Does rolling the cable diminsh cable life?
Feb 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

brenttw

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a durable case for my Westone 3s.  After paying good money for it I want to protect them as best I can.  Currently I’m using the small little Westone case that it came with, but I’m worried constant tight winding of the cables to make it fit in there might shorten the cable’s life.  I put my Westone’s in the case daily when I go to the gym.

Do people recommend using larger cases like the Pelican or Otterbox instead of these smaller clam shell type cases to lengthen cable life or am I just being paranoid?

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 18
I think you'd have to worry most about the jack, and the strain relief areas. The bad thing about wrapping cable around one's headphone is because it'll pull on the jack. I'm thinking that Westone, having the reputation in iem as they do, probably won't give you a crappy case, so that you can take care of your iem properly with the case you have (but I've never had a Westone iem). I've had the bigger Shure oval case, and it was big enough that I never worried. If you want something bigger, decent and cheap, try the Shure oval case, they're great.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 18
The case that the Westone 3 comes with has enough space for storing them without winding the cables too tightly. As long as you don't wind the cables too tightly, using the 3/4 finger wrap method for example, then you'll be fine. A pelican or otterbox case is much too big to store the Westone 3 and unnecessary imo - I use those to store my customs. Of course, it never hurts to get a shockproof case like the Otterbox/Pelican for them. It's just not as portable as other cases but if you're ok with that then extra protection is always better. Plus, Weston'e epic cable is quite durable. I'd recommend you wiping the cable down after each use though since mine has stiffened a bit as a result of sweat after some time.  

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm using the UE zippo case, I use the under over wrapping technique, I think as long as you keep in the case and don't wrap it around your player or shove it in your pocket youll be ok

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 18
damn thats the method i use. 4 finger wrap and put it in the westone case.  I guess i should have asked how should i be wrapping my IEMs for storage. 

Quote:
The case that the Westone 3 comes with has enough space for storing them without winding the cables too tightly. As long as you don't wind the cables too tightly, using the 3/4 finger wrap method for example, then you'll be fine. A pelican or otterbox case is much too big to store the Westone 3 and unnecessary imo - I use those to store my customs. Of course, it never hurts to get a shockproof case like the Otterbox/Pelican for them. It's just not as portable as other cases but if you're ok with that then extra protection is always better. Plus, Weston'e epic cable is quite durable. I'd recommend you wiping the cable down after each use though since mine has stiffened a bit as a result of sweat after some time.  

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
damn thats the method i use. 4 finger wrap and put it in the westone case.  I guess i should have asked how should i be wrapping my IEMs for storage. 

Just to clarify, the 3/4 finger wrap or over and under wrapping methods are both fine for storing your IEM. If you already do that and store them in your case, then they will be fine. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 18
Gotta love forums like this, a technique for cable wrapping.
beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 18
You can also try and get a small bag of velcro cable ties for about $4 (http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-90924/dp/B000F5K82A/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329358123&sr=1-3-catcorr). It's a lot easier to manage the cables, and you don't even have to over and under the cables. I 3 finger wrap the cable for Brainwavz M2, it comes with a ridiculously small case. I used to wrap my shure se425 like this - http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u465/Zeuskbd/?action=view&current=Shure2.jpg#!oZZ4QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1069.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fu465%2FZeuskbd%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DShure1.jpg

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 18
Interesting, thanks for the tip

Quote:
You can also try and get a small bag of velcro cable ties for about $4 (http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Reusable-Self-Gripping-Inches-90924/dp/B000F5K82A/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329358123&sr=1-3-catcorr). It's a lot easier to manage the cables, and you don't even have to over and under the cables. I 3 finger wrap the cable for Brainwavz M2, it comes with a ridiculously small case. I used to wrap my shure se425 like this - http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u465/Zeuskbd/?action=view&current=Shure2.jpg#!oZZ4QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1069.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fu465%2FZeuskbd%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DShure1.jpg

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:

X2!

Yes, the supplied case should be fine.  No matter how big the case the key is careful with any tight winds were there is a strain relief or connection.  Avoid that and you should be fine.

May 20, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 18
I randomly start my wraps from both plug or iem side so the cable loses memory from wrapping in the same direction every time. Alternately winding clockwise and counterclockwise for the tip end would do the same but this way I don't need to think about changing my natural rotation or switch dominant hand.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 18
i use 4 finger wrap method, and always wrap it according to the shape of the wire.. means not to wrap it the way it doesn't want to go.
It only wants to go that way because you've given it memory but doing that. They all start out straight. Giving memory makes it less neutral with more tension when actually wearing it.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 18
IMO (and to answer this 5 year old question! :nerd:)

I also always use the 4 finger wrap method. Loosely. Rolling it doesn't necessary shorten its life. What usually shortens a cable's life are the point of solder - plugs and pins areas where they get much movement and bad soldering jobs usually is the culprit. And also the owner "shortens" the cable's life - by selling it and getting an upgrade! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back