Does the fall of music ever depress you? It does me.
May 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #46 of 198
David Mahler is right. I'm a 23 year old guy. I've listened to a lot of current pop music over the last 5 years. Just playing on the car radio, in clubs, at my friends' house ... I think I have a fair handle on what's popular now. And while I won't say it's universally trash, most of it is not good music. Don't much care for modern rock, seems like most top 40 rock is just somebody with a guitar whining. I guess the "real men" now listen to green day singing about their broken dreams and sit in their dorm room and cry, thinking about their horrible, horrible life. Cause being an American college student is hard, you know ... Those starving AIDs babies in Africa have it easy! They don't even know what broken dreams are! Try having TWO finals on one day, and your boss makes you work an extra hour at your 10 hour a week job! Seriously, what is with men these days? Whenever I turn on some real rock like Turbonegro or Overkill, they all cringe like little girls.

In terms of hip hop... wow, thats my #1 pet peeve. Yes, the lyrics are terrible. But, that's what young people like. They want a catchy, danceable beat, and lyrics about screwing. If the screwing is described like a 13 year old boy would joke around with his friends, than that is even better. No joke, this is the kind of music that makes my friends (boys AND girls) happy. I guess at its core, modern commercial hip-hop is about the 2 main motivators in people - sex and power. Try to describe those 2 things in the basest way possible, with no creativity, and you'll get a top 40 rap song. It's music for people who are just barely above the level of animals, and sometimes below. That applies equally to a 20 year old kid at harvard and a 60 year old working at mcdonalds. If you like songs by Ludacris, Usher, etc, you are an idiot. Go shoot yourself. That said, of course I still enjoy these songs when I'm in the club, crapfaced drunk, grinding on some wasted girl.

May 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #48 of 198
this_thread_again.jpg

I am tired of the argument that because mainstream music is terrible, the modern state of music is terrible. If you can't find amazing new music with one google search, you are either blind or aren't trying. The list of great new records so far this year, and this is only in my small area of sites I visit:

Surfer Blood
Morning Benders
Sh&Him
MGMT
Local Natives
LCD Soundsystem
Gaslight Anthem
The National

and these are within the past few weeks, let alone before that or the rest of the year, where there is a whole list of amazing releases scheduled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.........mainstream music today is..... either..... I, V, vi, IV OR vi, IV, I, V over a series of hypnotic computerized drum patterns

It is because they sound good. How many classic folk songs go I IV V I. And blues. And rock. And pop.

May 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #49 of 198
I dont have a problem with mainstream music sucking stick. A more problematic issue is that some people now have a tendency of dissing old music, and i dont like it; its like, they are always on the run for the coolest new song around. For me, once a good song always a good song.

May 2, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #50 of 198
Maybe its only the american mainstream that has become way too commercial. Britney/Lopez stuff did nt suck so bad, they had some meaning. Here is a paragraph from "Boom Boom Pow" by Black Eyed Peas.

Quote:

I'm so 3008
You so 2000 and late
I got that boom, boom, boom
That future boom, boom, boom
Let me get it now

i mean...What

May 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #51 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe its only the american mainstream that has become way too commercial.

Like I said, I could go on and on about the commercialization... not even that, just the poor management, of the Hong Kong and Taiwanese (and therefore by extension mainland PRC) mainstream. Although some of the popular hiphop and R&B is infuriating - but there's also good stuff out there, I'm sure.

May 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #52 of 198
This will be a reference to numerous posts within the thread:

The Monkees: I'm by no means a Monkees fan, but lets not forget that the writers behind the Monkees were very good and many of the Monkees songs were excellent songs, however........it was geared towards ages 15 and under for the most part. If you were 20 years old in 1967 you weren't listening to Pleasant Valley Sunday, you were listening to Dylan, Hendrix, The Doors, James Brown, Aretha etc.

Today, I see 26 year olds listening to the garbage which you were comparing the Monkees to. The Monkees songs didn't recycle the same 4 chords over and over, despite it not being original material. I'm a Believer, Stepping Stone, Daydream Believer, Pleasant Valley, Clarksville....they're all different sounding,and while they're essentially Beatles derived, it's still more musical than the bulk of the songs you hear on mainstream radio which are really just the same songs re-manufactured.

Regarding good music always being around......YES i'm aware of this. But what I am saying is that mainstream music is where the Culture unifies and creates a musical identity. If you think Of Montreal or MGMT or Arcade Fire is going to be the way music is remembered throughout the youth generation in 30 years, you're wrong. This generation which is presently between 15 and 25 will be remembered for "come here rude boy boy are you big enough?" and "It's too late to apologize" and "can't read my poker face"............that's not much of a musical identity if you ask me.....and without a musical identity, it doesn't matter how much great music there is being released, if there's no money being invested in it then it's just what it is.....good music, it can't move a culture like it once did.

Regarding The Beatles being simple back beat and crappy by people born in the 20s and 30s. Sure they said that, and based on the Beatles first albums it's not too far from the truth, their music was simple and not as musical as other stuff had been, but as they quickly grew, they became undeniable artists, as others in their generation did and very few people fail to see this. I mean, Leonard Bernstein, Ned Rorem, Aaron Copland, Philip Glass.....all highly respected composers of the Classical realm have spoken openly of The Beatles' artistry and other artists of the time such as Brian Wilson, Pete Townshend, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell etc.

I'm only 27........ I am able to hear the genuine quality of artists all the way from the begining of the 20th Century. My collection of music preceeding 1930 is immense, and it's not like I'm stuck in "my 10 year generation of music" which would be the 90s." I love the Hot Fives, the Ellington Orchestra, Charlie Parker is one of my greatest idols, The Andrew Sisters, Bing, Frank, even Jolson..........mainstream music seems to me, had consistent musical value until about 5 years ago, where I feel it's now just the same song over and over with the same skanky message and complete void of musicality. There is no musical identity anymore for this generation. The fact that there's always good music being made is irrelevant to me....I am lucky to have the time and money to purchase and seek it. But as a musician I fear that the generation I will grow with and possibly further generations will have no concept of what quality music is.......The music world is now the Pop Culture world, there's no separation between the two as far as mainstream. And this is because you don't actually need talent to put out a record any longer. The Wall Street Execs know this. Technology can make you sound good and you can sell records as long as you look the part. You don't even need to sing live anymore. Forgetting about that on Sullivan and Bandstand bands used to lipsync, when you saw them live, you were hearing a live performance.....not anymore, and if you are you'll be lucky if they don't have live-correcting autotune filtering everything they do. When Milli Vanilli did it, it ruined their career...........today it ruined Ashlee Simpson's career, but strangely most pop singers don't sing live at their concerts without autotune.

The writing is what bothers me most......that every song needs to be the same 4 chords. The blues and folk have always been basic chords, but unlike the pop that I am referencing to, the blues and folk have used 3 or 4 chords as a way to communicate and improvise something emotional and informative where the musical layout was less a part of what was key in the music. Woody Guthrie singing the Dust Bowl Ballads against the I, IV,V is certainly of higher quality than hearing the same 4 chords in every song about how some girl wants to get drunk at a club etc..............In other words if you're going to use the same 4 chords in every song, you better have something unique to say with your words. That's not the case in today's mainstream....today's mainstream is manufactured by a bunch of money-hungry wallstreet execs with a formula and a team of writers who know that they cannot do anything outside the realm of what is safe. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$, more than ever before, because it's not about the music whatsoever, and that's just that. Maybe grandparents complained about Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Michael Jackson........but for the most part the artists proved their artistry and gave each generation an identity of value. Maybe Elvis is a bit more celebrity than he is musical, as is Michael Jackson.....but no matter what their flaws, the generations that preceded this one had a musical identity, not a pop culture identity.

EDIT: Last thing.......if you take the 70s for instance.....bands like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jethro Tull, Yes, Return To Forever, Weather Report.....they may not have been "mainstream" but back in the 70s mainstream was not only the pop singles......bands like that had a chance at getting a top ten album. This is because the mainstream was much more aware. I mean, Miles Davis had several successful records despite not being mainstream.

May 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #53 of 198
Seems to me we feel the need to be part of a movement in music, why not just enjoy what you have and listen to it rather than getting down on the fact that it's not got the same mass impact as a lot of past music has. When I find great new music there's a part of me that wants to keep it to myself but then you let go a bit and want to spread it to anyone and everyone.. prime examples over the last few year are Joanna Newsom and She & Him (for me at least) - That's where I get my kicks.

May 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #54 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevDo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me we feel the need to be part of a movement in music, why not just enjoy what you have and listen to it rather than getting down on the fact that it's not got the same mass impact as a lot of past music has. When I find great new music there's a part of me that wants to keep it to myself but then you let go a bit and want to spread it to anyone and everyone.. prime examples over the last few year are Joanna Newsom and She & Him (for me at least) - That's where I get my kicks.

I guess I'm just saying that I see music as much more than just something to dance to in a club.....I want to see music do what it is capable of doing.....enlightening a society, making the culture change and think, not get dumbed down and shallow........that's all in the hands of the mainstream.

May 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #55 of 198
I think one way to look at this is what the 2000's/2010's will be remembered for. Perhaps people did have this conversation in the 70's, and maybe some people back then preferred less well known music than the then-mainstream music, but the latter would represent what the 70's was, while the former probably won't be acknowledged. What it means is that few people today listen to less well-known music of today, and even fewer people would listen to less well known music of the 70's. And after a while, nobody will even remember or hear of those less well known pieces of the past.

The point I'm getting at is that in the years of 2040's or 60's, people will look back at today and think, "So people back in the 2000's and 2010's liked Lady Gaga and autotuned artists" And people like you/us would be forgotten and neglected, and the music we like would be lost.

Talking about the future, can you imagine how much crap would be on the radio of the future? Even the DJ might be autotuned :p

Another thing about music like today, is that people like Leona Lewis, who is a very good singer (I hope most people would agree), have albums where their songs are just soooo crap! I just wish that she'd have an album solely for all the songs she's actually good at. But neeeeoooooooouuuu, they have to give her terrible, terrible songs to sing, producing a crappy, compressed, commercial album. Her entire second albums sounds like the same song repeated for 10+ times (I swear to the almighty-omnipotent-god-who'll-guide-us-with-providence that the sounds of the drum are the same in every song, and every other song Ryan Tedder has produced).

It's just sad to see someone with talent being so overwhelmed and controlled by the corporate system. I know the singers have to make a living and complying to the orders of the overminds, but please! can the overminds give people like us a divine gift and bless us with good music?
frown.gif

May 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #56 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm just saying that I see music as much more than just something to dance to in a club.....I want to see music do what it is capable of doing.....enlightening a society, making the culture change and think, not get dumbed down and shallow........that's all in the hands of the mainstream.

I share this opinion with you, but the best description I've heard about art in general (and music in particular) and its role in society is that art is like the fruit (or flower) with society being the plant from which it comes from.

So what we are seeing in music (whether someone think it is good or bad) is just a reflection of the state of society today. We as a society are getting more and more into the prefabricated culture with fast rewards, and individualism can (and does) get lost in that process, and in that process content is no longer created artistically but manufactured. And also, for some music, like classical, appreciating it takes time because it is more complex and not just a catchy tune of 4 or less minutes, so it goes against our instant rewards culture. After all more and more we are getting accustomed that with a click of a button we immediately get whatever we want, and with pervasive computing things are getting even more pronounced ("why wait until I'm in my computer, I'll buy my new igadget from my iphone right now").

Music labels are creating consumers out of kids from an early age, so that by the time they reach adulthood not only do they not question the capitalist system as it is today (the throw away and buy new every year/month/whatever), they also have "poor" taste in music (reading poor as limited), so that they keep consuming fast (not only music). And it seems like some hip-hop and pop artists today are producing commercials of clothing, jewelry, and automobile fetishism instead of music or music videos.

But if society didn't want that kind of manufactured music then they wouldn't buy it and it would disappear, so once again I think music is a reflection of the society that produces it. And since music influences people also, it helps to create a kind of vicious circle. OTOH there are advantages of having more and more people attracted to the music business, and that is that there is more good quality music also, but as others have pointed, you have to dig for it, maybe relatively good music might be less, but in absolute numbers it is more, and there is lots of good music.

May 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #57 of 198
David-
Great thread. At first I thought you were really bemoaning the decline of music. After a reread, I feel you are actually saddened by the poor taste of the masses. You are correct. I detect in you a noble desire for the betterment of society. Alas, they will always let you down. By definition, everyone can't have good taste. Budweiser will always outsell Pilsner Urquell. As the saying goes, "pigs and artists are both appreciated more after they die." If you think the mainstream makes some crazy choices, wait until you have children (if you don't). You can buy them books and send them to school, but . . .

May 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #58 of 198
Thank you all for taking the time to read my complaints a little further, maybe I wasn't innitially clear. Am I wrong to thing that there have been moments in history where music, popular mainstream music, united and moved a culture forward in so many ways? I can think of numerous movements.......swing in the 30s, bop in the 40s (however it could certainly be argued that bop was never ever mainstream, and that's probably true), Croon-pop in 50s, serious rock in the 60s, the concept album in the 70s, the birth of r&b pop in the 80s, grunge and rap in the 90s.

Yes there are certain brief movements I skipped over such as disco, but I'm just saying, where is the guiding voice today?

May 2, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #60 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it me or even live she sound autotuned?
biggrin.gif

Dailymotion - Lady Gaga - Paparazzi | Acoustic Live Nova Radio

do they try to make "live" autotune effects now? is that a new singing school?

the same way buddhist monks do it, you know: YouTube - Throat singing

Didn't hear any autotune on this..........but it's intesting to hear the song bare-boned......it's not very good is it, and it's rather cabaret in approach. The thing which ticks me is the image and weird movements and when shes fully backed by band, all the stupid antics.....I didn't like when Kiss did it and I thought it actually made Elton look less artistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back