. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #25 of 33
I personally like the look of my Shure 840s better then beats. Odd I know but they look more professional.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #26 of 33
For science, I borrowed a pair of the Beats from a guy in my office yesterday and listened to them for several hours.

Here's your review:

The build quality is abysmal. He's had them for less than a year and normal removing them from his head has broken them twice. He made sure I'd be very careful with them.

Headphones are without question a strange beast when it comes to pricing; a pair that costs $500 may be only marginally better than a pair that costs $200, but you might like the sound of the $500 much more (though they are not technically better) because they simply fit your audio profile better.

That said, I generally rank certain Audio Technica phones (vintage Woodies, the W1000x, the ESW7 and ESW9) and most Grados as very good sound for their pricepoints, despite the fact you can probably get a Sennheiser, AKG, or Beyerdynamic that has comparable audio quality for less. 

My point? I'd rank these as having about $50 sound at a $200+ price point. The issue here is that even at $50 I'd still take a KSC 35 or 75 or Portapro over these because they're about as smooth as sandpaper and pitch sound wildly around the soundstage. My P5 images very nicely and was my direct comparison in this particular instance: sounds that have a very specific location around my head or a very specific tactile feel (as confirmed at home later by my W1000X) are suddenly completely out of place with the Beats. Toss on top of that the sounds and frequencies that are just flat out missing from the spectrum. I did more than one double take at my audio player, as if the missing horn part or the guitar or vocals that used to be there were scampering across my desk, trying to escape. 

At this point I've got enough experience with headphones to hear a particular pair and say "Oh, well, this isn't my cup of tea but here's what these do correctly and people who like X would like these." This simply isn't the case with these headphones. You can get more durable, more comfortable, and better sounding headphones in any particular signature flavor you want for either less or more. 

There's nothing particularly WRONG with the Beats audio, but that's not good enough. They sound acceptable, they don't hurt my ears, and they don't offend with piercing frequencies. But there's never any reason ever to buy them. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back