Double-amping an iphone/ipad
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

redrising98

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I don't use an amp that regularly (mostly just use iems on the go) but I sometimes use my magni for my fullsized cans.  So I was wondering what is the preferred method of "double-amping".  Ie if I want to output from my iphone/ipad to the magni should i set the device volume to max/min/somewhere in between and then adjust the amp or maybe the other way around?

Hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I would start by having both volume levels as low as possible and raising one, lowering it back, and then raising the other.

See if raising one or the other causes any distortion because to amplify a line level signal twice might.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 8
  Hi all,

I don't use an amp that regularly (mostly just use Iems on the go) but I sometimes use my Magni for my full sized cans.  So I was wondering what is the preferred method of "double-amping".  Ie if I want to output from my iPhone/iPad to the Magni should i set the device volume to max/min/somewhere in between and then adjust the amp or maybe the other way around?

Hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance.

If your apple product is one of the older models with an LOD port, then you can just get a LOD cable to connect the LOD port to the line-input on the Magni.
Provides a slightly cleaner analog audio signal, compared the the headphone output jack.

If you have newer Apple products with the lightning port, then I guess you just have to use the headphone output jack.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm using a 5s so yeah lightning port... darn.  Aren't there lightning to LOD converters though or does that not provide the lineout function?

I'll try messing with the volume on both sides.  Thanks for the replies.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 8
 Aren't there lightning to LOD converters though or does that not provide the lineout function?

I'm not an Apple person, but I don't think the iPhone 5 series has line out capability. Rather it's digital out via the lightning port and such a device would be a DAC (but not sure).

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 8
  I'm using a 5s so yeah lightning port... darn.  Aren't there lightning to LOD converters though or does that not provide the line-out function?

I'll try messing with the volume on both sides.  Thanks for the replies.

As the lightning port outputs a digital audio signal and the input on the Magni is analog, you would need an external DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) that works with the lightning port.
I would assume this DAC would cost more then what you would reasonable expect to spend, so i would guess you would just stick to the analog cable from the iPhone/iPad to the Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back