Does your message go above or below your quote?
Mar 22, 2007 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

flamerz

Headphoneus Supremus
When you quote someone, do you type your message above or below it?

I post mine below. I've noticed that the forums give you a blank line or two under the quote, so I use it. Also, I like reading the quote first so I know what the person is referring to. I do this for PMs too, although I believe I should change my ways for that, simply for the convenience factor.

Oh, and seeing a message before the quote slightly peeves me sometimes. I have no idea why.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well for PMs, I write my message above the quote because its easier to look at it. For regular posts, I post below the quote

same here
icon10.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

well for PMs, I write my message above the quote because its easier to look at it. For regular posts, I post below the quote

Same
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I post mine below. I've noticed that the forums give you a blank line or two under the quote, so I use it. Also, I like reading the quote first so I know what the person is referring to. I do this for PMs too, although I believe I should change my ways for that, simply for the convenience factor.

Oh, and seeing a message before the quote slightly peeves me sometimes. I have no idea why.

like this.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 23
Well as pretty much everyone else does, for something like emails or PM etc. you're replying directly to someone. The quote is just there if they're not entirely sure what you're replying to or to refresh their memory and so on. So it goes at the bottom.

With a quote in a topic you're actually nominating part of what someone else has stated that you are responding to, so naturally it should be read first so people understand what you are referring to before reading your comments in response.

Well that's my justification for doing it that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 23
What peeves you off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 23
For everything, I write below. Both PM's and standard posts.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

yep, ditto.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 23
Especially for longer quotations, I prefer the "comments below quoted parts" version, i.e.
Quote:

statement1

comment1
Quote:

statement2

comment2

Just like I learnt in ye olde Usenet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back