Dopey newbie questions :S
Jan 13, 2011 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SK8-BizArrE

New Head-Fier
Just had a pair of Grado SR80i's for xmas after audition a fair few on the build up to the meery break. I know their not the top of the range but hey beggars can't be choosers :wink: but I am loving them to bits!
Using them mostly (time wise as time is limited) with my Cowon D2 (J3 in a few months I hope!!)  for the dog walks (live rural so open back and noise isn't an issue in fields of nothing). But also using them with my dated HiFi system :S

Now hears the questions and excuse my newbie headphone numptyness :)

1.Would it be worth me buying a headphone amp I know there not top of their range headphones ?? ......System: Marantz CD63 signature/Arcam Alpha 6+/Heybrook Haystacks (told you its old, but it still sounds pretty good I reckon for the money/age and I bought new lol).......

2. Was considering the Musical Fidelity X Can V3 its valve and reckon would suit the Grado's, what you think?? Can get one 2nd hand for a reasonable price.

3. The Arcam Alpha 6+ is a bit of a pain in the bum (but still nice!) as the speaker 1 route is hard wired so the speakers stay on when headphones are plugged in. Now you can use the Speaker 2 option wiring and the bypass switch which I can and will do but not if I can avoid it.........
I know you can go CD - Intergrated amp(Arcam) - Headphone amp but could I go CD - Headphone amp - Intergrated amp(Arcam) instead and thus avoid the whole speaker issue without losing quality to my separates set up??
I am guessing not and this is the most stupid question I have asked :S

Any help and answers to questions massively appreciated and any recommendations of Headphone amps that would suit etc too.....

Thanks in advance "a loving his Grado's" SK8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back