Jan 11, 2008 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
Alesis :: TransActive Mobile

TransActiveMobile_angle_sm.jpg

It's my new construction site iPod jam box
cool.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 14
So I would say yes! You just need a handtruck and an extension cord....Quote from the site: "MUSIC TO GO. Anywhere. Anytime." I'm taking mine swimming!

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 14
Sure!
- Battery powered? Check
- Portable size? Check

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had this one book marked for years. Kind of a "If i win the lottery this is some of the useless stuff I will buy" thing.

CLAASSEN & PARTNER: MSKYO

What is that? I can't read German. It looks like portable speakers in a crazy looking enclosure.

I finally did some listening with my new toy. It gets quite loud at max volume with iPod as source...I should test with an SPL meter. It has decent bass impact but doesn't go much below 60 Hz. I'll guess. I need to run a frequency sweep CD to test its limits. The 1" soft dome tweeter is fairly smooth playing some reference tracks from the iPod.

Being ported it hits pretty good for the 20 watt spec but isn't my preferred acoustic suspension sound. I tried using the RockBox EQ to tweak the sound but in the end I preferred using the Apple firmware(no EQ) for ease of use and best SQ.

Earlier I plugged in my keyboard and played while my son sang karaoke style along to some iPod tunes...I'm sure we sounded terrible.lol- with this it was plenty loud in a 14' x 22' room at 50% volume. We used the supplied mic and balanced cable.

I give it a big thumbs up.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 14
This IPOD rocks and ready to roll and rumble!

To qualify as portable you need to show the back strap for behind the back carrying
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 14
Yes it does rock 'n roll...it has wheels you know lol

I did buy a big duffel bad at Target which has a shoulder strap...I need to be able to carry this 40 lb. beast up a ladder
eek.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This baby rocks and is truly portable.
It a whole stereo in a suitcase.

Stereo in a box:

Cambridge SoundWorks: High Performance Speakers, Home Theater Systems, Table Radios, Multimedia Systems and More

c1md12ee.jpg

Do you own that Cambridge? I bet it has a much more high-fi SQ for near-field use than the Alesis but probably can't match the raw SPL which is needed for outside use in a possibly noisy area . One of my big requirements was that the unit be self powered preferably with built-in rechargeable battery. The Cambridge could be powered with some type of portable 12 volt battery I guess...with that added cost and bulk. It's also $500 which is really getting up there...I paid less than the going street price for the Alesis.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 14
Since this is Head-Fi, yes
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this is Head-Fi, yes
rolleyes.gif

...where anything goes including your wallet.

Well I'm not as bad as Punnisher in this thread. lol

I tried the Stereo Link 1/4" jack in the back of the Alesis with headphones. It works like a loop-out/headphone jack.I only tried it with 325i but it sounded as good as line-out from iPod.

IMG_1939.jpg

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 14
..and this is a portable headphone rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

porta.gif

[size=xx-small]Kevin Gilmore's Omega II rig from some years back.
* Sony d-ej01
* Stax SRM-212
* Stax SR-007
* 12 volt 7 amp-hour battery[/size]

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also $500 which is really getting up there...I paid less than the going street price for the Alesis.

2 days ago, it was on sale for $349. The price changes frequently, so I assume it could be had for $349 again, soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back