Does the AKG K701/2 do anything better than HD800?
Feb 22, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #137 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Key words hare are "personal" and "subject[ive]". Refer to post#128.

Not funny.

I didn't say K702 and HD800 in the same league,but according topic, this is which i found K702 do bettter than HD800.

Price tag is one of refs, but i would not take price tag as everything.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #138 of 194
Side by side comparisons led me to believe that the K701 can be listened to for longer with less fatigue. Sounded more fuller but disintegrated whilst the HD800 was leaner but smoother in comparison. No comparison with sounstage, however this adds to the perceived leaness with a perception of greater detail.

I think if the HD800 treble spike was not so severe over HD650 it may have been perfect for me. As it stands, I prefer the tonal balance of the K701.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #139 of 194
The correct answer is no.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #140 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The correct answer is no.
biggrin.gif

Being a former (mostly) happy AKG K701 owner, I completely agree...NOTHING better to my ears.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #141 of 194
K701, the most enigmatic headphone in history... No one can decide how it actually sounds, but its claimed to be better than any headphone even the most expensive ones.

Some say its bass is anemic, while others say its very deep, some say its unnatural while others say its balanced and neutral, some say its hard to drive, other drive it at low gain, some say its like an Apple-wannabe product, others say it looks retro, some say its grainy, while others say its 'too clean' sounding, some say its better than HD800 while others say there is no comparison...

The only fact that almost everyone seem to agree about K701 is that it needs a lot of time to for it break-in. That's it. Everything else is up there in the air, debated to no end.

But one thing is for sure, curiosity is going to drive a lot of people to try K701, like myself. That is the only to find out and save oneself from clicking on K701 vs X headphone threads.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #142 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701, the most enigmatic headphone in history... No one can decide how it actually sounds, but its claimed to be better than any headphone even the most expensive ones.

Some say its bass is anemic, while others say its very deep, some say its unnatural while others say its balanced and neutral, some say its hard to drive, other drive it at low gain, some say its like an Apple-wannabe product, others say it looks retro, some say its grainy, while others say its 'too clean' sounding, some say its better than HD800 while others say there is no comparison...

The only fact that almost everyone seem to agree about K701 is that it needs a lot of time to for it break-in. That's it. Everything else is up there in the air, debated to no end.

But one thing is for sure, curiosity is going to drive a lot of people to try K701, like myself. That is the only to find out and save oneself from clicking on K701 vs X headphone threads.

Get an ALO K702 then... like I did! Nice upgrade from my stock K701....

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #143 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an ALO K702 then... like I did! Nice upgrade from my stock K701....

x2 for the ALO K702... what a purchase!!

Poetic post there Wali.
k701smile.gif
I felt the way you did, cancelled my order for the T1's and got the K702's instead. No regrets. The T1's will come in time, I guess. Not for now though. So I now have 2 cans with mixed opinions when compared with the HD800's, i.e., a recabled K702 and the Edition 8's.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #144 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No thank you my friend, once i started buying faith with money, there will be no end.

Quote:

Poetic post there Wali.
k701smile.gif
I felt the way you did, cancelled my order for the T1's and got the K702's instead. No regrets. The T1's will come in time, I guess. Not for now though. So I now have 2 cans with mixed opinions when compared with the HD800's, i.e., a recabled K702 and the Edition 8's.
tongue.gif

poetry with typos, my trademark. lol so you're saying ALO K702 is better than HD800?

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #145 of 194
Quote:

No thank you my friend, once i started buying faith with money, there will be no end.

I was reading another thread, about placebo leading to physical change. It would seem that faith is all you need so buy ... buy and buy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

poetry with typos, my trademark. lol so you're saying ALO K702 is better than HD800?

Never tried the HD800, so I can't say. I'm quite sure I will not claim that it's better if or when I do experience the HD800's in their hype'd glory. It's been a while that I've thought one can is better than another. Oh... the last time I felt that way was going from the HD595 to the HD650.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #147 of 194
"Bass is anemic on K701."

Above statement shows that our generation has succumbed into unnatural, distorting and loud bass love. K701 are one of few headphones that can reproduce a bit more accurate bass. Only headphones that do same things are HD800, which cost you a fortune, and perhaps DT48/150 which I have not heard yet.

As I said, K701 are about 85% close to HD800's sound quality. Consider HD800 are at least more than 4 times expensive, K701 are indeed ultimate best for bucks headphones. Thus K701 are my reference headphone for 200~700$ range, since I've yet to find ones that exceed these white AKG.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #148 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello K701/2 dreamers here’s my 2c:

Delusional disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis denoting a psychotic mental disorder that is characterized by holding one or more non-bizarre delusions in the absence of any other significant psychopathology. Non-bizarre delusions are fixed beliefs that are certainly and definitely false, but that could possibly be plausible, for example, someone who thinks he or she is under police surveillance. In order for the diagnosis to be made auditory and visual hallucinations cannot be prominent, although olfactory or tactile hallucinations related to the content of the delusion may be present. To be diagnosed with delusional disorder, the delusion or delusions cannot be due to the effects of a drug, medication, or general medical condition, and delusional disorder cannot be diagnosed in an individual previously diagnosed with schizophrenia. A person with delusional disorder may be high functioning in daily life and may not exhibit odd or bizarre behavior aside from these delusions. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) defines six subtypes of the disorder characterized as erotomanic, grandiose, jealous, persecutory, somatic, and mixed, i.e., having features of more than one subtypes. Delusions also occur as symptoms of many other mental disorders, especially the other psychotic disorders.

And here's your change, Wildman -- 3 cents.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #149 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the general similarities between the K701 and HD800 type of sound, I'm surprised there's this big K701 versus HD800 argument. I guess we're lucky all the Grado people are not coming into this thread.

Yes, yes, yes, so we're all agreed HD800 > K70x!

Well, everyone except for Acix.
biggrin.gif
At least he makes some well-recorded music, I just downloaded the album "Rabbit Dream" yesterday.

Ah, but I think, how much better would it be if he used the HD800 instead of a K702? Or electrostats?
tongue.gif

Hehehe, the 800 have great subbass under the 50Hz, and I like to listen to my music with the 800, but after the 30 sec of the subbass surprise I start to miss the air and the dynamic of my 702. BTW, I think my bass sound okay on the 701/2... right?

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #150 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Poetic post there Wali.
k701smile.gif
tongue.gif

I did the same! I was waiting the T1 from MoonAudio and I've decided to get a Black Dragon K702 in the meanwhile, with dual entry so the cable has been terminated with a 4 pin connector.
I'm using my Roc to drive them and they sound awesome (IMO).
I can't compare with the HD800 but these are fantastic cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back