Does the pursuit of lossless audio end up affecting the pleasure we derive from listening to good music?
Dec 1, 2014 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rajeevrn

100+ Head-Fier
I know that we have always tried to achieve high quality audio, I mean the pursuit never stops But I did like to know what you think about two points I have in mind:

1) Is it possible a lower fidelity track might just be a joy to listen to than a higher fidelity track(not just because of flaws becoming evident, but because of a certain body to the lower fidelity track itself)? Is that a greater warmth actually?

2) Does the pursuit of lossless audio cause us to forget tracks which are not available in lossless, hence miss out on musically superior tracks(in each person's own opinion)?

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 7
All modern music is available on CD which is lossless

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 7

That's not true.  Some albums, though not many yet, are not being released on CD in the US and are only available as MP3s.

Really? Can't say I've come across any.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 7
People go the wrong direction in pursuing sound quality. The sound of the source file is the least of the problems. Instead of focusing on how many inaudible zeros and ones there are packed into a file, they should be worrying about the quality of their transducers and working to fine tune their response so they can squeeze all of the sound they can out of them.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 7
People need to remember it's all about the music. It's all too easy to find yourself listening to music which is spectacularly produced and technically flawless. And crap.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 7
  Really? Can't say I've come across any.

Well, I was planning to give you a handful of examples, but it seems several of the ones I was thinking of subsequently came out on CD some time after their initial digital only release.

However, one that comes to mind is the self titled album from Les Friction has an instrumental bonus "disc".  The instrumentals aren't available on CD, only as MP3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back