Dolby headphone vs Dolby Home Theater v4 ?
Mar 8, 2013 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

appsmarsterx

500+ Head-Fier
hello, past few days I've been trying to find out which algorithm is more suited for music and movies . Currently I have Xonar Phoebus with Dolby Home Theater v4 which also has a surround virtualizer similar to DH, I already listened to some test tracks on youtube with Dolby Headphone algorithm. but can't decide which one is better, specially for music. I ve noticed some reverb effects in some tracks with DH specially with voices . but in some tracks I m not noticing much reverb effect.. I cant really compare the difference since I don't have any Dolby Headphone supported soundcard ..

anyone has any experience with DH and Dolby Home Theater v4? what is more suitable for music and movies ? really appreciate any help...

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 2
first of all.. you are looking for a dolby signal on youtube when there isn't one.

can't figure you've demonstrated each piece of hardware until you use a valid encoded signal.

do a search for 'dolby test' and grab the short video that plays a sound from each of the 5.1 speakers.

most likely (here anyways, especially for headphones) you are looking for the stronger rear channel virtualization.

i've got dolby headphone on my receiver and it did side to front, with some fading inbetween the channels while it was doing side to front.. but the rear sounds are almost non-existant.
besides, the dolby headphone on my receiver has an effect dial to increase or decrease the 'effect'
but the effect is really a dumb echo (reverb) that doesnt simulate a larger room, it simply increases the echo .. and perhaps the timing difference of the increased echo is backwards of a larger room, because it doesn't sound like a room's atmosphere grows .. it simply sounds like the same sound repeated a larger number of times.

cmss-3d on the x-fi soundcards sounds like trash too (with headphones anyways).
but to be fair, perhaps neither one of the technologies were really used fully in their installment.
(to say there was more adjustable sound available, but the audio mastering producer didn't use it.. not that i used a signal that wasn't encoded with dolby surround)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back