Double Helix Cables Thread
Sep 13, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #796 of 2,056
I'm just saying if you're concerned with the material quality being specific to DHC. Technically you could get any jack and have it work.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 13, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #797 of 2,056
I'm just saying if you're concerned with the material quality being specific to DHC. Technically you could get any jack and have it work.

Oh, OK. They make plenty of high-end connectors here in Japan, so I was more worried about technical difficulty. I have no idea if that's hard to do, especially for a more intricate cable like the 8-strand.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #798 of 2,056
Oh, OK. They make plenty of high-end connectors here in Japan, so I was more worried about technical difficulty. I have no idea if that's hard to do, especially for a more intricate cable like the 8-strand.

Have you ever soldered one before?  It just takes practice but considering it has eight wires you would have to be careful to mark what wires are soldered to each point on the plug or as Zach M., above, suggested you should have it done by a qualified tech.  It should cost that much for them to do it for you.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #799 of 2,056

Have you ever soldered one before?  It just takes practice but considering it has eight wires you would have to be careful to mark what wires are soldered to each point on the plug or as Zach M., above, suggested you should have it done by a qualified tech.  It should cost that much for them to do it for you.

I would never do it myself. The question was whether or not I should send it back to Peter to have it done, or trust it to some random dude hired by the headphone store. 

I asked Peter, and he said I ought to send it back to him, so that's what I'll do....

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #800 of 2,056
I would have Peter do it and just wait it out.  I know he fills most of this plugs/connections with glue making it more difficult (and could result in a mess) is someone isn't experienced in dealing with them.  You have a really great cable, why risk messing it up for only the sake of "it's quicker".

At least, that's what I would do.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #802 of 2,056
  How do you think about your Complement 4? Thinking about getting one.

Love mine!  I'm kind of like Mike Mercer when it comes to Peters cables.  I just exude enthusiasm for them!  I own DHC Complement 3 Cu/Ag hybrid, the Complement 4 Cu and most recently the Complement 4 Ag.  The Complement 4 Ag is the best cable, by a significant margin, that I've had on my TH900's.  I've had the stock cable, the Stefan Audio Art Endorphin, the Comp 3 hybrid, the Comp 4 Cu and now the Comp 4 Ag.  It just brings out more detail and has a better portrayal of timbre.  Because of those two improvements it seems to present a very realistic soundstage. 

I've been to quite a few live performances at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater FL.  It is a very well regarded venue for being acoustically accurate.  I've seen performances by Jeff Golub, who unfortunately passed this January, Boney James, Dave Koz, Mindi Abair, Richard Elliot, Rick Braun, Bryan Adams, Creed, Daughtry, G3 and Joe Satriani concerts there, just to name a few, and use those as reference. The Comp 4 comes the closest to portraying what I heard live.  We all know our aural memory is limited so take that for what it's worth but I seem to be more emotionally involved with the music using the Comp 4.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #803 of 2,056

Love mine!  I'm kind of like Mike Mercer when it comes to Peters cables.  I just exude enthusiasm for them!  I own DHC Complement 3 Cu/Ag hybrid, the Complement 4 Cu and most recently the Complement 4 Ag.  The Complement 4 Ag is the best cable, by a significant margin, that I've had on my TH900's.  I've had the stock cable, the Stefan Audio Art Endorphin, the Comp 3 hybrid, the Comp 4 Cu and now the Comp 4 Ag.  It just brings out more detail and has a better portrayal of timbre.  Because of those two improvements it seems to present a very realistic soundstage. 

I've been to quite a few live performances at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater FL.  It is a very well regarded venue for being acoustically accurate.  I've seen performances by Jeff Golub, who unfortunately passed this January, Boney James, Dave Koz, Mindi Abair, Richard Elliot, Rick Braun, Bryan Adams, Creed, Daughtry, G3 and Joe Satriani concerts there, just to name a few, and use those as reference. The Comp 4 comes the closest to portraying what I heard live.  We all know our aural memory is limited so take that for what it's worth but I seem to be more emotionally involved with the music using the Comp 4.

Thanks for your review! I am also kind of struggle between the complement 4 and the Norne Audio Arcane. Really want a direct comparison between them.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #804 of 2,056
Week No 25............ Even if it will be shipped it will be last time....

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #805 of 2,056
In the 90's Pool cues were all the rage in Japan and all the exotic cue makers spent most of their time building cues for Japanese customers. I think it's possibly similar for cables too that.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #806 of 2,056
I have the Complement4 for IEM using with my Noble Audio K10 for about a month now. I have to say it really upgrade the audio experience to a new level. More wider soundstage, faster response, more details!

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #807 of 2,056
OK, total newby question: I have an 8-strand Fusion made by Peter. It's balanced with an ALO/RSA connection. 

I'm going to have him re-terminate it to a 1/4" to fit my new Chord Hugo (sooo recommended, BTW), which is singe-ended. 

Does that mean the cable itself will be SE now? Do 1/4" connectors come in balanced and SE configurations? Are they all SE? 

Thanks. 

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #808 of 2,056
OK, total newby question: I have an 8-strand Fusion made by Peter. It's balanced with an ALO/RSA connection. 

I'm going to have him re-terminate it to a 1/4" to fit my new Chord Hugo (sooo recommended, BTW), which is singe-ended. 

Does that mean the cable itself will be SE now? Do 1/4" connectors come in balanced and SE configurations? Are they all SE? 

Thanks. 

If he reterminates it then yes the cable will be single ended.

If you want to retain the ability to go balanced,you can purchase an rsa to to 1/4 adaptor instead. That way u can choose between rsa balanced for 1/4 single ended.

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #809 of 2,056
If he reterminates it then yes the cable will be single ended.

If you want to retain the ability to go balanced,you can purchase an rsa to to 1/4 adaptor instead. That way u can choose between rsa balanced for 1/4 single ended.

Bingo.  Cheaper and probably quicker to get the adaptor than to reterminate, and enables you to have more flexibility in the future.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back