Does the AV-710 suck for gaming, or is it just me?
Jan 2, 2007 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Metaphysical

100+ Head-Fier
It seems as though it's hard to place where sounds are coming from while playing CS with the AV-710. Now I'm wondering if this soundcard is inadequate for me. Am I getting shortchanged while listening to music too in regards to soundstage?

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 11
i take it you're using analog.... so did you plugin your speakers to the 7/8 jack?

keep in mind this card isn't as great as the latest creative offerings when compared to gaming.... simply because it doesn't support those fancy EAX effects that games use

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems as though it's hard to place where sounds are coming from while playing CS with the AV-710. Now I'm wondering if this soundcard is inadequate for me. Am I getting shortchanged while listening to music too in regards to soundstage?

Does CS have it's own 3D sound engine or does it rely on EAX? (Half-life 2 and oblivion have their own sound placement algorithms IIRC). If it's the latter, then you are missing out.

As for music, all the soundstage is in the recording, soundcard has nothing to do with it unless it has ungodly levels of stereo crosstalk. Or just really screwed up drivers.

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does CS have it's own 3D sound engine or does it rely on EAX? (Half-life 2 and oblivion have their own sound placement algorithms IIRC). If it's the latter, then you are missing out.

As for music, all the soundstage is in the recording, soundcard has nothing to do with it unless it has ungodly levels of stereo crosstalk. Or just really screwed up drivers.

Yeah, CS uses EAX. How does the X-fi compare to the AV-710 music quality wise? Do the X-Fi cards have an optical out option because i plan to get an external DAC sometime in the futur.

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M-Audio revo has support for EAX, so it works pretty well. I got one a few days ago and the sound in my games is great, but I have no idea if you'll feel the same. (If your going to get the revo make sure it's the 5.1)

thanks for the input.

Now i have the emu 0404 in my sights too. How does the 0404 fair with gaming? I know it has no EAX support. Is the 0404's sound quality that much better than the revo 5.1? damnit, why couldnt they make the 0404 with eax
mad.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the input.

Now i have the emu 0404 in my sights too. How does the 0404 fair with gaming? I know it has no EAX support. Is the 0404's sound quality that much better than the revo 5.1? damnit, why couldnt they make the 0404 with eax
mad.gif

the emu stuff is pretty focused on music editing and creation. even surround sound on them isn't the best aside from the flagship one.

for gaming/DVD's etc it'd be better to go with a revo or similar.

Jan 6, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the emu stuff is pretty focused on music editing and creation. even surround sound on them isn't the best aside from the flagship one.

for gaming/DVD's etc it'd be better to go with a revo or similar.

i'm willing to sacrifice a little surround sound for extra music quality. how far ahead of the revo is the 0404 sound quality wise?

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M-Audio revo has support for EAX, so it works pretty well. I got one a few days ago and the sound in my games is great, but I have no idea if you'll feel the same. (If your going to get the revo make sure it's the 5.1)

Which version? The manufacturer's website only says 'EAX'. They don't mean the first version of EAX do they o.O

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 11
EAX is up to 5.0--that's the version X-fi cards support. As for M-audio Revo 5.1, I have heard conflicting opinions, but never tried the card itself. I think going with bluegears B-inspire/Auzentech X-meridian/Prodigy something will yield better sound quality and probably more extra stuff like Dolby Digital, etc. You won't find EAX beyond 2.0 on non-Creative cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back