Don't Crucify Me! Gilmore Lite (DT880,..) Sounds Like a Very Fine 'TRANSISTOR' Radio!
Apr 2, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #46 of 117
Honestly adam, I kind of feel bad for you as far as this thread is concerned. Here you are stating your honest opinion and now you are getting pressured to upgrade like mad in order to enjoy it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking it; In fact, this place would be quite boring if everyone liked fully discrete amplifiers/one particular brand of anything.

My advice? Sell the glite and get something warmer, maybe the microamp. I absolutely loved the micro amp/DT880 combo; this may be something for you.

And everyone telling him to upgrade his source; I guess he could, but IMO that would cost more than just changing his amp.

Good luck finding your sonic tastes.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #47 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Honestly adam, I kind of feel bad for you as far as this thread is concerned. Here you are stating your honest opinion and now you are getting pressured to upgrade like mad in order to enjoy it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking it; In fact, this place would be quite boring if everyone liked fully discrete amplifiers/one particular brand of anything.

My advice? Sell the glite and get something warmer, maybe the microamp. I absolutely loved the micro amp/DT880 combo; this may be something for you.

And everyone telling him to upgrade his source; I guess he could, but IMO that would cost more than just changing his amp.

Good luck finding your sonic tastes.

Yeah, but changing the source will make a much bigger difference than changing the Gilmore to another amp of similar ability. If you aren't extracting the detail from the CD in the first place, you can change amps till the end of time and it's still not going to fix that you have a crappy source. Ivor T from Linn had it right- SOURCE FIRST!

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #48 of 117
I really don't think the issue is with the amplifier.

The Gilmore Lite really doesn't add that much to the signal path; what you're hearing is your source or the quality of your line-out, which evidently has a "transistor" sound. The receiver you are hearing is providing veiling warmth that lessens the "transistor" sound.

If you hook up a Gilmore Lite to a nice source/line-out, I really don't think you will experience any of these problems (lack of bass, tinny sound, etc.).

-Matt

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #49 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris719
Receiver jacks are NOTORIOUS for high output impedances which give bassy, warm, bloated sound. Even a cheap onkyo 'transistor radio' receiver I have does this. You are allergic to the truth Adam. If you like that bloated sound more, that is fine, but realize that it is your receiver that is acting like an equalizer.

My thoughts exactly... IMO it's very likely him preferring the warm sound of a higher output impedance. If he had compared the Gilmore against other headphone amps (rather than these built in headphone jacks) he would have more of a case for his assessment of the Gilmore's sound.

P.S. hope nobody's putting me in the "Gilmore defender" camp, I haven't even heard the thing... it's more of a case of general annoyance at Adam's, uhhm, style of reviewing.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #50 of 117
Quote:

Does this mean you are going to take up your crusade against Gilmore amps again? Here I was under the impression that you were done once you sold off your V2. Gosh darn it, I'm out of popcorn. Please, while we are playing the come to jesus game, go ahead and re-enlighten us all.

First, which crusade, I never took any crusade against Dr. Gilmore designs at all, as for weird that it seems, I respect that gentleman, just for the sake of being one of the pioneers of this hobby, and one of the only true honest designers for the DIY world...and he had offered me help in many occasions, what I really appreciate...

Second, I did not sold that amp, IIRC, it was long time ago, the manufacturer (finally) refunded me, that was different, if I would sold it I would lost even more money...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

And yes you are right, I'm done with that old episode, as with many other things here in head-fi....I just got my sound, the one I like and prefer, good, bad, neutral, accurate or not, bass heavy, coloured, who cares, that is the one I like, and found right, and period, so no more looking for me, I'm a happy listener now (for now)

But while I got the SA5000 some time ago, and later on, sold them, because I did not like the sound, and found it bright, the same arguments were used, at that time for different members..."a bad source, a crappy source...etc..."

Now I saw something similar, so right now I'm really curious on how many designers and manufacturers, only seem to design amps and headphones just for ultra high-end sources, and that really worries me, as many people can not afford them, and pretty soon we will not be able to get any decent sound (according to those members) if you do not spend a considerable amount of money on a setup.....but for now I'm very happy with mine and it is very humble, so go and figure.....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Source are a very important part of the system I'm not denying that fact, and I know that a better source will make a setup sound much better, but IMO, and IME, a humble source will never make any setup sound bad, unless a completelly horrible source or defective.....any 150.00 CD player, and PCDP, any MP3 player, of any stores will offer at least the minimum you will need to listen music at least in a decent way....period...

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #51 of 117
All I hear is try this and that source and it's absolutely logical but not practical for me.
Where are the owners of Gilmore Lite on this site? Didn't I ask this question in my post? I did.
Can they speak out? I believe that many of them would have positive impressions about GL.
Is there any thread analyzing GL and the DT880s with a moderately priced source?
Is there any Appreciation Thread featuring Gilmore Lite based on its quality and not popularity?
I don't think that there is one. Doesn't this hint at something? I don't know.
I've read an interesting review by warpdriver (as far and I recall) about the DT880s and Micro amp.

All those remarks and comments that it takes '3 to tango' are obvious and I did mention them in my post.
The remark about the Marantz CDP might be correct and I was aware of this possibility.
However I'd prefer slightly (I emphasize slightly) distored sound to the metallic and dry sound.

The tube outputs from an output would change the rules of the game,
wouldn't they? How about hooking-up GL to a record player?
Then we would have even the analogue source format. Wouldn't it help?
I guess, it would. What it means GL is very source-sensitive (and therefore very selective in this respect),
and someone said this on one of the related threads which I did launch recently.
That the DT880s are somewhat bright, shy on bass, somewhat dry, ....
I was aware of this fact long time ago. On one of the posts someone said this,
and I did (quietly, but don't spread the news) confirm this, but I did stress UNamped at that time.

Digression
Many times on this site I've seen people expressing unorthodox opinions
(and thus being 'polically incorrect') and they were getting rude replies and more ...
How many of you can see outside the box?
Quite a few of you are just 'encabled' or 'enslaved', if you will,
within your equipment and unable to accept other points of view.
At the same time
it's a pleasure to talk to the overwhelming majority of you
and that is what matters to me.

Proposition
Instead of openly expressing critical opinions about something on this site do this thru the PM system.
Yes, there are certain things which are taboo on this site,
and GL seems (just seems and I'm not sure) to be a good example of this 'taboo'.

Probably we should close this thread just for peace of mind.

Closing, I'm gonna have a beer (I'm over 21), and guess what kind, XYZ Light
becaue it's a good match to Gilmore Lite at least in terms of names.

Adam
580smile.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #52 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
it's a pleasure to talk to the overwhelming majority of you
and that is what matters to me.

The pleasure is all yours. Well, not all yours, I think you're a pretty *****ing entertaining addition to the group.

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #53 of 117
If you haven't already, you are going to either return or sell the Gilmore Lite? Right....
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Is there any Appreciation Thread featuring Gilmore Lite based on its quality and not popularity? I don't think that there is one. Doesn't this hint at something? I don't know

There are far too many amp manufactures on this site that are under appreciated or don’t receive the sales and word of mouth they deserve for whatever reason I do not know why. If you are implying that lack of a thread and/or post means one amp isn’t so hot or others are better, IMO you are making a big mistake and it is a weak foundation for your argument because it’s only based on a BIG assumption. Obviously, you realized this since you even admitted that “[you] don’t know.”

Quote:

Many times on this site I've seen people expressing unorthodox opinions (and thus being 'polically incorrect') and they were getting rude replies and more ... How many of you can see outside the box? Quite a few of you are just 'encabled' or 'enslaved', if you will, within your equipment and unable to accept other points of view.

You are entitled to your opinion as are others entitled to respond to your opinion. Yet it appears you are equally responsible for dishing it out so you must be prepared to receive like in kind. I must admit that some people are sometimes rude here on Head-Fi, but that has more to do with them then it has to do with you. And I haven’t been following this thread too closely, but based on some of your comments above and previously some Head-Fiers might perceive your comments as being “rude … and [not seeing] outside the box.” There is a saying when you point the finger three are pointing back at you. I hope you realize this isn’t meant as an attack, but just an objective observation. I do accept your point of view, but I am under no obligation to agree or read your observations with my tongue tied.

Quote:

Instead of openly expressing critical opinions about something on this site do this thru the PM system. Yes, there are certain things which are taboo on this site,
and GL seems (just seems and I'm not sure) to be a good example of this 'taboo'.

Are you going to follow your own advice in the future? Just out of curiosity?

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #54 of 117
Quote:

Yes, there are certain things which are taboo on this site,

Adam
580smile.gif

I actually think that you will find less fan-boyism with gilmore lite than Ray Samuels or Singlepower amps because they are not associated with a single person who goes to great lengths to market them through "high quality" service. If anything, the GL and similar amplifiers are probably one of the least taboo topics you will find on this forum.

I think that most of our objections arise to your commentary not from being over-protective of an amp, but from the limited nature of your experience.

If you were to try some other amps and sources, I think you would quickly find that your source is the limitation and not the amplifier. I also think that there are many sources that are much better than the one you currently possess but don't cost a dime more.

Hence, I think your opposition to supposed "upgrade-itis" is unwarranted; we're not asking for you to spend more, but rather to exchange your current source for something that doesn't sound "transistor-like." The Gilmore Lite is letting you hear what your source really sounds like and you're reacting in a negative fashion to this revelation.

-Matt

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #55 of 117
I would be careful citing the source as the main problem. The marantz CD5400 is an entry level player but it's not garbage either. I just think that the gilmore lite reveals a tragic mismatch in between the sources, the headphones and the preferences of the poster while the other headphones outputs tame it. It's not an upgrade which is needed, it's a change.

It is well known that the gilmore lite coloration (I've not heard yet an amp which is not coloring sound in one way or another) is not going towards more warmth. In a way, the opinion expressed here is not "unorthodox", not at all in fact. Saying "the gilmore lite didn't make my DT880 smoother" is something anyone who has an amp based on the Gilmore's design could have predicted.

In other words : you bought a Krell and complain that it doesn't sound like a SET.

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #56 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940

In other words : you bought a Krell and complain that it doesn't sound like a SET.

Quote of the day, BABY!
icon10.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #57 of 117
Quote:

Do you really believe that this comparison represents what is happening here? So in other words you believe that to make a Krell sound good you need a similar priced source, that means that Krell make their amps only to be in multithousands dollar chain, and that they can not be used with good results with an standard regular source, or that they will sound bad with those?

Now what is so wrong with that Marantz or that Pioneer he used that make this "entry level amp" (as the site describe it) sounds that horrible, with that high-end headphone???

We have here a lot of MP3 players happy users, sound cards happy users, PCDPs happy users, are you saying that this Marantz and this Pioneer sound worst than all of those, and that all those guys are deaf and can not be happy using those sources with other portable or entry level amps, as they do, and can not be happy with those setups, as they do???

OMG!!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #58 of 117
I have a DT880....and I can make it sound like a transistor radio: just hooking it up to a transistor radio!. I never heard the glite, but I am shure it will sound bad if you connect it to a sibilant/harsh source. Don't see the point in this whole thing.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #59 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
. . . . any 150.00 CD player, and PCDP, any MP3 player, of any stores will offer at least the minimum you will need to listen music at least in a decent way....period...

Quite clearly opinions differ on this point, and people have had different experiences. I have found that many inexpensive sources seem to specialize in sibilance, for example. Anyway (to everyone), there doesn't seem to be much point in arguing further whether, as a matter of absolute truth, the problem raised on this thread is attributable to the source, or whether as a general matter sources matter more than amps, or vice-versa. As with other aspects of audio, people's experiences, hearing abilities, and personal preferences, etc., differ. So he can either try a different source if that is practical, or try to get a different amp that matches the source. better My first change would be the former if it was me, but everybody has to do what they think is best for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #60 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Quite clearly opinions differ on this point, and people have had different experiences. I have found that many inexpensive sources seem to specialize in sibilance, for example.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sibilance, source being a little bright, or a little bass heavy, or even a little muddied, that could be improved, this is OK with me, and those are exactly the main differences between good and bad sources IMO...just a little bit of this, or a little bit of that.....But this is completelly different, they are stating that the Pioneer and Marantz engineers are so stupid that instead of going forward with the time, now they are going backwards and now they make their sources sound like a transistor radio...don't you think that this a little naive to call it the least.....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back