downtempo electronica thread
Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #31 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Thievery Corporation fans here?

Yes! Portishead started me in this genre just recently and in my search for more I soon discovered Thievery Corporation. I picked up two of their albums, The Richest Man in Babylon and The Cosmic Game.

I've also been listening to Massive Attack's Mezzanine.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #32 of 248
Quote:

not sure if anyone said Ulrich Schnauss

Good grief....this guy is fantastic! I haven't heard music like this in a long time. This thread is a goldmine
smily_headphones1.gif

A group that I just discovered that I don't think has been mentioned is Bliss. Great stuff...the production is truly amazing.
Cantoma - great downtempo album...unfortunately I think they just have one cd.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #34 of 248
Part 3

Can.
Fila Brazillia.
Peace Orchestra.
Robert Miles, Organik.
Fluke, Risotto.
Williams Orbit.
Spicelab.
Empirion, Advanced Technology.
Emmanuel Top, Asteroid Album.
Concept 1 96:VR
Global Communication - 76 14
B12 - Electro-Soma

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #36 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Thievery Corporation fans here?

Oh yes. I'm also fond of The Dining Rooms and Hybrid (if that counts). I've heard a couple other artists here but only really like one of their albums (i.e. Tosca, J.A.C.)

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #37 of 248
This is one of my favorite genres.

Gotta agree with some of the choices mentioned... Ulrich Schnauss, Booka Shade, and Zero 7. Been listening to those three for years and I still come back for more.

Thievery Corp doesn't do it for me, for some reason.

I've already gotten a few of the artists mentioned in this thread, and plan on getting more. Keep em coming!

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #38 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite Trip-Hop album is "Impasse" by French artists Smoking After:

1.200.jpg

AFAIK (sadly) the band doesn't exist anymore, but you can legally download the album from Jamendo for free.

Really enjoying this; thanks for the link.

Who is this Ulrich Schnauss guy everyone is talking about? Good starting point?

Love me some good downtempo/downbeat/chillout...just dont have enough in the genre. Ive always found the obscure, chillout mix albums to be the most rewarding.
Im particularly fond of Italian chillout; Cafe Roma on Water Music records is a great starter.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #40 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is this Ulrich Schnauss guy everyone is talking about? Good starting point?

'Far Away Trains Passing By' album is a good place to start.

I'll add Telefon Tel Aviv to the list.

-Thanks james444 for the link - good stuff!

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #41 of 248
Jan 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #42 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey OP. you mentioned Carbon Based Lifeforms. have you checked out Solar Fields? I would recommend his entire discography. start with the most recent "Movements" an amazing work. then I would suggest "Leaving Home" and if you want something more ambient, "Extended"

Fredrik-Öhr - Falling Through The Earth is another recent favorite
as is Hibernation - Some Things Never Change

x2

In fact I'd check out all the Ultimae stuff. I have all the Solar Fields CD's apart from ''Extended'' which is out of print unfortunately, got it on download but would love it lossless.....

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #44 of 248
Boards of Canada are probably my favorite outfit when it comes to downtempo electronica. Music Has the Right to Children is a classic in its own right, but Geogaddi is more down my alley for its greater focus on overall atmosphere and its more beat-centric sound.

Massive Attack is pretty amazing as well. Mezzanine became the soundtrack to my semester last fall, haha. I enjoy some downtempo house music also.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #45 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

In fact I'd check out all the Ultimae stuff. I have all the Solar Fields CD's apart from ''Extended'' which is out of print unfortunately, got it on download but would love it lossless.....

Stay tuned for 2010. New Solar Fields, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Asura (which is overdue from last year) and a new act seen on their Fahrenheit Project series, Hybrid Leisurland
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back