Downloading legal Hi-Fi, no DRM Music?
Nov 7, 2007 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello there, I was wondering if there was a place online to purchase lossless, well recorded, and otherwise high-fidelity digital music that has no integrated DRM? I found a place that has high fidelity music, but it is so full of DRM that I am having trouble with the various updates to my computer that I need to play it... Thanks!

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm pretty sure on amazon, all the mp3 downloads they have been selling are like 256kbps not sure if thats good enough for ya but it's sure hard to tell the difference between that and loseless

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Sorry to dig this back up, but has anyone actually compared the difference between the 24-bit/88.2kHz "masters" and the normal 16-bit/44kHz standards?

The reason I ask is because my current soundcard will only output 16-bit/48kHz via TOSlink so the extra information on the "masters" won't be any use. I therefore won't be able to compare the "masters" to the "CD-quality" files. I do plan on getting a slightly better usb digital transport though.

Another thing thing:

I use iTunes to organise the file structure, tag music and rip music. Foobar is what I use to play the files because of the SRC resampler, crossfeed, ASIO and superior EQ.

Ideally, I'd like to purchase the "masters" and be able to listen to them using Foobar. I'd also like to be able to listen the the "masters" on my iPod, but that would require converting them into ALAC. Will iTunes be able to (down)convert the "masters" to ALAC considering the sampling rate and bit depth.

One last question:

Has anyone listened to Linn's Messiah recording? They seem to hype it up a lot. I really like Handel's Messiah and don't have a single version of it. How is the Linn version musically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back