Dongle DAC suggestions
Feb 14, 2024 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

luckyeights

100+ Head-Fier
So how is everyone, its been a while since I last posted. Anyway im kind of easing my way back into audio gear. I just recently got the moondrop dawn pro which I really like. You see iv always had DACs that are probably more analytical or maybe neutral. But after hearing this little dawn pro and how much I like its sound im wanting to maybe explore something with a more organic sound but not to the extreme just a little.

So the dawn pro I would say is neutral with a light drizzle of honey on top. By this I mean it has a slight lean torwards organic sound (or warm?) and with that it also takes the sharp edges off of certain notes you know the ones that while your listening to music make you cringe or make your ears hurt and make listening fatiguing. But all the sparkle and air is still there its just more enjoyable/musical.

So anyway im trying to think if it would be worth getting another DAC with this same properites also a dongle but maybe if there is anyhting better than this one?

My thoughts were:
Moondrop Moonriver 2ti ( Is this a direct upgrade to dawn pro and is it worth it?)
Ibasso DC04pro
Aune Yuki
Aful Snowynight
Colorfly CDA-M1P

Other possible option but I feel might be too warm and are also on the expensive side:
Cayin RU7
Hiby FC6

If you have any thoughts let me know or if you have directly compared the dawn pro to any of these that would be a great help.

Thank you

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 12
Welcome back. I haven't heard the ones on your list, but I'd add the Questyle M15.

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 12
all the Fiio option (BTR series) are a good buy, with the added benefit of bluetooth

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 12
the Fiio's are also all compatible with the Fiio Control app, giving eq and filters, as well as power output specs and spl level

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 12
If you need a softer sound, just equalizing down the higher treble (like over 8khz) can work wonders for no cost, since any media player will have it. If you go with something better like a Tanchjim Space, it's going to be transparent and distortion free, but heavy metal tracks will still be bright. Anything you get short of a tube amp isn't going to make enough of a difference. Just try adjusting the in player equalizer to tone down the bright frequencies.

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 12
So the dawn pro I would say is neutral with a light drizzle of honey on top. By this I mean it has a slight lean torwards organic sound (or warm?) and with that it also takes the sharp edges off of certain notes you know the ones that while your listening to music make you cringe or make your ears hurt and make listening fatiguing. But all the sparkle and air is still there its just more enjoyable/musical.
Based on this description, I think you might enjoy the Cayin RU6.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Based on this description, I think you might enjoy the Cayin RU6.
Thank you for your suggestion. I would assume you own this particular dac/amp? If so do you own any other dongle dacs that you could compare to help me get a frame of refrence to how it sounds. Also why would you suggest the ru6 over the ru7.

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 12
Thank you for your suggestion. I would assume you own this particular dac/amp? If so do you own any other dongle dacs that you could compare to help me get a frame of refrence to how it sounds. Also why would you suggest the ru6 over the ru7.

The only other dongle amp/DAC I've used is the THX Onyx (other than the Apple dongle!), which I originally purchased as an upgrade for the built-in DAC on my laptop (and subsequently for use with some of my full-size headphones once I got a phone with a USB-C port). I had no complaints about the Onyx; it is very neutral, powerful and delivers clear, crisp sound. Totally transparent, nothing offensive. Listening through the Monarch MK3s that I recently acquired, however, which are fairly resolving on the top end (compared to my other favorite IEM, the Blessing 2: Dusk), the Onyx comes across as a bit dry and clinical after listening to the RU6. Technically some might accuse the RU6 of technical shortcomings like upper treble roll-off and mid-bass bloom, but as a tube amp enthusiast, I'd describe the sound as more "analogue" sounding. My subjective assessment is how often I get goosebumps or a smile on my face (or a raised eyebrow while thinking, "wow, that is a surprise") while listening; the RU6 + MK3 scores very highly in that regard. It's a bit like what I think a really good tube amp does with the right dynamic drivers; it's not smearing the sound, but it makes it all a bit more cohesive so you can enjoy the entire piece, without being distracted by one particular element.

I own and very much enjoy a number of ESS-based DACs so I don't have any inherent bias against the 9028 used in the Onyx, but after comparing to the RU6, with the Onyx I can better understand what some people mean about "treble hardness" or "etch" with regards to delta-sigma DACs (which can get fatiguing). It's not simply that it's more resolving; the Abyss Diana V2's are the most resolving headphone I own, for example, and the first one that really made me appreciate good treble; they're somehow detailed while remaining smooth. Perhaps the Onyx though is just exposing some of the frequency peaks of the MK3s (as opposed to being something the DAC is doing), so if the IEMs or headphones you're planning to use with the dongle lean more warm, then a more "technical" dongle might be the way to go.

I haven't actually heard the RU7 so I can't comment, but most of what I've read suggests it presents much more like a delta-sigma than an R2R DAC, so it may not have as much of that analogue "romance" that people enjoy with the latter.

Anyway, I usually hate the way most reviewers describe audio gear given how subjective it is, but I hope this helps!

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 12
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 12
I haven't actually heard the RU7 so I can't comment, but most of what I've read suggests it presents much more like a delta-sigma than an R2R DAC, so it may not have as much of that analogue "romance" that people enjoy with the latter.
The RU6 is an R2R ladder DAC and the RU7 is a 1-bit discrete DAC that upscales all files to DSD. There is a lot of discussion on the forums as to who prefers R2R or 1-Bit processing.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 12
So how is everyone, its been a while since I last posted. Anyway im kind of easing my way back into audio gear. I just recently got the moondrop dawn pro which I really like. You see iv always had DACs that are probably more analytical or maybe neutral. But after hearing this little dawn pro and how much I like its sound im wanting to maybe explore something with a more organic sound but not to the extreme just a little.

So anyway im trying to think if it would be worth getting another DAC with this same properites also a dongle but maybe if there is anyhting better than this one?

My thoughts were:
Moondrop Moonriver 2ti ( Is this a direct upgrade to dawn pro and is it worth it?)
Ibasso DC04pro
Aune Yuki
Aful Snowynight
Colorfly CDA-M1P

Other possible option but I feel might be too warm and are also on the expensive side:
Cayin RU7
Hiby FC6

If you have any thoughts let me know or if you have directly compared the dawn pro to any of these that would be a great help.

Thank you
I own the Fiio BTR5 and use it with IEMs and full sized headphones via balanced connection. I continue to be surprised by this little dac/amp. I am certain this observation isn't limited to the Fiio as there have been great reviews of others. However, if you want to run some big headphones I would recommend a dongle dac/amp with a balanced connection. I don't run mine on bluetooth that often, only for podcasts.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Thank you everyone for your replies. So iv been comparing my moondrop dawn pro to my topping dx1. And I just can't believe what I'm hearing. The dawn pro just wow. The best way I can describe the dawn pro is that it brings emotion to music. It actually made me cry at times because it just makes music sound like it has a soul. I think it's because the timbre and overall tonal balance is just so life like. When someone sings you can feel the passion in their voice. when I switch over to my dx1 this emotion is lost it feels more sterile.

The dawn pro also has such a spacious sound to it as well it's like being in the center of a stadium and the music is all around you. Note with that things do not sound distant unless they are meant to there is no what I would call artifical distance or space created here. It's a very natural sounding sound stage. The dawn pro is also more resolving than the dx1. When I listen to a violinist for instance I can hear the various reverberations of a note being played while on the dawn pro but on the dx1 the note being played is more flat or monotone I can't make out these reverberations that make up the note as the bow is drawn across.

I cent believe that this little thing that only cost $50 can sound so amazing. The only down side to this little dongle is that you may have issues with power hungry headphones. Given how well moon drop has executed this dongle I am becoming more and more interested in trying the moon river 2 ti.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back